Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

You're so fit...so has anyone mistaken your age?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

You're so fit...so has anyone mistaken your age?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-23, 08:09 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The irony is that you are actually drawing attention to yourself in this thread with a rather self-righteous attitude. If you think the subject of the thread is pointless then why bother participating? There are hundreds of threads posted on BF that I have no personal interest in, so I don't bother reading them. Threads often repeat themselves multiple times too, it's nothing unusual here.
People keep asking me about my answer to post 26. Trying to explain it. If you didn't keep responding, I wouldn't have to answer then would I? Best thing to do is let it die, correct?
Old 11-03-23, 08:17 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek
Can somebody explain how cycling can make somebody look younger, so that people around are frequently mistaken about the person age?

We are talking here about LOOKS, not necessarily fitness, and that can be achieved mostly thanks to genetics and few other factors. Biking barely shows on the radar screen, and it can be actually detrimental due to possible, excessive sun exposure and stress (see cortisol).

If somebody has good genetics, eats healthy, exercise moderately (walking will suffice), avoids smoking and alcohol, excessive sun exposure and stress, and takes basic care of the skin then this somebody has done all to stay healthy and look relatively young when compared with others not so lucky with genetics and having abusive lifestyle. Biking will not change that in any significant way.

Here is quick list from google-bard:

Factors that can contribute to older people looking younger than their peers:
  • Genetics: Some people are simply born with genes that make them age more slowly. This can include genes that affect the production of collagen and elastin, which are proteins that help keep skin looking youthful.
  • Lifestyle: Certain lifestyle choices can also play a role in how quickly a person ages. For example, people who eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep tend to look younger than those who do not.
  • Environment: Exposure to environmental toxins, such as cigarette smoke and UV rays, can accelerate the aging process. Therefore, people who avoid these toxins are more likely to look younger.
  • Skin care: A good skin care routine can also help to keep skin looking youthful. This includes using products that protect the skin from the sun, hydrate it, and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
Here are some specific things that older people can do to look younger:
  • Protect their skin from the sun by wearing sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses when outdoors.
  • Eat a healthy diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
  • Exercise regularly.
  • Get enough sleep.
  • Manage stress.
  • Use a good skin care routine.
I think it's more that cyclists (especially those on a dedicated cycling forum who are likely to be cycling on a daily basis) are far more likely to actually follow the above "Google" guidelines than the general population - who most certainly don't according to every statistic I've read. I believe genetics accounts for about 15% of our biological ageing and those "few other factors" are the other 85%, with exercise considered one of, if not THE most important factor. Look how much Hitler aged in his appearance over the course of WWII. He looked about 80 by the end of 1944 when he was actually still only about 55.

BTW I find books written by leading experts far more useful than Google-bard for learning about stuff.
Old 11-03-23, 08:21 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
But you're just looking at one sport. If after a 2 handed flush or a long 3, you go camera looking and break out into a pose/ ______ yell(left it blank because every word might be offensive these days), that's when the other team runs it back up the court and jams it leaving you looking like a fool. You have to keep the focus and get back on defense. You can't let up and take a bow.
Again, "Act as if . . . ." The quote says that "it's OK to forget, for a moment, about concentrating and focusing. Enjoy your moment in the spotlight. Just be cool about it."

It's showmanship. It's also Gamesmanship, in Stephen Potter's original meaning of the term.
Old 11-03-23, 08:23 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by seypat
People keep asking me about my answer to post 26. Trying to explain it. If you didn't keep responding, I wouldn't have to answer then would I? Best thing to do is let it die, correct?
Well post 26 was one to ignore in the first place, like nearly everyone else managed to do. But you must have known your response to it would provoke some negative reaction. Painting a caricature of some fictional mid-life pretend "athlete" was a bit lame IMO.
Old 11-03-23, 10:11 AM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
I think it's more that cyclists (especially those on a dedicated cycling forum who are likely to be cycling on a daily basis) are far more likely to actually follow the above "Google" guidelines than the general population - who most certainly don't according to every statistic I've read. I believe genetics accounts for about 15% of our biological ageing and those "few other factors" are the other 85%, with exercise considered one of, if not THE most important factor. Look how much Hitler aged in his appearance over the course of WWII. He looked about 80 by the end of 1944 when he was actually still only about 55.

