Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Time Trial Bikes Vs Regular Road Bikes on their uses

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 06:51 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am thinking in future of getting a TT bike. For use in doing local Time Trials.
Other then using a the TT bike for a time trial or Tri. What other practical uses can i use it for?
As in with the lower rider position. Would I be able to ride the bike on regular recreation rides that has many hills. Would the gearing on a TT bike be too big for proper hill climbing etc?

Just want to justify the costs and uses of a TT bike over just using my regular Roadie for everything.
Old 07-10-13, 07:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'd be interested to hear from riders of TT bikes who use them for other than time trials. I see riders on TT bikes who don't appear to be competitive, and think, "why?".
Old 07-10-13, 07:09 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I think a TT bike would be useful if you do a lot of solo riding and want maximum aero benefits. Although if you're riding solo, do you really care that you were able to shave a few seconds/minutes off your time? I've seen rando guy use aero bars to help on a long ride with lots of headwind, but I dont know if a full TT bike would have the comfort for long rando rides.
Old 07-10-13, 07:14 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Some people actually find the aero position of a TT bike quite comfortable, and as a result, are able to spend hours riding like that. So, yeah, you could do lots of riding on the bike - and really, you need to spend a lot of time on at TT bike to get used to it and get the most out of it.
Old 07-10-13, 08:33 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
OP...this maybe an interesting thread. Many for example choose to mount aero bars on their road bike and this many times flies in the face of what 'purists' believe a road bike should be. I am not so sure. Aero bars aren't just for cheating the wind and riding faster. Aero bars with elbow pads allow supporting the upper body with the skeleton and not musculature. This is a good hedge against fatigue for long training hours in the saddle. The same can be applied to TT bikes which are popular for training long solo riding distances. So it just isn't about speed. Further, one can set up aero bars a bit less aggressive to allow for elbow supported riding that isn't uncomfortable...in other words where aero profile compromises comfort which maybe the priority when racing. Many do find the TT position comfortable...and likely those that aren't set up uber aggressive. Also different TT bike models like roadbikes have different geometry. Some are short and high and others long and low depending on rider shape and position preference. I have considered purchasing a TT bike for training in fact and not for dedicated racing. I would set the bike up toward the comfort spectrum and not nth degree speed which would put a bit more pressure on my aging back and neck.

A last note about converting a roadbike with aero bars. If you know what you are doing, you will get a better if not more comfortable fit on a TT bike. The simple reason is...TT bikes are shorter and sta is more upright to open the hip angle to make a more horizontal back angle more comfortable. So having a dedicated TT bike isn't a bad idea if you want to do long distance solo training.

I will be interested in the experience of others as well.
Old 07-10-13, 08:52 AM
mshred
It do, but it don't.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i really like riding my road bike with aero bars. my aero bar set up isnt as aggressive as i would probably set up a dedicated TT bike. like mentioned above though, i'm not necessarily trying to squeek out every second of my training rides and i find they way i have it now is very comfortable.

i do like having the gearing of my road bike. i can spin up hills easily, or get out of the saddle and mash up the hills as well.

i will say if you plan to spend much time on the bars or in an aero position, not having the shifters at the end of the bars is a little annoying. going back and forth from the bars to the hoods/shifters is a minor annoyance.

i can't speak to how one might use a TT bike other than time trialing. just sharing my road bike/aero bar experience.
Old 07-10-13, 09:16 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride my TT bike in time trial races and to prepare for races. That is all.

