Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are all bikeshops like this?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are all bikeshops like this?

Old 08-17-19, 08:18 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
$50 isn't that bad for a tune up.
Likes For clengman:
Old 08-17-19, 08:27 AM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
My bike shop would rather help me keep my favorite bike on the road, than to sell me a new bike. He also prefers selling his clientele the right bike for their desires and needs, and he's C&V friendly. He's been in the business for over 45 years. He's into long term relationships than a sale, and done.
Likes For Kent T:
Old 08-17-19, 09:49 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Kent T
My bike shop would rather help me keep my favorite bike on the road, than to sell me a new bike. He also prefers selling his clientele the right bike for their desires and needs, and he's C&V friendly. He's been in the business for over 45 years. He's into long term relationships than a sale, and done.
That was my experience with my last shop who started his now family owned business back in the late '50s. Over the course of my dealing with him I bought 3 bikes and would go back again if I still lived in that city.

The lead mechanic there (an employee for 30 years) knew my bike better than I did, and would help me within minutes of my arrival while I waited. I never had to drop it off and come back later. He retired a few years back and I'm sure a lot of his loyal customers will miss him.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 08-17-19, 09:53 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
$50 isn't that bad for a tune up.
I was told pretty clearly that the $50 was just for the evaluation to determine how much money I would actually need to spend.
Old 08-17-19, 10:22 AM
clengman

Originally Posted by RH Clark
I was told pretty clearly that the $50 was just for the evaluation to determine how much money I would actually need to spend.
Yes. That's usually how it works. If you needed any parts they would have charged for the parts but probably no extra for labor.
Old 08-17-19, 11:19 AM
RH Clark

Yes. That's usually how it works. If you needed any parts they would have charged for the parts but probably no extra for labor.

Unfortunately I saw pretty quick that these tune ups seemed to get pretty expensive.
Old 08-17-19, 11:42 AM
clengman

Unfortunately I saw pretty quick that these tune ups seemed to get pretty expensive.
So you don't think the mechanics deserve to be paid for their time?

I figure either you spend some money on tools and learn to do it yourself, or you can pay a skilled laborer to do it for you.
Likes For clengman:
Old 08-17-19, 12:40 PM
RH Clark

So you don't think the mechanics deserve to be paid for their time?

I figure either you spend some money on tools and learn to do it yourself, or you can pay a skilled laborer to do it for you.
There's a difference between getting paid for your time and milking a customer for every dime they will spend. I've worked for the public for years AND I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

I am however getting the feeling that most bike shops are the latter with a few posters trying to justify it. Thanks, I'll figure out the mechanics. It isn't all that complicated.
Old 08-17-19, 01:09 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
It's a free country. Tools are available for relatively cheap and information is available for free. If you really make the effort, no need to keep up with bad service. it isn't like a shop possesses the unique black magic and has a monopoly. It is just a bicycle and the technology hasn't changed that much over centuries. if anything repair and adjustment got easier.

In most cases just the time it takes to pack up a bike and bring to LBS is more than what it takes to adjust or repair. And unless we talk about very rarely used specialty tools, the tool cost is amortized after the 1st or second use compared to paying an LBS.

the time one takes here to complain about LBS could be used for learning repair.

This isn't directed at the OP specifically, but at threads like this in general. I vote with my wallet.
Old 08-17-19, 02:29 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3635 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
As always mentioned in these threads, shops don't necessarily want every customer. Sometimes it's just not worth it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-17-19, 04:46 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
They’re not interested in doing cheap repairs on used bikes; it’s not good business for them. I owned a retail business for 15 years and sometimes there are customers you just don’t want. What do you do? Do you say, “Sorry sir, this isn’t going to work out?” Nope. You just kind of hope they leave. I’ve been on both ends of this. I’m not really defending them, just being realistic. They either correctly or incorrectly came to the conclusion that you weren’t of value to them. So that’s one perspective I can offer as a small business owner.

The other is is that the current crop of 20-27 year old shop employees is, generally speaking, terrible at customer service. So I think the answer is somewhere in between these two points.
Old 08-17-19, 05:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Second time I did spend $40,but I suppose that wasn't enough to be considered a customer.

Ok,I am a newby but you tell me, do gears wear out before a set of brake pads. The pads were the original set but apparently both my chain and gears needed replaced. I asked the guy why my gears would be worn out and his reply was because of all the hills we have here. I guess mountain bike gears only last on flat ground.
This is a bike you bought used, right? So you really don't know how it has been ridden or how much. It's possible that the chain was worn out well before the brake pads, and a worn chain will wreck the gears. It's very easy to check this yourself. Invest in a Park Tool chain checker or google how to check bicycle chain wear with a ruler.
Newbies are often surprised by how fast chains wear out so I wouldn't assume they were lying about this, but it's very easy to find out either way.