BTW I find books written by leading experts far more useful than Google-bard for learning about stuff.
"genetics accounts for about 15%" that is bold statement, but can this be backed up by something more than "I believe"? I have not seen this number before, and I am not even sure how to define such a number, but if asked my casual guess based on my life experiences, knowing many people, would be 60-80%. In other words, most people that I know and are looking young have little to do with sports, exercise or healthy eating. They look young and so did they parents.

However, why not ask google-bard that generates answer based on papers and "books written by leading experts" ?

"The exact percentage of how much genetics is responsible for people looking young is still under investigation, but estimates range from 40% to 70%."

If somebody wants to dig in please have fun and follow up on specific genes:
"
  • MC1R: This gene is responsible for red hair and pale skin. People with two copies of the variant form of this gene tend to look older than people with the non-variant form.
  • IRF4: This gene is involved in skin pigmentation and repair. People with certain variants of this gene are more likely to develop wrinkles and age spots.
  • TYR: This gene is involved in melanin production. People with certain variants of this gene are more likely to have dark skin and be less susceptible to sun damage, which can help them to maintain a youthful appearance."

Last edited by rowerek; 11-03-23 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-03-23, 10:27 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
"You're so fit I bet you think this thread is about you." A slightly paraphrased Carly Simon.

A thought on Hitler's aging - could this be a vitamin D deficiency? His last years were near entirely indoors and I doubt his diet was good. My dad had rickets as a kid in the '30s. Yes, Hitler's rapid aging was a decade plus later and I presume far more was known about vitamin D but it was also war-time Germany and a time of virtually no fresh produce. And the idea of nutritional enlightenment in the Hitler inner circles seems rather unlikely to me.
Old 11-03-23, 11:48 AM
PeteHski

"genetics accounts for about 15%" that is bold statement, but can this be backed up by something more than "I believe"? I have not seen this number before, and I am not even sure how to define such a number, but if asked my casual guess based on my life experiences, knowing many people, would be 60-80%. In other words, most people that I know and are looking young have little to do with sports, exercise or healthy eating. They look young and so did they parents.

However, why not ask google-bard that generates answer based on papers and "books written by leading experts" ?

"The exact percentage of how much genetics is responsible for people looking young is still under investigation, but estimates range from 40% to 70%."

If somebody wants to dig in please have fun and follow up on specific genes:
"
  • MC1R: This gene is responsible for red hair and pale skin. People with two copies of the variant form of this gene tend to look older than people with the non-variant form.
  • IRF4: This gene is involved in skin pigmentation and repair. People with certain variants of this gene are more likely to develop wrinkles and age spots.
  • TYR: This gene is involved in melanin production. People with certain variants of this gene are more likely to have dark skin and be less susceptible to sun damage, which can help them to maintain a youthful appearance."
I got that figure from David Sinclair's book Lifespan. Although it is more based on overall biological ageing and healthspan rather than just cosmetic looks. Yeah we can all Google stuff, but reading actual books weeds out all the noise, misinformation and complete bs. I realise Sinclair tends to be optimistic about ageing, but he is a World leading expert on the subject. I'm currently reading Peter Attia's book "Outlive" which also has some great insights into ageing.

Try Googling "Is Google Bard a reliable source of accurate factual information"
Old 11-03-23, 11:51 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
"You're so fit I bet you think this thread is about you." A slightly paraphrased Carly Simon.

A thought on Hitler's aging - could this be a vitamin D deficiency? His last years were near entirely indoors and I doubt his diet was good. My dad had rickets as a kid in the '30s. Yes, Hitler's rapid aging was a decade plus later and I presume far more was known about vitamin D but it was also war-time Germany and a time of virtually no fresh produce. And the idea of nutritional enlightenment in the Hitler inner circles seems rather unlikely to me.
I was thinking more of the extreme stress and cocktail of daily drugs (including cocaine) fed by his ludicrous personal physcian!
Old 11-03-23, 12:39 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
I got that figure from David Sinclair's book Lifespan. Although it is more based on overall biological ageing and healthspan rather than just cosmetic looks. Yeah we can all Google stuff, but reading actual books weeds out all the noise, misinformation and complete bs. I realise Sinclair tends to be optimistic about ageing, but he is a World leading expert on the subject. I'm currently reading Peter Attia's book "Outlive" which also has some great insights into ageing.

