Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Gekko...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 06:41 PM
ired2much

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gekko...?

Has anyone tried the Gekko? I saw it at ridethisbike.com, and was wondering how it rode. I just need a small folding bike around $200 to use within a 1-2 mile range. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks
Old 07-09-07, 07:22 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Dahon Boardwalk.
Old 07-09-07, 08:18 PM
makeinu
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ired2much
Has anyone tried the Gekko? I saw it at ridethisbike.com, and was wondering how it rode. I just need a small folding bike around $200 to use within a 1-2 mile range. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks
How small does it need to be? How far do you plan on carrying it? What's the terrain like (smooth, bumpy, flat, hilly)? How big are you?

The gekko is rather heavy and big isn't it? If you're willing to get a bike that heavy and big then you're better off with a Dahon Boardwalk, but if you're really only going to be riding 1-2 miles and you need a small bike to carry around then you're probably better off with something much smaller and less substantial like a Xootr scooter or an A-bike. There's also the Ez-Pak folding bike from Sidewinder which is small, light, and cheap. However, I'm not sure about the quality (although Sidewinder's other bikes seem to have a pretty good reputation).

Last edited by makeinu; 07-09-07 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-09-07, 09:02 PM
ired2much

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking for something about the size of the Gekko, but it is quite heavy. I will have to carry it up stairs, so I was looking for something lighter then the Gekko. The terrain is bumpy, and I'm about 5' 5". I will take a look at the Ez-Pak. I didn't think the A-Bike would be good for me because of the bumpy terrain. Thanks!
Old 07-10-07, 07:30 AM
makeinu
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ired2much
I was looking for something about the size of the Gekko, but it is quite heavy. I will have to carry it up stairs, so I was looking for something lighter then the Gekko. The terrain is bumpy, and I'm about 5' 5". I will take a look at the Ez-Pak. I didn't think the A-Bike would be good for me because of the bumpy terrain. Thanks!
I should warn you that you generally get what you pay for and $200 is very cheap for a folding bike. The Dahon Boardwalk is known to be a bargain around here and, as such, many people would try to convince you to buy it over an unknown bike like the Ezpak. However, the fact of the matter is that the Boardwalk is much bigger and heavier than what you're looking for. Unfortunately no one around here has an Ezpak, so it's hard to say whether it is a bargain at $190 or not.

If you end up buying the Ezpak, please let us know how it is.