Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 10:07 PM
nateintokyo

Bikes: SE Quadrangle, '82 Venus NJS, '03 Bianchi Pista, '86 P'sonic Mt Cat, Fat City Yo Eddy '91 + '93, B'cuda A2E, '86 Trek Elance 400, '88 Centurion D.Scott Expert, '88 Fisher Mt Tam (and no longer with me: SE OM Flyer, Umezawa/B-stone/Samson NJS)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ha---- I almost came home with the same bike. Similar bits anyway, tho a bit older.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=526685
Old 04-02-09, 05:32 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
When you're ready to sell it, let me know what you want for it. I probably won't buy it, but I'd at least like to know... Maybe I'll catch the wife on a good day.

It might be a couple of years, but I will keep you in mind, hehe. I'm loving the color now. It was so faded that polishing couldn't help it. I hit it with a few coats of spray can clear and it brightened up quite a bit.
I'm building it as a patina bike, so it will not be super shiny and polished looking. Got some tires and two coats of shellac on white cloth yesterday evening. Also put on an Avocet that I had laying around.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 04-02-09 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-02-09, 12:47 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Picked up a Centurion Lemans 12 Mixte frameset yesterday off of a nearby (sort of) Craigs List. May end up being a donor, not sure yet. Also came with a crankset and bottom bracket. Paid the usual donor bike price. Champion 5 frame. I do like the blue color. I have most of the parts to complete in the parts bin. Its been slim pickins' around here lately. Still working off last fall's finds. Thrift stores have completely dried up around here.

Last edited by wrk101; 04-02-09 at 12:49 PM. Reason: comment
Old 04-02-09, 03:33 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
[QUOTE=wrk101;8652461]" Its been slim pickins' around here lately. Still working off last fall's finds. Thrift stores have completely dried up around here."

Not much happening up around me either. Craig's List is pretty quiet also. Just a bunch of low-end bikes with crazy prices. What happened?
Old 04-02-09, 04:13 PM
Bikedued

Ready to ride, and looking pretty slick despite the scrapes, scratches, and tarnished cranks. The last coat of Shellac was just dry to the touch when the pic was taken. It should dry enough for a test ride before dark. Not sure why I didn't do it beforehand? Guess I was anxious to get it done, hehe.,,,,BD

Update: Amazing, just amazing. All the body contact points are right where they should be. Even with one inch tires the ride is pretty nice too. The wind is gusting pretty bad right now, otherwise I could have judged everything a little better. I may sell my orange 80 model, since it's a hair too small anyway. Glad I picked this up, wonderful bike....

Last edited by Bikedued; 04-02-09 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-02-09, 04:41 PM
gamecat
Hoopy Frood

Bikes: Trek 7.3fx, Peugeot PX-10, Fuji Roubaix Pro ('04), Cannondale R600, Triumph Roadsters, Raleigh 20, Univega Nuovo Sport, Schwinn Sierra, Bianchi Osprey, Peugeot NS-22, Batavus Champion, Haro Pulse.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=cycleheimer;8653657]
Originally Posted by wrk101
" Its been slim pickins' around here lately. Still working off last fall's finds. Thrift stores have completely dried up around here."

Not much happening up around me either. Craig's List is pretty quiet also. Just a bunch of low-end bikes with crazy prices. What happened?
Gas got cheaper again, buying interest dropped off, smarter sellers seem to have backed off the softening market leaving all the people that don't get that the mini craze is over and are hoping their old beater unearthed in spring cleaning will help them get through the economic crisis, because they read about fixed gear riding in the New York Times. Maybe?
Old 04-02-09, 05:53 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

[QUOTE=gamecat;8654013]
Originally Posted by cycleheimer

Gas got cheaper again, buying interest dropped off, smarter sellers seem to have backed off the softening market leaving all the people that don't get that the mini craze is over and are hoping their old beater unearthed in spring cleaning will help them get through the economic crisis, because they read about fixed gear riding in the New York Times. Maybe?
It's possible. I am just glad I was able to "rearrange" the "stable" this past winter...sold a "few" & bought a few. Also, was able to stock up supplies & accessories...tubes, panniers, etc. Would be tough to do it right now. Maybe things will loosen up a bit soon. "Garage Sale" season hasn't even started yet. Always hope.
Old 04-02-09, 06:14 PM
Bioflamingo
Bike Collector

Bikes: 1983 Trek 560

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grabbed these up out of a garage. I had seen them the day before when I picked up a car there, but I told myself I didn't need any more bikes and that I had to resist the urge to buy them. The next day I was back with both of them in my car.