Try Googling "Is Google Bard a reliable source of accurate factual information"
I looked up "David Sinclair's book Lifespan". Based on reviews, to say it gently, he is more of writer and book seller than a peer reviewed scientist.

This is a summarizing comment published in a leading scientific journal:
"Writing in Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Charles Brenner summarized that Lifespan has
"become an influential source of MISINFORMATION on longevity, featuring counterfactual claims about longevity genes being conserved between yeast and humans, the existence of supposed activators of these genes, and claimed successful age reversal in mice based on partial reprogramming
"

Based on that it looks like Mr. Sinclair is just another pseudo-scientist and a fraud, craving for attention and money.
Old 11-03-23, 01:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
I looked up "David Sinclair's book Lifespan". Based on reviews, to say it gently, he is more of writer and book seller than a peer reviewed scientist.

"Writing in Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Charles Brenner summarized that Lifespan has
"become an influential source of MISINFORMATION on longevity, featuring counterfactual claims about longevity genes being conserved between yeast and humans, the existence of supposed activators of these genes, and claimed successful age reversal in mice based on partial reprogramming
"

Based on that it looks like Mr. Sinclair is just another pseudo-scientist and a fraud, craving for attention and money.
Sounds like Mr. Sinclair's book is just the thing for bicyclists craving for attention about allegedly being "so fit" and/or allegedly having a more youthful appearance than the people they choose to compare themselves with.

This review of the science of Sinclair's book is quite revealing
A Science-Based Review of the World’s Best-Selling Book on Aging

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 11-03-23 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-03-23, 01:30 PM
PeteHski

"

LOL. It looks like you researched this book really thoroughly with an open mind. Yes, Sinclair has his critics and the subject itself is highly controversial, but he is very much a legit peer reviewed scientist. He is certainly not a pseudo-scientist or fraud as you have concluded with obvious bias just to score some forum points.

btw Charles Brenner is also a legit scientist, but there is a commercial conflict of interest between Brenner and Sinclair which may well have influenced his outspoken critique of Sinclair's book. But regardless, the book is full of insight into the cutting-edge science of ageing written specifically for the layman reader.
Old 11-03-23, 01:32 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Sounds like Mr. Sinclair's book is just the thing for bicyclists craving for attention about allegedly being "so fit" and/or allegedly having a more youthful appearance than the people they choose to compare themselves with.
I was wondering how long it would be before you showed up with that chip on your shoulder again.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-03-23, 02:55 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
it is not quite 3pm my time and so far I have consumed 2 pastries (berry croissant and raspberry scone)3 large coffees no creamer tho, a mcdonalds cheeseburger and fries and two cokes and 3 beers a couple of milkyway candy bars left over from Halloween and now I am getting ready to go and put some miles on the bike.
Old 11-03-23, 07:43 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
David Sinclair and all the other internet longevity gurus out there are just a bunch of frauds... It's just impossible for any human being who lives and works out in the real world to put their longevity dogmas into practice. I have no desire to live inside a sterilized safety climate controlled bubble like some of these longevity gurus.... I hate to break this fact to you, but if it's your time to go there is nothing you or anybody can do about it.
Old 11-03-23, 08:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
it is not quite 3pm my time and so far I have consumed 2 pastries (berry croissant and raspberry scone)3 large coffees no creamer tho, a mcdonalds cheeseburger and fries and two cokes and 3 beers a couple of milkyway candy bars left over from Halloween and now I am getting ready to go and put some miles on the bike.
What do you eat when you feel like throwing caution to the wind?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-04-23, 06:05 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by wolfchild
David Sinclair and all the other internet longevity gurus out there are just a bunch of frauds... It's just impossible for any human being who lives and works out in the real world to put their longevity dogmas into practice. I have no desire to live inside a sterilized safety climate controlled bubble like some of these longevity gurus.... I hate to break this fact to you, but if it's your time to go there is nothing you or anybody can do about it.
You are clearly the real deal when it comes to authority on this subject. Never mind science, actual qualifications and experience.
Old 11-04-23, 06:57 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Sure it is possible to put dogma of internet longevity (and other "health" and "fitness") gurus and salesmen into practice. The success of such practices can be psychic if not physical. Browsing the numerous posts of several BF 55+ posters on the subject provides evidence that the gurus, hucksters, and pitchmen for performance enhancement/heath cures have found a responsive audience among some bicycling enthusiasts. The often emotional defense of such promotions, to include ad hominem arguments against rational and skeptical argument, is evidence of the strength of the appeal to ageing bicycling enthusiasts and self described bicycling "athletes" of obtaining "performance" enhancement and/or a return to youthful appearance through chemicals, dietary supplements, and special dietary and "training" regimens, etc.

