Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A MUP with multiple lanes.. still a MUP?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-17-16, 06:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

or is this really a collection of SUPs? (Single Use Lanes).
So, we have the Hudson Greenway in NYC, one lane usually marked with paintings of a Bicycle and a Rollerblades, the other shows walkers/runner. Is this a MUP, or is this 2 separate SUPs? Is there any sense in getting angry with joggers in the Cycling/Rollerblading section (not at all uncommon), or is this just silly talk?

Unfamiliar generally with MUPs nationwide, is it common for most MUPs to have lane markings divided by usage/vehicle type?
Old 10-17-16, 06:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
.....or is this just silly talk?
Yes, it's just silly talk.

It's still an MUP, though there's the suggestion that people divide themselves according to wheels or no. Let's not argue suggestion vs. rule because it doesn't matter, people will spread out regardless of rules or pavement markings.

After all this is NYC where nobody really considers ANY traffic controls to be more than a suggestion.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-17-16 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-17-16, 07:04 PM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Have you ever known runners to respect anything other than themselves?
Old 10-17-16, 07:11 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Runners aren't a problem.

Walking groups of woman and cycling clubs on the other hand,

The walkers just oblivious.

The racers, obnoxious and dangerous.
Old 10-17-16, 07:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Walkers adhere to a corollary of Parkinson's Law.

There's no use fighting it, it's a law of nature.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-17-16, 08:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Around here we have both sawdust paths, and paved paths.

The sawdust paths are restricted to foot traffic (primarily joggers). The paved paths are for everyone.

For the most part, there are no directional lane markings, except on a few corners, and even those seem more like a mere suggestion.

For low to moderate use, I like the unmarked paths. People work it out. For very high level use, I'm not sure.

A lack of lane markings may encourage people to slow down a bit (hopefully).

Sometimes I'm surprised there aren't more collisions at major corners and intersections of the MUPS.
Old 10-17-16, 09:15 PM
jorglueke

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1972 Schwinn SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The MRT through St.Paul has sections that divide into bikes and peds. Of course once in a while someone will wander into the bike path usually with a small fluffy poorly trained white dog. In those situations I curse them under my breath and then let it go. It's not a big deal.
Old 10-17-16, 09:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Fort Worth has multiple lane/type MUPs in some stretches of the Trinity River Trails. Some areas feature both paved and unpaved gravel/chat trails (and the particularly determined riders might even tackle the grass in between the two).

Even the folks who try to set usage policies don't fully understand how the trails are used, or how to regulate usage.

A few months ago I attended a couple of meetings to discuss non-binding suggestions for improving trail usage. Turned out we had less in common than I'd have imagined.
  • The runners thought the chat trails should be used only by runners. They didn't even realize there was such a thing as bicycling gravel riding, or that anyone would even choose to participate in such a pursuit, or that there was already a weekly group gravel ride on those trails.
  • The tri-bike riders seemed offended by the suggestion that fast cyclists riding aero bars, without ready access to brakes, on the narrow paved path where cyclists and pedestrians pass within inches of each other might be a bit dangerous and inconsiderate, and that perhaps they might stick to the regular drop bar hand positions until they reached the divided bike lanes adjacent to the quiet residential streets where you don't encounter oncoming cyclists in your lane.
  • Even the casual cyclists couldn't agree on whether there should or shouldn't be a hard speed limit with posted signs. (I don't believe we need signs -- cyclists just need to use common sense and slow down a bit and pass safely when encountering other users. Otherwise, on a clear path, knock yourselves out if you can ride faster.)

As far as I can tell, none of the suggestions has been implemented. Not surprising.

MUPs always evolve the same way. During hours and in places where pedestrians dominate -- joggers, walkers, skaters, folks with kids and dogs -- their usage of the MUP always dictates the only sensible approach: slow passes, watchful for erratic turns. Same with cyclists who inexplicably park in the lane to talk, or repair their bikes. It's always been that way, in every city and era where I've seen MUPs.

There's a theory that providing more infrastructure -- such as wider highways -- doesn't relieve congestion but instead creates more users, more demand, more congestion. Maybe. But I don't see any harm in making MUPs -- paved or gravel/chat -- wider than a typical suburban sidewalk. Our MUP varies erratically from wide to narrow and I've never seen an instance in which the wider sections caused more problems. The narrow sections are always a bit sketchy when there are many users, especially with two-way traffic on the narrow sections.
Old 10-18-16, 04:33 AM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1

If they stay to their right. Why do so many insist on running on their left hand side?
Old 10-18-16, 06:20 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Unfamiliar generally with MUPs nationwide, is it common for most MUPs to have lane markings divided by usage/vehicle type?
I've seen that arrangement in Germany quite a bit, where sidewalks are split into cycling and walking zones. Almost got clobbered on my first visit to Heidelberg because I hadn't been aware of why there was a line painted down the middle of where I was walking. I figured it out pretty quick though.

Road the Hudson River Greenway last week. My first time ever going more than around the block in the city. Seemed easy enough. I stayed on the cycling section, rode to the right, had no problems. There were one or two joggers that I encountered, but the path wasn't crowded that time of morning.
Old 10-18-16, 07:12 AM
Roamer2

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2; 1952 Schwinn Green Hornet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Our have centerlines only in tight corners/tunnels. Mostly people play nice & are very friendly.

