Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

16 front 24 rear via 32 hole set

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 07:00 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

Riding the rain day bike recently a noticed a rear wheel wobble....... Set from in an inbound bike.. Bontragers ... typical low NDS tensions. So.. with a good used set of $5 yard sale Alex 450's with 'hano hubs in the rafters the 'adjust-ment' was on. NDS tension was taken off.. 1x lacing heads in using 8 spokes.. ala the triplet concept. Tensioned to 25 'Park' right and 24 'Park' left gave a nice round tight rim.. albeit ONE spoke just a tad longish bottoming out. Out it came.. musta been a replacement being a tad longish. The box didn't contain a blk of a size workable... so.. there WAS this new set of SAPIM STRONG the right length... of RAD-ial lacing. I advocate 1x heads in on STRONG24's 16-8 lacings.. but... who needs all that tension in a triplet? Not many.

So the STRONG went on radial heads in... adjusting the final tension to 105 right and 95 left.. very uniform and ROUND... kgf's. Paired 3 design with the open hole. A triplet minus the expense... and high tension NOT required of a triplet.

Butttt.. the front didn't match now. So.. half of those came out... this one set 24.5 'Park' with the again 14 g spokes from this former 'build'. Very round and evenly tightened.. note the skip two routine heads again IN.. with each mate supporting the other at the 'slack sequence' of the wheel rotation. 16 of'm now carrying these 200 lbs...

This rain bike has utility rubber.. 60's psi. Tires and riding style means lots in wheels.. I be fine on these. And at less than ten bucks.. if I count the cost of the STRONG's just laying in the spoke box.

My MAIN consternation: is the 14mm rim width of these 490 gr 450's........ so out of line with the rage today to WIDE rims....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
16 re.jpg (16.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg
24 re.jpg (21.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-02-15, 07:15 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
Sometimes it's not worth the effort to try to understand what's being said. This forum doesn't have a size limit, it's Ok to use complete sentences and grammar. Sorry but I'm off to work. Andy.
Old 06-02-15, 07:26 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Good luck with that effort to save on spokes and wheel truing time. Helps to have a very rigid rim to start with in adventures like this.
Old 06-02-15, 07:29 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Sometimes it's not worth the effort to try to understand what's being said. This forum doesn't have a size limit, it's Ok to use complete sentences and grammar. Sorry but I'm off to work. Andy.
+ 1.
Old 06-02-15, 07:39 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Reads like it was written by James Joyce or Hunter Thompson.
Old 06-02-15, 09:11 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Originally Posted by HillRider
Reads like it was written by James Joyce or Hunter Thompson.

I am most happy to give said flock of internet parrots and keyboard queens something to continue their 'lives' with.

27K + posts.. that now is a LIFE.
Old 06-02-15, 09:44 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
What is the point of this poorly written and confusing thread? Reads like it was written by a twelve year old.

Originally Posted by Aladin

And almost all of them are helpful, answering people's questions. What have you contributed?
Old 06-02-15, 03:49 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Aladin

I am most happy to give said flock of internet parrots and keyboard queens something to continue their 'lives' with.

Meanwhile, you're the one asking for help (I think)...

Last edited by rmfnla; 06-03-15 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-02-15, 04:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I think Bike Friday typically uses 36 hole hubs and 24 hole rims on many of their builds.

You could probably use fewer nipples than holes in the rim too, but the nipple holes are often angled to one side or the other, so keep that in mind.
Old 06-02-15, 05:04 PM
elessar007

Bikes: 1993 Fat Chance Wicked Lite, 1997 Spooky Mothership, Litespeed Obed, 1996 Cannondale R900, 1995 Diamondback Vertex. Note: None of my bikes are original spec. All are custom build ups.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest, I'm not sure I understand if this post is a question or a boast post about the wheel the OP posted pictures of.
Of course you should express your individuality in the way you see fit but when trying to get other people to comment on your post, it would help if it was a little less stylized and was easier to understand. There are plenty of people who could and would comment on this if it wasn't such a chore to decipher the meaning and intent. Frankly, I think the only fan of the rambling shorthand masquerading as a comment is the box fan in the second picture.

Nevertheless, good luck with your wheel and I hope it holds strong and true.
Old 07-18-15, 07:20 AM
Aladin

Follow up.. I mean.. how many do such.

The 16H front performed flawlessly.. I road it wrong across tracks etc... never a whimper. 150 miles.. yes a small sample... the rim/s needed another project. Review that pic again.. in this configuration the elbows restrict the movement of the partner J bend.. nearly the effect of straight pull spokes. The 'under spoke' in the pairing did not require a washer to get the alignment I want of the bend coming out of the hole. Again the build tension wayyy higher than I normally use on fronts.. 115 kgf... very uniform.

I did loosen one spoke all the way down disassebly.. just to see how much deflection the rim would go... simulating a break riding. Yes more than the 32H scenario but surprisingly not enough I believe to cause major issue getting stopped in a breakage situation. I mean they all rub after a break.

Rear.. is just the Campy G3 design.. nice wheel design.. stronger and more durable than a 32... IF your not one of the top 10% riders for power. I am in the process now of doing a G3 in 27H... 18-9.

These older Alex 450's.. this set with eyelets... NICE ribs. Around 480 grams... are great finds in the used market.
Old 07-18-15, 08:38 AM
vatdim

Bikes: Drag Grizzly, Raleigh Pioneer Venture GT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it my vodka or is it really hard to decipher the intent of this thread? It really does look a bit like boasting to me, but I can't tell. If it is, congrats on truing that wheel.
Old 07-18-15, 11:00 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
I also am unwilling to put in more effort to understand the OP than he puts in to be understood, but the overall concept has merit. Removing a few grams from the most highly strained structural elements of a bike, without the aid of any structural analysis tools seems like a great idea.
Old 07-18-15, 12:00 PM
striknein
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What, exactly, are you talking about?
Old 07-18-15, 06:14 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Did you fudge the dishing to get a little more even tension?
Old 07-19-15, 05:48 AM
Aladin

Originally Posted by vatdim
Is it my vodka or is it really hard to decipher the intent of this thread? It really does look a bit like boasting to me, but I can't tell. If it is, congrats on truing that wheel.
LOL.. fair enough.

About... the all heads in lacing.. how that technique gives BOTH bends support. And.. testing the limits of spoke counts. Well made.. road with a drop of think.. less works well. Just testing... learning a few things. NOT recommending this lacing.. would I ride it cross country at 200 lbs? No... it'd handle it but there's no reason to skimp of a few when the chips are down.

'All heads in'.. >> left side rears at 1x .. does well using butted lasers.

As noted earlier.. the Alex 450's I have built are nice rims... strong and finish with very uniform tension. Cheap and practical... easy tensioning.

NO fudge on dish.. the G3 design being triplet.. no need to cheat over for tension left side rear. The Shimano FH used finished at 90% tension + left side vs right rear... using heads in left.

Last edited by Aladin; 07-19-15 at 06:00 AM.