Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need advice on a new wheelset...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-04, 06:59 PM
bpohl
Disgruntled Planner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got a new Trek 2300 a couple months ago, and I'm now at the point where I want a new wheelset. I'm leaning towards the Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL's, but I'm afraid that I'm being attracted to the "bling bling" factor of that wheelset. I've seen plenty of these on Ebay for around $600, and that's about the most I want to pay.
What I want is a lightweight wheelset that is race capable, since I'll be starting some races in the next few weeks. However, I want something that is bomb proof, as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good wheelset?
Also, should I just go ahead and buy a new Ultegra cassette with them so that I can change out my wheels whenever I want? Anyone else do that?
Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 08-15-04, 07:31 PM
pgreene
Sneaky Slow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.speeddream.com

light, bombproof, aren't on everyone's bikes. they're also very cheap for what you get. give dave a call. he'll hook you up.
Old 08-16-04, 07:21 AM
MtnMan

Bikes: Fondriest & Serotta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Pgreen,
Do you have any experience with Dave's wheels. The reason I ask is that I will be buying some new wheels in the near future and I can't decide between Odds and Endos and Speed Dreams. They both use similar spoking patterns and both are reputed to build a first rate wheel. I think it comes down to the quality of the hub each one uses. Speedcific for Mike and White Ind's for Dave. There is not that much feedback on either hub in the internet world. Hoping, maybe, you can shed some light here.
Old 08-16-04, 07:26 AM
chad

Bikes: 2001 Kona Caldera (Sold) ,2004 Colnago Rapid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my Campagnolo Zonda's. There in your price range, the G3 rear wheel is supposed to be bombproof and the weight isn't to shabby at all (1660 grams) and you even get a set of campagnolo wheels bags (not to mention they look cooler than those mavics IMHO)

chad
Old 08-16-04, 10:11 AM
newbiecyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bling BLing? Maybe, but they are great wheels and are pretty durable too. Can't go wrong with Mavic.

I don't prefer boutique wheels since you can get great support from the supplier with Mavic or it is far less convenient. I would, however, try to get the wheels from a bike shop if you are at all concerned about support.

eBay is great for prices, but if anything goes wrong, you are on your own to deal with the manufacturers. Have to weigh the risks with the reward.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-04, 10:19 AM
bpohl
Disgruntled Planner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm digging on the speed dreams. Do you know about how much they run? You said they were cheap for what you get, but do you know about what I could expect to get a set for?

They are pretty sexy
Old 08-16-04, 11:39 AM
jlisota

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a pair of speed dreams from Dave Thomas and couldn't be happier. They are a very nice, light and durable wheel set. The model listed on the web site is a bit out of date. Call Dave for his current build. Mine are velocity Aerohead rims, Sapim spokes (I think) and White Industry hubs. Wheel build + rim tape + shipping = $575. Dave was great to work with.
Old 08-16-04, 12:49 PM
park

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Trek came with Shimano 7800 wheels and these have turned out to be indestructible. I think the front has 16 spokes and the rear 20. They don't look strong and I worried that they wouldn't be able to hold up to the pot hole laden, gnarly sections of road that are all too common where I live. I've got almost 3000 miles on them now and I have yet to do any truing with them. Bomb proof to be sure.