I don't prefer it for either climbing or descending, because of gearing & weight for climbing, and lack of braking for descending.
Old 07-10-13, 09:17 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mshred
i really like riding my road bike with aero bars. my aero bar set up isnt as aggressive as i would probably set up a dedicated TT bike. like mentioned above though, i'm not necessarily trying to squeek out every second of my training rides and i find they way i have it now is very comfortable.

i do like having the gearing of my road bike. i can spin up hills easily, or get out of the saddle and mash up the hills as well.

i will say if you plan to spend much time on the bars or in an aero position, not having the shifters at the end of the bars is a little annoying. going back and forth from the bars to the hoods/shifters is a minor annoyance.

i can't speak to how one might use a TT bike other than time trialing. just sharing my road bike/aero bar experience.
I believe what is overlooked is...if one is going to time trial, then they are going to have to train and to be competitive, that means long training sessions in the saddle. The best way to train for TT's is on a TT bike.
Old 07-10-13, 09:55 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I'd be interested to hear from riders of TT bikes who use them for other than time trials. I see riders on TT bikes who don't appear to be competitive, and think, "why?".
My main bike is a tri/TT bike.
Why?
Simple: because I just love to ride it.
Cost is not an issue as it cost me about the same as any other bike would have.
I simply love the handlebar setup and being able to shift while in the aero position.
The only possible better upgrade I see from here is electronic TT shifting to be able to shift in both positions.
My bike is not set up too aggressively, btw.
Old 07-10-13, 09:56 AM
Jay Olson

Bikes: Sarto Asola, Colnago EPS, Specialized Crux Sport E5

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also ride a TT bike on a trainer inside. It's a good way to get used to the position.
Old 07-10-13, 10:00 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I have two problems and both relate to hills - lack of comfortable hand positions for long term climbing and I've lost traction on the rear wheel on sand/loose dirt because so much weight is forward.
Old 07-10-13, 10:13 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
My main bike is a tri/TT bike.
Why?
Simple: because I just love to ride it.
Cost is not an issue as it cost me about the same as any other bike would have.
I simply love the handlebar setup and being able to shift while in the aero position.
The only possible better upgrade I see from here is electronic TT shifting to be able to shift in both positions.
My bike is not set up too aggressively, btw.
AdelaaR...what you write comports with what I see on the road...a lot of guys training on TT bikes.
A question about your position which you say isn't too aggressive. How did you arrive at your position? Did you deliberately choose a TT bike with a tall head tube?...and/or do you have a riser stem on your TT bike to raise the handlebar? What bike and aero bar do you have?
Thanks
PS: you make a good point relative to the benefit of electric shifting on the TT bike. If there is a case for electric shifting, the benefit of shifters in two positions is undeniable.

Last edited by Campag4life; 07-10-13 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-10-13, 10:16 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
here's my take.
I have a TT bike which I bought used about a yr ago, thinking I would get into competitive TTing in a small way, locally. It's not the latest gen, but new enough to be fairly 'current' - carbon frame, 9 spd, have aero wheels, but have not used them yet.
I haven't ridden it much, but the few times I have, I've found that, even though the position is comfortable, my power output is well off from my road position - I need time training on it... SO I'm slowly migrating from somewhat of a road position to the TT position over the coming months...
I would not want the TT bike to be my only. But not because of the position thing.
The TT bike is definitely less fun to ride on rough, heavy and bumpy roads. It definitely is more sketchy on fun descents (which is a major reason I do any climbing). Clmbing also deosn;t seem as efficient (and the time proves that) either seated or out of the saddle, than my roadie.
All this using the same set of wheels (30 mm section) on both the TT compared to climbing on the roadie.
If you don;t like climbing or don;t like to haul ass descending and ride on really nice open roads, then I guess a TT bike might be ok as an only. Riding into a headwind, on a TT, is a little less bothersome, but still not real high on the fun meter.

