Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Biker, Questions on Bike / Used bikes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-16-17, 09:19 PM
dfuelleman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys! I read through about 10 pages of this forum looking for an end all be all for cheap bikes for new riders but there doesn't seem to be a consensus at all.

I have about a $200 MAX budget and plan on going to look at garage sales tomorrow morning to see what I can find used for less than that. The only thing I've seen that caught my eye is from a "big box" store as you call them amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00TYB8QDE/ref=olp_f_primeEligible

Any advice heading into these garage sales? Should I just get something cheap to start me out or is there something I need to look for like a brand or certain parts?

Again 200 is a bit high unfortunately I am a broke college student starting Grad school next semester. I am looking for a bike to get me out and exercising more as I have put on weight in the last few years.

I am 6 foot and about 280 pounds if that matters. I live in the middle of nowhere with the University being the primary crux of the town so no bike stores, the best thing I have is a wal mart. Craigslist major cities are a bit over an hour each way so doable for a good deal but not ideal.
Old 06-16-17, 09:22 PM
dfuelleman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also always rode like BMX bikes as a kid / teenager (I did bike a lot as a kid) so I do know how to shift etc, but beyond that I wouldn't have the faintest idea as to what type of bike I would get for light exercise/travel on primary roads. From my little research I guess hybrid bikes are safe and good but I again don't know what I would need.
Old 06-16-17, 09:23 PM
dfuelleman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The closest "Big City" for Craigslist would be Shreveport, Louisiana if anyone was interested in checking it out. I don't know what bikes on there are good or a deal so.
Old 06-16-17, 09:26 PM
dfuelleman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, the closest bike shop is 47 miles away.
Old 06-16-17, 10:11 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
If you go to the Shreveport CL and enter $200 max for price and look at both for sale by owner and bike shop, only one bike shows up that might be worth looking at. The rest are pretty much crap bikes. Here's the listing and a look at Bikepedia where they list the components and MSRP
https://shreveport.craigslist.org/bik/6177644477.html
2007 Felt Z90 - BikePedia
The components are entry level so it isn't a fantastic bike for the price and the 56 cm frame (22") might be too small for someone 6' tall. It is right in the middle of the frame size range for this model.

The pickings are pretty small if you live in a small town. Been there and loved it but the big city has its advantages too. If you go to Shreveport make a rounds of the second hand stores. If you are totally clueless as to what makes a good bike (decent components and lightweight) this could be a waste of time.
Old 06-16-17, 10:29 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
How are you at wrenching our own bike? If you can get by with a cheap commuter bike that you can maintain on your own just do that.

If you can get that Felt that Vegas Triker linked...pounce on it now.
Old 06-16-17, 11:02 PM
dfuelleman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im not too sure. Me and a buddy used to take junker BMX bikes and fuse em together when I was a kid, so like 18 years ago and I am relatively mechanically minded but I don't know what you mean by this. Maybe?
Old 06-16-17, 11:23 PM
dfuelleman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lafayatte is actually about the same distance if there are any hits there? lafayette.craigslist.org/search/bik?max_price=200

I also have family in Dallas so that could be an option if there is a terrific deal it would just take a lot of leg work getting it over here.
Old 06-16-17, 11:35 PM
dfuelleman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shreveport.craigslist.org/bik/6150559600.html

This "Giant Cypress" one is actually kind of close to wear I live would be easier to pick up by about twofold. I can't figure out the year but that site yall used before says 599 msrp?

If I can get both sellers to come down which is the optimal buy? Also the first bike has the clipper things I would have to buy shoes to ride it? I actually wear size 10 about shoes so I guess I could get those 20buck ones from him if he will throw them in unless shoes are cheap enough ?
Old 06-17-17, 12:22 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by dfuelleman
shreveport.craigslist.org/bik/6150559600.html

This "Giant Cypress" one is actually kind of close to wear I live would be easier to pick up by about twofold. I can't figure out the year but that site yall used before says 599 msrp?