$20 for the Univega Rover Ten, and $10 for the Sears 3 speed. The Univega needed a tube, and now it's ready to ride. It'll go up for sale soon. The Sears, however, is going into my collection. It doesn't shift, the brakes are broken, and the saddle's trash. But it has some NICE paint. The pictures don't do it justice. It is incredibly dirty, but I wiped it down after taking the pics and it looks amazing. There are less than 5 scratches on this entire thing. Plus it has one of those cool aftermarket headlights that rubs the wheel to light up, and it still works. I have the fenders as well, but they aren't in the pictures. I'll make it into a single speed and call it good. I'm certainly glad I gave in to temptation.
Old 04-02-09, 07:40 PM
sk0tt

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey minority, nice bike, was it a curbside find?
What size frame is that? 61cm? I wish I could find some nice larger ones.
Old 04-02-09, 08:29 PM
minority

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sk0tt
Hey minority, nice bike, was it a curbside find?
What size frame is that? 61cm? I wish I could find some nice larger ones.
Yup, saved from the bulk rubbish collection.

Haven't measured it accurately but its at least a 60, maybe 61cm.

I have found a few nice 59-60cm bikes, but thay all need some work (I guess that's why they were thrown out!). If you had to pay someone to do the work, and used new components, it could work out quite pricey.

My best find so far (and my current ride) was a 59cm hand built Italian Battaglin with columbus tubing, cinelli bar & stem, campy groupset (Victory/GS). It had a broken rear hub and was very neglected so I stripped it, rebuilt the rear wheel with a secondhand hub, new saddle & chain and despite a bit of wear here and there, it's a nice ride. It had pantographed chrome forks that cleaned up reasonably well and now just needs some new paint and decals.
Old 04-03-09, 06:35 AM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by rotharpunc

and this to flip:

What size is that Centurion? Just curious at this point ...
Old 04-03-09, 07:40 AM
Onuts
Highway Litter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bioflamingo
Plus it has one of those cool aftermarket headlights that rubs the wheel to light up, and it still works.
I had a light very similar to that one in high school...uh...maybe 1974? I was leaving work, out the shop and reached down and turned the light on while making a fast left around the corner of the building. The light lit up an International Scout that was parked side ways in the traffic lane rather than in a parking row. I augered into the driver door.

Nice finds!
Old 04-03-09, 07:59 AM
kbjack
Makeshift

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2002 S-works CX, 1973 Raleigh Super Course conversion, 1979 Raleigh Competition, 1973 Raleigh Professional Track, 1980 Austro Daimler Inter-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clash of the Super Courses.

Just picked this one up not too long ago. The frame is in great shape excepting a few places where decal/sticker removal seems to have revealed a teal undercoat--I actually like it.

Drive train has been replaced with low-end (but reliable) Shimano stuff; though I'm still having trouble with my chainline (see this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=526865 ).

Any idea of the year on this? The Carlton stickers would indicate an earlier model, but I'm not too well-versed in my Raleigh history to know.

Old 04-03-09, 08:27 AM
Tigerprawn
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I picked up a PSV-10 yesterday

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=526846

Old 04-03-09, 08:50 AM
gamecat
Hoopy Frood

Bikes: Trek 7.3fx, Peugeot PX-10, Fuji Roubaix Pro ('04), Cannondale R600, Triumph Roadsters, Raleigh 20, Univega Nuovo Sport, Schwinn Sierra, Bianchi Osprey, Peugeot NS-22, Batavus Champion, Haro Pulse.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That green Super Course is beautiful. I've been passing on non-green auctions forever.