The bottom line is true believers will believe and no rational argument can convince them otherwise.
Old 11-04-23, 07:06 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
You are clearly the real deal when it comes to authority on this subject. Never mind science, actual qualifications and experience.
Have you seen the type of lifestyle that some of these longevity experts follow and advocate ?...It's just way too strict, regimented, structured, sheltered, clean and sterile. Unrealistic to follow for majority of people who have to be working out in the real world on daily basis.
Old 11-04-23, 07:11 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
David Sinclair and all the other internet longevity gurus out there are just a bunch of frauds...
It appears to me that both of them (Sinclair and Brenner) have done actual science of relevance. However, it’s easy to see how a scientist could be tempted to get far out over his or her skis with regard to what is properly known and verified in a very complex field when “anti-aging” is becoming such a big business and investors are eager to put big money behind something that can sell and to do so quickly.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 11-04-23 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-04-23, 07:19 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Have you seen the type of lifestyle that some of these longevity experts follow and advocate ?
I listened to Tom Brady being interviewed on the radio a couple of years ago. He explained his exercise and diet regimens. He credited his ability to play and recover from injury to his lifestyle. I remember thinking then that Patrick Mahomes will not have the career that Brady had because he doesn't appear to be following the same routines. If Mahomes can't/won't it is no wonder us regular folk with jobs, families and life's stressors can't/won't. That being said, while I was never a capable athlete, I wish I would have done better because I'm pretty sure I could have. But home brewing was another hobby of mine and I enjoy thick sliced bacon, cheese, wine, steaks, ice cream, bourbon, fried foods...

Old 11-04-23, 07:25 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
My skin looks good. My secret? Oily pizza.
Old 11-04-23, 08:42 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by ofajen
It appears to me that both of them (Sinclair and Brenner) have done actual science of relevance. However, it’s easy to see how a scientist could be tempted to get far out over his or her skis with regard to what is properly known and verified in a very complex field when “anti-aging” is becoming such a big business and investors are eager to put big money behind something that can sell and to do so quickly.

Otto
Not only big business and investors eager to buy into this field but eager enthusiasts looking for a miracle potion, cure or "fountain of youth" regimen to give them an edge.
Old 11-04-23, 09:11 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
What do you eat when you feel like throwing caution to the wind?
double whooper with cheese, whooper jr, onion rings and large chocolate shake chased by a frozen coke...I ate 10 mcdonald cheese burgers once....my buddy ate 20. true story, after 10 I was done..he had eaten like 15 of them and let out a groan and I started laughing and he looked at me shook his head and polished off the other 5, called me an amature. That was after running the Seattle Marathon.

Last edited by jadmt; 11-04-23 at 10:56 AM.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 11-04-23, 09:28 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by ofajen

Otto
If you read Sinclair's book he is pretty open about his enthusiasm for his team's research. He readily admits that it is very early days, vastly underfunded and there is a LOT more to be discovered. He also admits that some branches of research will inevitably lead to a dead end. But these guys are top professional scientists with decades of experience working with other top professional researchers around the world. If you are going to read anything about the science of ageing, these are the books to read. Peter Attia's book "Outlive" is also interesting, written from a slightly different perspective as a practicing physician.

Last edited by PeteHski; 11-04-23 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-04-23, 09:30 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Not only big business and investors eager to buy into this field but eager enthusiasts looking for a miracle potion, cure or "fountain of youth" regimen to give them an edge.
Plenty of exercise, low stress and a mainly plant based diet is actually the key take home from what I've read.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.