I'm not defending them, btw, just answering the question you asked.
Old 08-17-19, 05:43 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
There's a difference between getting paid for your time and milking a customer for every dime they will spend. I've worked for the public for years AND I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

I am however getting the feeling that most bike shops are the latter with a few posters trying to justify it. Thanks, I'll figure out the mechanics. It isn't all that complicated.
I have been active in cycling since the mid 70’s and never have encountered the type of bike shops you describe so perhaps a bit of self reflection might be in order.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-17-19, 07:05 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
I have been active in cycling since the mid 70’s and never have encountered the type of bike shops you describe so perhaps a bit of self reflection might be in order.
Or, perhaps he truly did visit a $hithole bike shop??

Just sayin'.
Old 08-17-19, 07:05 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
do bike shops vary? yes
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 08-17-19, 07:32 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
My issue is the feelings posted that most bicycle shops try to milk customers out of every dime. I just have not experienced this. I may disagree with the opinions of staff from time to time but that doesn’t mean they are trying to rip someone off.

Also these class war posts regarding shops are only interested in serving the one percent are ridiculous. If looking at bikes stocked and sold the vast majority are bikes which the average consumer can afford and enjoy.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-18-19, 12:10 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Find a smaller dirtier shop...
Old 08-18-19, 01:34 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Sadly my two bike shops I used to go to for years have new owners and are now high presser sales with poor people skills. So I have moved on to a new shop that is really great and thinks like I do. Spend your money where you feel comfortable at and don’t go back to the ones that give you a bad time of it. I just drove over two hundred miles round trip today to buy a new B&W International travel case for my Brompton because my local dealer is not very good to me. You can’t take it personal, so life moves on, no worries be happy..

Last edited by tim24k; 08-18-19 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-18-19, 05:34 AM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

Based upon your one experience and this thread you just clearly implied that you believe most bike shops milk their customers for every dime.
Good job
Cool story about first waiting 2 hours for service and then later clarifying about your trip to the park. You back pedal well.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 08-18-19 at 05:38 AM.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-18-19, 06:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,273 Times in 7,224 Posts
I told the smug young little salesman type that I would ride that chain and gears for the next 10 years without any problems and just left disgusted.
Sound like it's you.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-18-19 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-18-19, 06:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,273 Times in 7,224 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Cool story about first waiting 2 hours for service and then later clarifying about your trip to the park. You back pedal well.
Yeah. That's where I became convinced that this is yet another LBS hate troll thread. What's next? Another BSOs suck thread?

OBTL
Old 08-18-19, 06:34 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Not all shops are like that. Luckily, the 2 closest shops to us are directly across the street from each other-one sells Trek, the other Giant. So they have some pressure to be good to their customers--too easy to cross the street if they aren't! But even the shops around that don't have such close competition have been nothing but helpful and courteous. Is there little competition where you live, that a bike shop can get away with poor service and stay in business? So far as charging for an exam. I see why they would do that--you could go in, get a diagnosis of what is wrong, leave and buy the parts or search online, and they need to be paid for their time. Now, if they do an exam., and you buy your parts and have it fixed there, then the exam could be deducted from the cost of parts and labor.
Old 08-18-19, 06:34 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3635 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
The pads were the original set....
Used bike, I'd be surprised if you were able to know this. Share your secret?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-18-19, 08:35 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Well, we had a local shop like that for awhile here. Looked all new and fancy, lots of parts, pushing sales,etc. But the few times I gave them a try for parts it was very hard to even get any help.

That said, I do have the best shop ever that I use and those guys are great with all the C&V stuff I ride. From doing a new (old frame) bike build to upgrades, to helping me out with a spacer or ferrule, these guys are there for me. I no longer even try any other shop. Keep looking around for the best shop in your area.

Oh and don't take all the negative feedback personally. Folks love to argue around here.
Old 08-18-19, 11:53 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
There's lots of good "How To" videos on You Tube and Park Tools website. Might want to invest in some bike tools and start doing your own wrenching. Judging from your comment that the shop was an hour away, it doesn't sound as if you have too many places in your area to choose from. Learning the basics of bike repair and being able to do most of the work yourself is not only time and money saving but very enjoyable.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.