Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Veloteq Ranger e-bike opinions?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Veloteq Ranger e-bike opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-10, 10:24 PM
mazmanr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Veloteq Ranger e-bike opinions?

Hi everyone,

I am considering getting this e-bike:

https://www.velolectric.com/ProductDe...tCode=V-Ranger

I will be getting if for less than the price that is listed on the site but I haven't been able to find any reviews or feedback on this bike online. Does anyone know anything about this bike and how it performs?

Any input would be appreciated!
Old 04-23-10, 10:36 PM
morph999 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know much about veloteq bikes. Keep in mind that it probably won't take you up a really steep hill without pedaling but it can probably do a small hill. 250w motor is pretty weak. If you don't mind going 15 mph then it's okay but I think it's way overpriced for what you get.

This has got 500w motor with a 36v 10AH lithium battery. I personally don't like the handlebars but you could change out that one with another one pretty easily.
https://www.currietech.com/currie-tec...ctric-bike.php

If you know how to use a wrench, you are probably better off building your own. If you want to build your own, there are people on here who can give you some advice on what to get.
Old 04-28-10, 01:50 PM
lespuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How weak is the 250 watt motor. I'm relatively light about 160 pounds. I was interested in getting one of those 250 watt mini motors for the front rim. Also would there be a difference in between lets say a 24v vs 36v vs 48v with a 250 watt motor ??

TIA
Old 04-28-10, 02:28 PM
morph999 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The consensus from most e-bikers is that you need at least a 400w motor to get up a steep hill without pedaling. If you don't mind pedaling then a 250w motor is fine but just keep in mind that you probably won't be able to go on an entire ride without pedaling unless you live in a very flat area. For example, I have a 750w motor and I went on a ride today and never pedaled the entire time. It even carried me up a pretty steep hill.

Yes, there is a big difference in 24v, 36v, and 48v and that's speed and power. In order to use 36v or 48v, you need to have a proper controller that allows that kind of voltage. So you'll have to know what kind of controller that you are getting. I have two controllers and two e-bikes. One controller is a 48v 1000w controller so I can only use 48v batteries on it. I can't use 36v on that controller. It won't work right because of the low voltage cutoff setting. My other controller is a 36v - 72v controller which means that I can use any voltage from 36v to 72v. Also, if your controller says it's made for 48v, if you put more on it, you'll likely fry it.

But yeah, even with a 250w motor, you might go 15 mph with 24v but you might go 22mph on 48v so adding more voltage will increase speed and acceleration but it still might not be able to get up a steep hill without pedaling. Most people get at least a 400w motor. I like speed and power, though so you might want just a little bit of assist so the 250w motor might satisfy you just fine.

If you live in california, you can rent e-bikes for the day so you should go rent one and try it out and ask about how much power it is so you can have an idea what you like.