If I can get both sellers to come down which is the optimal buy? Also the first bike has the clipper things I would have to buy shoes to ride it? I actually wear size 10 about shoes so I guess I could get those 20buck ones from him if he will throw them in unless shoes are cheap enough ?
The Felt bike is a better buy. And no, t would be cheaper to just buy flat pedals and use regular shoes. Keep your budget in mind.
Old 06-17-17, 12:40 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I believe you would be better served with the Giant or a similar bike based off of the information you provide in your OP. I am not saying riding a bike such as the Felt isn't possible but getting back on a bike after years away and at your weight, I believe the Giant will be more comfortable based on the riding position, tire size, and suspension fork (although it will be bashed here because it is a low end fork) which will encourage more use of the bike. To me, the Felt would be a better bike for you after a couple of years back riding and 50 lbs lighter.
The pedals on the Giant would allow you to wear about any shoe to ride, without spending additional money for different shoes or pedals.

I have bought bikes from Craigslist before, it is a pain. I don't know what it is about a lot of sellers but the lack of returned contacts, or followup contacts to actually see the bike being advertised has stumped me at times. As an example, once while actively searching, I would find a bike(s) within minutes of being listed, contact the seller, get a heading to work (or what ever) reply and a "will contact you to come see the bike after" to never hear from them again. It took me a few weeks to not only find what I was looking for but to also make a face to face meeting to make a deal.

When you find something of interest and it fits, offer what you can, worst case they say no.
Old 06-17-17, 05:33 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Why that's easy:

At 6', you are on the taller side. You are going to want a larger than average bike. Size is more important than anything else.
Old 06-17-17, 05:35 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Try the Clydesdale forum. As to the cost of cycling, there is no need to spend money on a bicycle as there are a lot of perfectly good bikes that are thrown away, or sold at yard sales for a song.
Old 06-17-17, 08:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
Try the Clydesdale forum. As to the cost of cycling, there is no need to spend money on a bicycle as there are a lot of perfectly good bikes that are thrown away, or sold at yard sales for a song.
Not sure how far you plan to ride, but when I was dirt poor, I did garage sales and broken bikes from the trash. If you are in or near a dorm, keep an eye peeled.

I rode anything where I could raise the seat enough to fit my legs. I wasn't trying to look cool ... I needed to go places.

Old rigid MTBs were my favorite and always the best bet, particularly for commuting and particularly for bigger guys. More upright riding position, tougher wheels, rack mounts, and hard to break.

Get a few allen wrenches and a crescent wrench. Go to YouTube--learn how to do the most basic adjustments (brake and shift cables, seat, stem for threaded headsets.) Brand doesn't matter ... get cheap stuff where the wheels and pedals and handlebars spin, but don't shake side-to-side or up and down.

Count on Something breaking eventually ... so always be looking for parts bikes and replacements. I used to drag bikes home just to strip the wheels and tires ... or the cables ... sometimes just the hardware, the nuts and bolts.

Very little need to spend money if you are only going ten or twenty miles a couple/few times a day.

Just start with anything with two rolling wheels which fits.

At your size (speaking from personal knowledge) you would be best off avoiding suspension forks. Assuming you just want to do around-town transport, getting to class and running errands, and considering Louisiana isn't too mountainous, finding a rigid-framed bike which fits is your best bet.

If you are looking for bikes to take out for a few hours' ride on the weekends .... you will need to shop Very carefully to find something reliable.

Even if you bought a big-box bike I'd be scouting dumpsters and such. Stuff will break on Any cheap bike.

That's why I'd rather spend $50 on three bikes and some tools and a tube of grease than $200 on a big-box bike. Buy three crap bikes and you will always have one to ride.

Buy one expensive crap bike and you have to walk to the store to buy parts ... and when you get there ... the parts aren't for sale, for that bike, and the ones you can buy cost as much as the whole bike.