I'll keep my roadie
Old 07-10-13, 10:24 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
here's my take.
I have a TT bike which I bought used about a yr ago, thinking I would get into competitive TTing in a small way, locally. It's not the latest gen, but new enough to be fairly 'current' - carbon frame, 9 spd, have aero wheels, but have not used them yet.
I haven't ridden it much, but the few times I have, I've found that, even though the position is comfortable, my power output is well off from my road position - I need time training on it... SO I'm slowly migrating from somewhat of a road position to the TT position over the coming months...
I would not want the TT bike to be my only. But not because of the position thing.
The TT bike is definitely less fun to ride on rough, heavy and bumpy roads. It definitely is more sketchy on fun descents (which is a major reason I do any climbing). Clmbing also deosn;t seem as efficient (and the time proves that) either seated or out of the saddle, than my roadie.
All this using the same set of wheels (30 mm section) on both the TT compared to climbing on the roadie.
If you don;t like climbing or don;t like to haul ass descending and ride on really nice open roads, then I guess a TT bike might be ok as an only. Riding into a headwind, on a TT, is a little less bothersome, but still not real high on the fun meter.

I'll keep my roadie
I think you prove the point that no bike is all things and most here know that. Most popular bikes sold for example are mtbs for the simple fact they are more versatile than road bikes. No question a road bike is more versatile than a TT bike. But...having different kind of bikes to me expands the enjoyment of the sport. For example, sometimes I feel like jumping on my 29er with high volume tires and riding anywhere I want...jump off curbs...down narly singletrack etc. Its still a fast bike on paved roads if I am willing to suffer more. And of course it is more comfortable on broken pavement as well. Having a TT bike in the quiver is a good thing. May not be the arrow of choice or even favorite, but still a fun bike to own.
Old 07-10-13, 10:25 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
Would I be able to ride the bike on regular recreation rides that has many hills. Would the gearing on a TT bike be too big for proper hill climbing etc?
I've seen exactly one TT bike on the North Cascades Highway. It was shocking enough to be pretty memorable. The guy didn't look entirely comfortable coming down the mountain and navigating those curves in the wind...
Old 07-10-13, 10:33 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
.. Having a TT bike in the quiver is a good thing. May not be the arrow of choice or even favorite, but still a fun bike to own.
no doubt. I'm glad I have it. Glad I didn;t get spendy. Rode it this past Monday and actually felt like I was goin 'fast', even imagined woosh-wooshing along like Spartacus. But then a bug flew into my mouth and I woke up...
Old 07-10-13, 10:45 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
no doubt. I'm glad I have it. Glad I didn;t get spendy. Rode it this past Monday and actually felt like I was goin 'fast', even imagined woosh-wooshing along like Spartacus. But then a bug flew into my mouth and I woke up...
And tastes morph over time as well. Some are less than enthralled with road bikes coming off mtbs. Road bikes are my favorite, but I see the allure of all bikes really. I sometimes ride my road bike with forearms resting on the handlebar tops and see why this position could be comfortable. You mentioned you feel you are down in power on your TT bike. Sounds to me your hip angle must be too closed or you have some fit issue. There have been studies that relate power output to TT position. Power may be fractionally down relative to a road bike if any at all but speeds are way up because of exponential power sap due to wind drag at higher speeds.
Old 07-10-13, 10:55 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I've seen exactly one TT bike on the North Cascades Highway. It was shocking enough to be pretty memorable. The guy didn't look entirely comfortable coming down the mountain and navigating those curves in the wind...
Come to CA. Before moving to CA, I had never seen a TT bike in my entire life and thought Cervelo TT bikes were only fictional for training use, and only busted out for race day since I'd never, ever seen one on the road.

Then I moved the CA, and it seems like every other bike is a TT bike, and every 5th bike is a Cervelo. There are also actually enough cyclists around that it seems like a common activity, unlike other places I've lived where the sight of someone training on a bike makes you think "that's pretty rare!"
Old 07-10-13, 10:55 AM
Pug
High Modulus

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
I am thinking in future of getting a TT bike. For use in doing local Time Trials.
Other then using a the TT bike for a time trial or Tri. What other practical uses can i use it for?
As in with the lower rider position. Would I be able to ride the bike on regular recreation rides that has many hills. Would the gearing on a TT bike be too big for proper hill climbing etc?
I bought a cheap alum tt bike about a year ago for the same purpose. I use it primarily to race in the NJ TT cup series. In terms of training I try to ride it at least once per week, generally on flat-ish terrain. This means less than 1,000 feet in elevation for the ride. If I think I'm going to do more than 1,000 feet, I'll take my road bike. I have a 27 tooth cog paired with a standard size crank. This has worked fine on grades up to ~8% for me. Generally, it's kind of pain riding the tt bike in hilly terrain. If a grade gets steep I have to get out of the aero position to maintain speed.