And then there's the long, wood-planked walkways that stretch over several long sections of marsh were you get stuck behind two slow moms pushing strollers side by side & nattering away.
Old 10-18-16, 07:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
If they stay to their right. Why do so many insist on running on their left hand side?

Maybe it comes from running on the road, where you are supposed to run against traffic.

What I don't understand are those who run down the middle. In Philly we have a four lane road through a park that is closed to cars on weekends during certain months, so it's effectively an MUP at times. I regularly see people running right down the double yellow line, as if they feel they will get lost without that line showing them the way.
Old 10-18-16, 08:09 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
We have a nearby MUP (rail trail) that has the typical 10' paved/concrete path, then a separation, then a 12-15' wide hard-packed path, which is presumably for horses. I say presumably, because I've never seen a horse on it. Anyway, if I were on foot, I would gladly walk the dirt path, because you know, I have knees. But nearly everyone walks on the paved part. So more often than not, I ride on the dirt.

The one that gets me most is the dog walkers who stay exclusively on the paved. I can only imagine that dogs would prefer the dirt.
Old 10-18-16, 08:52 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I dislike the divided MUP's. I don't think it really works. Too many people stray out side their designated lines. Most of the MUP's around here have painted over the lines and posted rules that basically say stay to the right unless passing and cyclist yield to pedestrians. Not perfect, but less complex.
Old 10-18-16, 09:13 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Jeeze... the same arguments the motorists give... "those cyclists just won't stay in their lanes..."
Old 10-18-16, 11:00 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
So what are you going to do if someone doesn't stay in their own lane?

I suppose you could call 911 and report them but I kind of suspect that you'll get a lot older waiting for the police to show up
Old 10-18-16, 11:05 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The right-of-way is still MUP in nature, even if the users are supposedly segregated.
Old 10-18-16, 11:13 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1

That's about the most concise and accurate description of path conditions I've ever seen.

I'd also add teenagers playing Pokemon Go...though that appears to be a quickly passing fad .
Old 10-18-16, 11:57 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
"I'd also add teenagers playing Pokemon Go...though that appears to be a quickly passing fad"
After the initial summer burst of enthusiasm and seeing Pokemon hunters all over the MUP, most of them have moved on to the few local hot spots which are much more lucrative. The hot spots are in outdoor plazas and places cyclists would need to ride slowly and carefully anyway -- if at all -- so the Pokemon hunters are actually using these outdoor spaces more appropriately than the cyclists.

Even at the peak of the Pokemon Go phase I still saw more cyclists inexplicably parked in the middle of the MUPs just to chat with friends or inspect and repair their bikes. The Poke folk were never as big a hindrance and usually off to the side of the path.
Old 10-18-16, 12:04 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Because most law in America, when it is legislated, requires runners to run against traffic. The thinking is the runner should have the full view of oncoming traffic, vehicles, and knows when it is clear to move left or right.

As a runner, it is uncomfortable to run with bike traffic on MUPS, especially in low light situations. Running with traffic makes makes sense for everyone but the runner.
Old 10-18-16, 12:12 PM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Because most law in America, when it is legislated, requires runners to run against traffic. The thinking is the runner should have the full view of oncoming traffic, vehicles, and knows when it is clear to move left or right.

As a runner, it is uncomfortable to run with bike traffic on MUPS, especially in low light situations. Running with traffic makes makes sense for everyone but the runner.
On the roads, I could see. On the MUP, it makes no sense. Why is the runner in any more danger going with the flow on a MUP than someone walking.
Old 10-18-16, 12:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Here the Prudent approach is slow down and use your bell when approaching from the rear of Walkers (& their Dogs) I say 'Hello' as I pass.
Old 10-18-16, 01:57 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
On the roads, I could see. On the MUP, it makes no sense. Why is the runner in any more danger going with the flow on a MUP than someone walking.
The difference is riders seem to assume you will maintain your pace and they pass closer, like they are passing a vehicle. Also, a runner is more likely to dodge standing water, branch or a hole with a quick move to the left then someone walking. Virtually no one has issued a warning to me when passing on the left, but I suspect I look pretty steady & predictable.

As I said, it is uncomfortable, but I am not saying I have been hit. Should that occur, it will be miserable for all involved.
Old 10-18-16, 02:17 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Maybe it comes from running on the road, where you are supposed to run against traffic.

What I don't understand are those who run down the middle. In Philly we have a four lane road through a park that is closed to cars on weekends during certain months, so it's effectively an MUP at times. I regularly see people running right down the double yellow line, as if they feel they will get lost without that line showing them the way.
I suspect the road has a camber to it, and even if subtle it is tiring to run on. The centerline is most level.

scott s.
Old 10-18-16, 02:21 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've never seen a divided or marked MUP here. Just a lot of signs that say things like "wheels yield to heels."

I love my gym at 5-6 am - quiet and everything is available. I hate it in the evenings - noisy, crowded and everything is taken or almost. I hate MUPS during "normal" hours for the same reason. Riding at night makes everything so much more enjoyable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.