Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

One Year of Solid Commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 11:59 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One year ago today I left public transportation behind and got back on a bike I purchased in 1998. I've riden that bike to work every single day I've worked since...rain, sleet, ice, snow, wind, more ice, you name it, I've riden through it. (It's a short 4.5 miles each way.)

Posting here on the forum has been a great way to learn about commuting and gather tips and gear advice. I never, in a million years, would have thought I would be a bike commuter. Now that I am, I can't believe I waited so long to do it.

Salute to everyone on here.
Old 09-29-11, 12:41 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
You sound very much like me. I have now been commuting for 5 years and will never look back. I also commuted via public transit(bus) but was forced to leave it because of budget cuts and the loss of the line that ran by my house. My commute is 4.95 miles each way and I love it, most of the time.

Commuting by bicycle is very rewarding as you arrive at work full of energy and not sleepy like you do when riding the bus.

Congratulations on reaching one full year and here’s to another full year!
Old 09-29-11, 12:47 PM
VaBobK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on your one year anniversary! I just bought a bike and will soon be joining you in the DC bike commuter club. All I need is a little more training time to acclimate myself to riding after a couple of decades away from bikes. Another few weeks and I should be ready to brave the 10 mile commute from Alexandria into DC!
Old 09-29-11, 01:02 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on a year. I was really surprised at how much I liked commuting by bike, myself. In a couple of weeks, it will be two years for me. I'm 12 miles from work and don't ride every day, but I'm on a pace to have over 200 rides to work this year.
Old 09-29-11, 01:35 PM
buzzbee

Bikes: 33yr old mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
way to go!
comparatively, I got it easy with CA weather (no snow or ice).
been commuting full or part time 20 years, got 100K on the 1983 mtn bike.
just keep moving....
Old 09-29-11, 01:39 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Good job! Why did you pick my birth day? I started in January, so I still have a ways to go.
Old 09-29-11, 01:45 PM
JPinWI

Bikes: Schwinn DBX, Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome! That is a very good feeling I'm sure. I bail on my bike commute in the winter....
Old 09-29-11, 03:06 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's exactly how I started. I never would have ridden a bike in winter if it weren't for the folks here at BF. Thanks to all of the advice I've read I'm starting thru my fifth winter this year. Good job! Keep it up and ride safe.
Old 09-29-11, 04:58 PM
BridgeNotTunnel
TortoiseNotHare

Bikes: Giant Escape 2 Hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by buzzbee
been commuting full or part time 20 years, got 100K on the 1983 mtn bike....
super awesome

Congrats on the year.

I just joined this forum this month, and have been riding since last November here in New York. I am looking forward to racking up a whole year.

I am familiar with forums, but it had not occurred to me to join one dedicated to cycling/bike commuting until I realized how much I must bore people with the topic.

Here, I'm learning new terms like, "cager", and "MUP".

Solid repair, modification, and gear advice. Check.

Ive found just about every opinion regarding cycling/bike commuting.

And, I can blather my own dumb bike commuting related crap without as much fear of boring people to death.

Cheers!
Old 09-29-11, 06:40 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more hearty congratulations! Very few of us start out and ride every day of work for the first year. That's alot of tenacity demonstated. Hope your employer notices and offers you a position of trust and responsibility...or heck, maybe you need to start your own business.

Btw, this thread reminds me I'm coming up on 25 years as a cycle-commuter/utility cyclist...started in February of 1987. It just keeps getting better.
Old 09-29-11, 09:51 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Way to go. I would be coming up on a year if it weren't for the sinus infection from hell I had on and off until June. After four rounds of antibiotics, Ive been recommitted the last month to riding regularly. I used to drive the morning after I play basketball but today I rode even though I played basketball til late the night before. I totaled up all of the money I'll save and the miles I'll log in a year and got excited to stick with it. Thanks for posting, it helps me stay inspired as I try to get many consistent miles behind me.
Old 09-29-11, 10:22 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Nice!

For the past couple of years, I've done sporadic commuting to help get in shape for Ragbrai. After which, I would swear I was going to get around by bike as much as I could, but would actually lose interest in biking until the next spring. This year, I didn't get many miles in before Ragbrai, and caught the commuting bug afterword. This forum certainly helped.

- Scott
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-30-11, 09:38 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats. Do you use studded tires in the winter snow/ice? I'm going to attempt to ride as deep into winter as I can this year.
Old 09-30-11, 09:40 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Congratulations. That is quite an accomplishment riding every day. I started bike commuting 4.5 years ago with the intention of riding once a week on Fridays and pretty soon was riding almost every day. It's addicting.
Old 10-01-11, 12:05 AM
clawhammer72

Bikes: 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congratulations! I am one month in to solid commuting. In the past it's always been on and off, and then it rains, and it's off and off. This summer, though, I sold my car, and now I'm committed. Any tips about riding in the rain? I'm installing fenders, getting a new jacket, and looking for some waterproof panniers or a bag. Anything I'm missing? I'm also in SoCal, so rain is the worst weather I'll face, and that's going to be sporadic.
Old 10-01-11, 12:52 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clawhammer72
Congratulations! I am one month in to solid commuting. In the past it's always been on and off, and then it rains, and it's off and off. This summer, though, I sold my car, and now I'm committed. Any tips about riding in the rain? I'm installing fenders, getting a new jacket, and looking for some waterproof panniers or a bag. Anything I'm missing? I'm also in SoCal, so rain is the worst weather I'll face, and that's going to be sporadic.
Let's see...a golf visor to keep rain water off your goggles. Does the same job as a baseball cap, but allows heat to escape from one's head lowering sweat rate. Get some clear goggles from Home Depot or Lowes and drill four 1/8" holes across the top of each lense to allow heat to escape. It prevents fogging while stopped at lights. Gaiters for your feet and lower legs. Plenty of waterproof blinkies both front and rear. 2 pair of full-fingered cycling gloves w/oversized rubber outer layer. Keeps from having to wear wet gloves homeward. Can't think of anything else. Keep going!
Old 10-01-11, 05:58 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcb23
One year ago today I left public transportation behind and got back on a bike I purchased in 1998. I've riden that bike to work every single day I've worked since...rain, sleet, ice, snow, wind, more ice, you name it, I've riden through it. (It's a short 4.5 miles each way.)

Posting here on the forum has been a great way to learn about commuting and gather tips and gear advice. I never, in a million years, would have thought I would be a bike commuter. Now that I am, I can't believe I waited so long to do it.

Salute to everyone on here.
Similar story here as well. I was 40, slightly overweight, smoker for a lot of years and was recently diagnosed with HBP. I hadn't been on a bike in 20 years. But after just a year and a half, my BP now averages 118/68 and 22 miles ain't nothin'.

But if not for those already out there on the road and the individuals posting here, I probably never would have had the inspiration to even try it. I used to think to myself how crazy those cyclists were riding on the expressway like that...lol. Congrats!
Old 10-01-11, 08:08 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
love it!
Old 10-02-11, 03:03 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
dcp: care to share what you have learned since you have been cummiting? tips? suggestions? how you ride in snow and ice?