Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can this Huret Derailleur Bolt be Removed?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-24, 03:32 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts

I have a Simplex rear derailleur without jockey wheels. I would like to use the ones off this Huret derailleur. However, I cannot get the bolt removed with a quality screwdriver, force, and blue language. The bottom came right out but the top bolt is integral with the pivot. Any advice?

Old 01-29-24, 04:15 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,913 Times in 1,143 Posts
Remove the tension on the return spring, and look carefully behind the spring and body. You should be able to get a 13mm cone wrench on the nut securing the cage assembly to the body. Hold that in place and then loosen the nut securing the body (there should be a 10mm nut between the rails.) The alternate method of attaching the cage would be a thin 13mm lock nut securing the cage assembly to a parallel pivot arm. When the cage is off, loosen the nut holding the cage together, and then the screw can be removed. Take it one step at a time and you will be able to remove the upper pulley. Those jockey wheels are lubricated ball bearing and difficult to find. I would put the original pulley back on and keep the derailleur intact.
Jockeys are easily found for a just a few dollars for the Shimano variety. It would be a shame for you to send this derailleur off the the scrap yard for having been parted out. HTH, MH
Old 01-29-24, 04:28 PM
Jicafold

Thank you. I will give that a try. Thank you. Understand that I have some Shimano jockey wheels and bolts right in front of me. Neither one works on Huret or Simplex. The inner diameter of the wheels is different, and of course, so is the threading of the bolts.
Old 01-29-24, 05:40 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,913 Times in 1,143 Posts
@Jicafold,
I use Chaser tech pulleys for rebuilds. They are sealed bearing pulleys that can come with spacer shims that can adapt to 5mm or 6mm. The inner diameter of the Chaser tech is 7mm so they fit just about all derailleurs. I have posted pictures and the link to them is n the Rebuilding a Campy rear derailleur. Hope this helps you, The Chaser tech comes in different tooth count as well, 10t is normal size. Price is about $16 per pair. (for comparison Bulls Eye pulleys are about $50 when you can find them).
Smiles, MH
BTW the inner diameter of the Huret is different for the upper and lower pulleys.
Old 01-29-24, 10:32 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
If you use Chaser Tech pulleys be careful with the color. Red will make you go much much faster immediately. Green will turn you into a retro-grouch and you will immediately slow down and start thinking of long tours in the woods. Ahem.
Old 01-30-24, 08:53 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
I have a Simplex rear derailleur without jockey wheels. I would like to use the ones off this Huret derailleur. However, I cannot get the bolt removed with a quality screwdriver, force, and blue language. The bottom came right out but the top bolt is integral with the pivot. Any advice?
That looks like a Huret Success, which was a pretty nice derailleur in the 1970s. Generic sealed bearing jockey wheels are a couple of bucks on Ali Express, not much more on Amazon.
Old 01-30-24, 09:00 AM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by grumpus
That looks like a Huret Success, which was a pretty nice derailleur in the 1970s. Generic sealed bearing jockey wheels are a couple of bucks on Ali Express, not much more on Amazon.
As I was saying in the original post, I am removing the wheels from this derailer, not adding them. I want to put them on a different Simplex derailer. Here’s a sample picture of the other derailleur. The Simplex does not have the wheels. I want to put the wheels from the Huret on the Simplex. The problem with generic pulley wheels is the size.
Old 01-30-24, 10:40 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 336 Posts
As I was saying in the original post, I am removing the wheels from this derailer, not adding them.
Indeed. I was questioning your decision to part it out.
I want to put them on a different Simplex derailer. Here’s a sample picture of the other derailleur. The Simplex does not have the wheels. I want to put the wheels from the Huret on the Simplex. The problem with generic pulley wheels is the size.
The ones I've used I just drill the aluminium centres to suit the mounting bolts I'm using, and space with washers to suit the width of the cage.

​​​​​​​
Old 01-30-24, 01:17 PM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by grumpus
Indeed. I was questioning your decision to part it out.
It was missing the label. I wish I had that or I would keep it as is. Thank you. Maybe I could make a label on a printer and clear coat it. I don't know. Which is a better derailleur?

Last edited by Jicafold; 01-30-24 at 02:37 PM.