Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Banana Peel Booby Trap?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Banana Peel Booby Trap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 05:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Banana Peel Booby Trap?

So I was riding on a state road that is mildly popular with cyclists last Saturday, and there were three banana peels laying on the breakdown lane looking exactly like the way they get drawn in the old comic strip gag where somebody goes flying when they step on one. I'm pretty sure someone did it on purpose as a sort of sight gag--they were too tightly arranged for it to have just been thrown there carelessly. It was way too obvious for it to be a serious threat, so I think it was actually kind of a funny joke.

It got me wondering, what would've happened if I had run over a banana peel? Would I have slipped? Are they really as slippery as they are in the slapstick bits? Do people walking ever actually slip on one? Where does the cliche come from?
Old 04-16-19, 05:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Subscribed.

Old 04-16-19, 05:11 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Ah, the old banana peel on the cycling lane trick. See it all the time.
Old 04-16-19, 05:13 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
can't say about effect of banana peel while cycling, but i can say from personal experience they they are incredibly slippery if you step on em.
Old 04-16-19, 05:48 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
When I see a banana peel on the side of the road, I know that a cyclist has been through the area recently.
Old 04-16-19, 06:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by bakerjw
When I see a banana peel on the side of the road, I know that a cyclist has been through the area recently.
Good point! In this case, it would have been three with a sense of humor. The sight gag was unmistakable.
Old 04-16-19, 06:12 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
If you go straight and don't brake nothing will happen. This is how I go over 1 foot ice patches and make it work. So a banana wouldn't be more slippery than ice.

Things get screwy if you panic... but once the banana peel is dry, it is like any other leaves or debris. It is only slippery when wet.
Old 04-16-19, 06:22 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I've run over them without a second thought. As long as you're not turning, they shouldn't pose a problem.
Old 04-16-19, 06:24 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Banana peel footprint is too small to cause anything. If you're riding at speed you contact the peel in a matter of milliseconds. Not enough time for the tire to lose traction. Ride on.
Old 04-16-19, 06:42 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
If you ride over any part of a banana peel it will cause you to to flip over your handlebars and violently crash
Old 04-16-19, 06:54 AM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I see a lot of banana peels in the the bike lane. I suspect there have been multiple threads on this already, but why do people leave their banana peels in the bike lane? Why not just toss them off the side of the road.
Old 04-16-19, 06:57 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
One banana peel is normal. Two banana peels is suspicious. Three banana peels that are deliberately arranged in the manner described above shows malice and some definite intent to cause a potentially deadly (but admittedly hilarious) pratfall. This was no accident. I would run this up the flag pole and see if local law enforcement or anyone at DHS salutes. "See something, say something" etc., etc.

People start innocently enough with banana peels and "kick me" signs, and work their way up to buckets of water over doorways and exploding cigars. They tell themselves, "I can stop doing these 'harmless pranks' whenever I want". Pretty soon they are decapitating people and burning them alive in cages, in order to get the same thrill. Slipping on a banana peel is no laughing matter.
Old 04-16-19, 07:01 AM
phile

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
One banana peel is normal. Two banana peels is suspicious. Three banana peels that are deliberately arranged in the manner described above shows malice and some definite intent to cause a potentially deadly (but admittedly hilarious) pratfall. This was no accident. I would run this up the flag pole and see if local law enforcement or anyone at DHS salutes. "See something, say something" etc., etc.

People start innocently enough with banana peels and "kick me" signs, and work their way up to buckets of water over doorways and exploding cigars. They tell themselves, "I can stop doing these 'harmless pranks' whenever I want". Pretty soon they are decapitating people and burning them alive in cages, in order to get the same thrill. Slipping on a banana peel is no laughing matter.
until someone else does it in front of you
Old 04-16-19, 07:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
If you ride over any part of a banana peel it will cause you to to flip over your handlebars and violently crash
And your carbon fibre bike will asplode.
Old 04-16-19, 07:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I was on a state highway about 50 miles into a century and honestly don't remember what town I was in. This was done such that there was no way to hit the peels accidentally unless you were completely blind. There's no way I would take it seriously enough to interrupt my ride to call the cops, and I'm pretty sure the peels weren't slippery enough to take us down the slippery slope to decapitation.
Old 04-16-19, 07:19 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
If Mario Kart has taught me anything...it's that banana peels are the weapon of choice for your motorized enemies.

Old 04-16-19, 07:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I've actually stepped on banana peels intentionally to see if they were really that slippery, and it didn't seem like it. Maybe they have to be on linoleum?

Sort of more a folklore issue than a bike one, but I'm curious why banana peels became the symbol for all things slippery.
Right now, I'm leaning towards the "banana peels are to tripping hazards as pie in the face is to assault" theory. That, or maybe banana peels were actually slipperier when they were the gros michel variety.
Old 04-16-19, 07:25 AM
phile

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
If Mario Kart has taught me anything...it's that banana peels are the weapon of choice for your motorized enemies.

this is all i have to say
Old 04-16-19, 07:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Skipjacks

Damn you Mario!
Old 04-16-19, 08:04 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Is your bike carbon? If so, there is a compound in the banana (only released when the peel is crushed by being ridden over) that will cause the carbon in your bike to immediately, spontaneously combust. That's where all those rumors about carbon bikes asploding came from.
Old 04-16-19, 08:41 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As other have alluded to above, if I see three banana peels arranged on the path, I'm immediately on the lookout for blue shells. Banana peels can be a nuisance, a blue shell can ruin your whole day.
Old 04-16-19, 08:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by himespau
Is your bike carbon? If so, there is a compound in the banana (only released when the peel is crushed by being ridden over) that will cause the carbon in your bike to immediately, spontaneously combust. That's where all those rumors about carbon bikes asploding came from.

I have one steel and two aluminum frames, so I'm pretty safe from that. Of course, I have to avoid giant magnets on the steel bike, and the aluminum bikes get skittish when they see crushed soda cans. They usually calm down after a minute or two, but it can get kind of hairy.
Old 04-16-19, 08:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
As other have alluded to above, if I see three banana peels arranged on the path, I'm immediately on the lookout for blue shells. Banana peels can be a nuisance, a blue shell can ruin your whole day.

That's why I carry a mushroom.
Old 04-16-19, 09:01 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
I thought the same thing! On longer rides it is a preferred snack.
Old 04-16-19, 09:10 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts

So very true. This could be the work of an escalating fetishist. It's best not to take any chances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.