[waynesworld]
one day, it will be mine. Oh yes.
[/waynesworld]
Old 04-03-09, 11:14 PM
Bikedued

Originally Posted by minority
I have found a few nice 59-60cm bikes, but thay all need some work (I guess that's why they were thrown out!). If you had to pay someone to do the work, and used new components, it could work out quite pricey.

What 60's did you find? That's an interesting statement to a 6'1" person such as myself?,,,,BD

Okay I swear, last pic of the Golden Super Course for a good while. I stopped by the hardware store, and picked up a can of clear shellac, for the black wrapped bikes. Black wrap with amber shellac looks.....Well, brown, hehe. I threw one last shine coat on the SC bars, and they look great in my humble opinion. I also rebuilt the pedals, and found the dust caps for the cranks, hehe. I also put on the B.17 narrow I found last month, It fits nicely with the look I was going for.,,,,BD

Old 04-04-09, 04:51 AM
prawza

Bikes: Avanti ventura, Fuga Track Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Picked this up off the side of the road the other day.. Size was 63/56
Old 04-04-09, 11:47 AM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My prolific Friday findings......a late 1980s Peugeot Triathlon & very cool Nishiki Olympic 12:

(the Peugeot did come with the rest of the original 105 group, the original stem and even the white saddle!...)

and, check out this handlebar cable routing....was this common?

Old 04-04-09, 03:40 PM
cycleheimer

Originally Posted by prawza

Picked this up off the side of the road the other day.. Size was 63/56
It looks like you fellows in Australia find some truly magnificent curb side treasures! Here in the states you can find some very fine stuff in dumpsters.
Old 04-04-09, 05:29 PM
Bikedued

I went to go pick up some anodized Centurion rims from a local CL ad(Thanks Jeff!) and decided to hit he thrift store. This is the first forged drop mixte I've ever found! It's a Taiwan knockoff but 4130 frame and lugged, with alloy rims. I have a buyer already in mind for it, so it will be converted to upright bars with cork grips and fenders. This is the first thing I've found at my local thrift in months, possibly up to a year. $29.00 wasn't too much for such a clean machine, hehe.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 04-04-09 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-04-09, 09:10 PM
kvojr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found this sucker today. It seems to be an '87 Schwinn Tempo going by the serial number. I didn't find alot of info on it so if anyone knows specs, please let my know. I do think it takes 700c wheels, but not positive. Needs a repaint due to some surface rust, I would love to find the original color as I like it alot.
Old 04-04-09, 10:15 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,600 Times in 3,785 Posts
Originally Posted by kvojr
Found this sucker today. It seems to be an '87 Schwinn Tempo going by the serial number. I didn't find alot of info on it so if anyone knows specs, please let my know. I do think it takes 700c wheels, but not positive. Needs a repaint due to some surface rust, I would love to find the original color as I like it alot.
https://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1...0/1987_17.html

https://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1...0/1987_06.html

https://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1...0/1987_07.html
Old 04-05-09, 12:12 AM
Rip Van Winkle
Formerly Gordo Grande

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Picked up a Centurion Lemans 12 Mixte frameset yesterday off of a nearby (sort of) Craigs List. May end up being a donor, not sure yet. Also came with a crankset and bottom bracket. Paid the usual donor bike price. Champion 5 frame. I do like the blue color. I have most of the parts to complete in the parts bin. Its been slim pickins' around here lately. Still working off last fall's finds. Thrift stores have completely dried up around here.

What a great looking frame! I am seriously jealous. Let me know if you ever want to part with it. My primary ride is my old Super LeMans. I love that bike!
Old 04-05-09, 06:39 AM
kvojr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CB400Bill, thanks for the links!
Old 04-05-09, 08:36 AM
anomaly

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Picked up a rough, but complete (Stronglight 93, Mafac Competition) Giatane TDF today for $50. The wheelset was upgraded to high flange campy (round cutouts) to Mavic 700c rims which are in excellent condition. I'll post pictures later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.