Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The fear of injury

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The fear of injury

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 07:51 PM
ECDkeys

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fear of injury

So, I have a good friend who has given me plenty of ribbing about my bike commuting over the past year. He mostly pokes fun at how I dress, but it's all good natured fun, and I never take offense. He has shown an interest in my bikes and even mentioned considering getting a bike. I ran into his mother who also thought it would be a good idea for him to get a bike.

So, I've been keeping an eye out for him on craigslist, since it's the only way I can justify wasting my time perusing the bike ads (it's not for me, it's for my friend!). I periodically find decent bikes for him, but he never follows up on the ads I forward to him.

When asked, he says they're too expensive. I can sympathize, because we're both in the same line of work, which is to say neither of us are making loads of money. I just happen to place bikes higher on my list of priorities, while he has other things he'd rather spend money on.

So, finally I dust off an old road bike that once belonged to my ex. I gave it as much of a tune-up as I'm capable (it would still need a good going over by a qualified mechanic), and I rode it around to make sure it wasn't a death trap. Then I offered to sell it to him for basically peanuts.

He thanked me but declined. It couldn't have been the price, because it was basically chump change I was asking. When asked, he said he was sure he would "biff".

I may have freaked him out a few days earlier when I showed him my newly converted fixed gear bike. He grabbed it out of my hands, saying he wanted to take it for a spin. I tried to stop him, but he already had a leg over and was preparing to push off, when he suddenly yelled out, "There's no brakes!" I grabbed the bike and helped him off.

He's also seen the injuries I've sustained over my year of bike commuting, including a broken rib, and most recently some pretty gnarly road rash on my knee. His dad suffered a broken collarbone in a bike accident. So he sees nothing but injuries, and this clouds whatever benefits he might see.

I shouldn't be surprised. I offered up years of resistance before I started to commute by bike. And I was an avid cyclist when I was younger.
Old 05-27-07, 01:39 AM
unkchunk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECDkeys
I may have freaked him out a few days earlier when I showed him my newly converted fixed gear bike. He grabbed it out of my hands, saying he wanted to take it for a spin. I tried to stop him, but he already had a leg over and was preparing to push off, when he suddenly yelled out, "There's no brakes!"
With his powers of observation it's probably best that he not ride. Yep, time for some strategic counter ribbing. Start sending Graig's List buys to his Mom instead. When he asks why, tell him that she's more coordinated and buys a round of beer once in a while.