Aside from racing and training, I also use the tt bike when I'm near the ocean and the terrain is flat. This is where being aero can be a huge advantage especially when you're dealing with winds coming off the water. While I could, if necessary, ride the tt bike over long distances, I've found as a practical matter my upper limit is about 50 miles or 3 hours in the saddle. At that point my back's starting to get tired, my elbows are getting sore from the pads, and then my hands start to ache because the tt handlebar isn't as comfortable as my road bike handlebar. Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-13, 11:01 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Come to CA. Before moving to CA, I had never seen a TT bike in my entire life and thought Cervelo TT bikes were only fictional for training use, and only busted out for race day since I'd never, ever seen one on the road.

Then I moved the CA, and it seems like every other bike is a TT bike, and every 5th bike is a Cervelo. There are also actually enough cyclists around that it seems like a common activity, unlike other places I've lived where the sight of someone training on a bike makes you think "that's pretty rare!"
To be clear, I've seen plenty of TT bikes being ridden around town. They're popular on the Burke Gilman Trail (a MUP). There's a guy who does laps with an aero water bottle between his aero bars. There's a lady who wears a low cut shirt and rides the aerobars, with her arms close together.

But when I get out of town and ride paved roads through the mountains, I see plenty of traditional road bikes, but no TT bikes.
Old 07-10-13, 11:07 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
There's a lady who wears a low cut shirt and rides the aerobars, with her arms close together.
I thought people in Seattle were trying to discourage others from moving there
Old 07-10-13, 11:12 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
To be clear, I've seen plenty of TT bikes being ridden around town. They're popular on the Burke Gilman Trail (a MUP). There's a guy who does laps with an aero water bottle between his aero bars. There's a lady who wears a low cut shirt and rides the aerobars, with her arms close together.

But when I get out of town and ride paved roads through the mountains, I see plenty of traditional road bikes, but no TT bikes.
I think you just defined why cycling is such a great sport. More than one where I live.
Old 07-10-13, 11:20 AM
rdtindsm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done many RAGBRAIs and my attitude was rather condescending about the fat people riding mtb's with aero bars. I was a fit caat 2 racer, and normally rode on the drops with no discomfort.

Older and wiser and getting back into high mileage cycling for weight control and fitness. My biggest problem - arm / shoulder fatigue plus some hand numbness. As as been said, aero bars allow skeletal support. I was on the big auction site this morning looking for functional and cheap aero extensions just for that reason.

Besides, there is a minimum speed that I need to maintain to get some sort of satisfaction, to prevent rides from being too long. That speed is about 25 kph, coincidentally about my current average speed. If I don't average 25 kph, it plays with my mind. 26 kph and I am good. 30 kph is really good for a 10 mile tt type effort and I feel like superman.

The big con - compromises all around use. IMHO, best compromise would be clip-ons with drop bars.
Old 07-10-13, 11:34 AM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1

So true. I've seen a couple TT folks in MD, but when I went to CA on vacation there were tons of them, even saw a group ride of 6 guys in TT bikes. Awesome.

I think a TT bike could be set up very comfortably with aerobars, especially if you like an "up and out" position on the road bike (typified by a long stem flipped up).
Old 07-10-13, 11:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by StanSeven
I thought people in Seattle were trying to discourage others from moving there
It rains 500 days a year. And in the dead of winter, the sun doesn't come up 'til 10 am but goes down around 3 pm. We have beaches, but the women who frequent them need three layers including goretex to avoid hypothermia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.