Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help with upgrade

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Help with upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 10:19 AM
jawnee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with upgrade

I'm 61 years old and started riding about 6 monthe ago just for the exercise. The bike I started with is a 2011 Marin Stinson comfort "hybrid". All riding is on paved roads. I feel like I'm ready to move up to something better but I really like the way the Stinson feels and rides. Any thoughts on upgrading the components to improve the performance and longevity of the bike? Willing to spend up to $500. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-12-14, 02:47 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Why? why are you bothering what about the bike is an issue for you?
Old 06-12-14, 05:18 PM
jawnee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basically, I want to experience the "feel" and ride of a high end, high quality bike and I want the confidence of knowing that the bike is safe, reliable, and durable.
Old 06-12-14, 05:23 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by jawnee
Basically, I want to experience the "feel" and ride of a high end, high quality bike and I want the confidence of knowing that the bike is safe, reliable, and durable.
I don't see any point in putting money into upgrades if you are happy with how your bike rides. If you really wanted, I would say switch from 7 speed to 8 speed, which would mean changing out the back wheel, switching from a freewheel to a freehub, and upgrading the shifters. But it wouldn't really make your bike all that much better.

If you just want something different, do some research and buy another bike.
Old 06-12-14, 05:34 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to BF, Jawnee!

I always say, "Hey! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

If the time comes that you need a new fork, then get a rigid fork, unless you're satisfied with the fork you have now. In that case, just get a replacement suspended fork. If you need new tires, then just get new tires. That Marin Stinson is a nice riding bike!

Just take it to the friendliest bike shop and have them give it a tune up. That's it! That's all you need to do!

Good Luck!
Old 06-13-14, 08:25 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
High end aint cheap the word Hybrid tells me that bike will never give you the expereince you seek. If you have $ buy a new better bike or just enjoy what you have.
Old 06-13-14, 09:12 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
High end aint cheap the word Hybrid tells me that bike will never give you the expereince you seek. If you have $ buy a new better bike or just enjoy what you have.
Not so...

Some Performance hybrids can approach the speeds of their drop bar road bike rivals. Many other hybrids come equipped with wider wheels and tires. They're quite capable of not only serving best as commuters, but light off road duty, as well. Some, like the Marin Muirwoods, are quite up to the task of doing mild single tracking, as well as some credit card touring to boot. That's in addition to serving as a commuter.

Therefore, I've found that at opposite ends of the spectrum, bikes do specific things very proficiently. However, the hybrid tends to hover about the middle of the spectrum. It can usually perform most tasks that either bike at the opposite ends can achieve, but just not quite as well. The Muirwoods beats a race road bike, with the need to cycle upon a gravelly road. The Performance hybrid beats a mountain bike, when the need for speed on a nicely paved road is required. That goes double for a mtb with full suspension!

So yeah, hybrids can do it all!

...Up to a point!

Last edited by WestPablo; 06-13-14 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-14-14, 01:22 AM
Aqib600
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think, it cannot upgrade because it is very old.
Old 06-14-14, 09:37 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aqib600
I think, it cannot upgrade because it is very old.
This is most certainly NOT true!
Old 06-14-14, 10:20 AM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think the weak point in most hybrid bikes is mediocre (at best) suspension forks. Mostly the manufacturers just throw some kind of suspension fork on there for marketing reasons because it looks cool on the showroom floor. If I bought a good quality hybrid bike, I'd try to get one with either a steel or carbon rigid fork.
Old 06-14-14, 11:47 PM
jawnee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, now I'm only slightly less confused than when I started out. Thanks for all of your imput. I think I'll hold off on any major upgrades for now and just replace/upgrade components on an as needed basis.