Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

26" tubeless road-touring tire options?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

26" tubeless road-touring tire options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-23, 04:27 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Way back in 2007 we tried slime tubes when on the TA. We found that they leaked any way with the thorns. We had trouble with patches not holding (perhaps our technique). The wet mess was a pain if wanting to patch and we found that we did still need to patch them. It did clean up with water, but if you still need to patch there isn't much point. We generally were unhappy with them and quickly went back to regulat tubes.

Maybe the interface between the tube and the tire moved and the thorn kept it from sealing, Perhaps if we had gotten the thorn out it would have sealed itself. That is most of the work of patching though.

A guy in a shop on the ST (deep in thorn country) swore by those heavy thornproof tubes with sealant. They are super heavy though.
Thanks for the input on Slime and patches. I suspect a cleaning with rubbing alcohol might fix that, I carry a one oz bottle of that for my blood sugar meter finger pricking.

Never again on the extra thick rubber inner tubes. I bought one (only for rear, not front) and the valve stem separated from the rubber, the rubber at the valve stem was very thin so any stress was concentrated at that spot. And of course my riding buddy had his camera handy when I had to change tubes.

This was on a road near the Maah Daah Hey trail in North Dakota, lots of thorns. I do not have a mountain bike, so put a suspension fork on my heavy touring bike so I could pretend it was a mountain bike. The frame was designed for a 100mm suspension fork.

And to be on topic for this thread, yes they were 26 inch tires, Schwalbe Marathon Extremes, no longer produced.

The good news was never had a puncture.
Old 11-28-23, 05:00 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
And to be on topic for this thread, yes they were 26 inch tires, Schwalbe Marathon Extremes, no longer produced.
The good news was never had a puncture.
They also made the Marathon Supreme, which was my go-to for a while. But they discontinued. We rode 700s but I think they made the Supreme in 26, too.
Old 11-28-23, 05:01 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I regularly ride several different bikes each year, and average one puncture a year. So, I would spend a lot more time and effort maintaining my tubeless sealant than I would patching tubes. So, I agree with you.

And one of my bikes, tires gets switched in winter to studs, so that certainly would be the wrong bike to go tubeless.

Amen. I get so few flats (zero in 2023 for myself and the Ms..maybe one last year between us) that I would spend faaar more time and faaaaar more money futzing with all things tubeless than I'd ever get back from it.

With respect to the OP's question..I tour on 26 inch wheels and have run Schwalbe Big Bens (26x2.1) for several years. Great tire. Lightweight for it's size, supple, low rolling resistance, fast and a cushy ride to boot. No clue if they can be run tubeless. I also run Schwalbe Marathon Supremes (26x2 and no longer available) on another bike. Also a very nice tire..the Big Bens are not much different and a better choice for touring.
Old 11-28-23, 05:48 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Thanks for the input on Slime and patches. I suspect a cleaning with rubbing alcohol might fix that, I carry a one oz bottle of that for my blood sugar meter finger pricking.
We didn't try too hard to resolve the patching issues. I figured that if we were still patching the slime wasn't working and we went back to regular tubes.

My recent experience tells me that tubeless probably would eliminate the need to bother with any patching in goathead country. I have not toured with tubeless though. It has been awesome for my daily mountain biking though.
Old 12-01-23, 07:59 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
sapporfeller--found this re d d it page. Probably not much more info than already here, but you may want to look at it.
Btw, why are these r d i t pages censored?

https://www.******.com/r/xbiking/com...ubeless_tires/
Old 12-01-23, 10:31 AM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Originally Posted by djb
sapporfeller--found this re d d it page. Probably not much more info than already here, but you may want to look at it.
Btw, why are these r d i t pages censored? https://www.******.com/r/xbiking/com...ubeless_tires/
Thanks, this is very helpful, although it confirms my worries about slim choice for touring-oriented tires with a more roady tread. The RH, Surly and GravelKing seem to come closest.
Here's a link in case anyone wants to click and not fill in the "******"
Old 12-01-23, 11:47 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy
Thanks, this is very helpful, although it confirms my worries about slim choice for touring-oriented tires with a more roady tread. The RH, Surly and GravelKing seem to come closest.
Here's a link in case anyone wants to click and not fill in the "******"
yea nothing gets by the filter.....even your link
Old 12-01-23, 12:06 PM
sapporoguy

FWIW, I just got an email response from Schwalbe saying that it discontinued the 26" Marathon Almotion because of not enough demand.
Old 12-01-23, 03:56 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy
FWIW, I just got an email response from Schwalbe saying that it discontinued the 26" Marathon Almotion because of not enough demand.
lets face it, thats the logical thing going on for a tire company--or any doohicky making company, if you arent selling enough thingees, you stop making them.
It's a drag for me personally as I still love my 26 wheeled bike, and while there are still good tires avail, it's too bad that the newer better stuff is not usually available now.