Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Old 11-15-12, 08:43 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
fredelicious 41 question, but this is the only place where i actually pay attention to (a few folks) opinions.

looking to get a cheap and cheerful bike to get around town. the so-called cycling routes are pathetic. poor surfaces, poorly marked, no ramps, etc.

thinking about getting one either a BD mercier kilo wt or a moto fantom uno.

both will require some modifications (i.e. saddle, possible bars...). leaning towards the latter.

thoughts? bd jabs?
Old 11-15-12, 08:56 AM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I know nothing about the mercier, but know more than one person who have cracked (newish) moto frames lately. Maybe for a cheerful jaunt around the village this may not apply...how fat have you gotten?
Old 11-15-12, 08:57 AM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Since you mention the roads, I would go with the moto fantom uno because of the tire options available with the canti brakes.
Old 11-15-12, 08:57 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
fredelicious 41 question, but this is the only place where i actually pay attention to (a few folks) opinions.

looking to get a cheap and cheerful bike to get around town. the so-called cycling routes are pathetic. poor surfaces, poorly marked, no ramps, etc.

thinking about getting one either a BD mercier kilo wt or a moto fantom uno.

both will require some modifications (i.e. saddle, possible bars...). leaning towards the latter.

thoughts? bd jabs?
I've been seriously considering the Moto Fantom Cross for my wife. A buddy of mine has one, and he is quite happy with it. Of course, while my buddy is quite a strong racer, he also is quite cheap.
Old 11-15-12, 09:06 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by hammy56
I know nothing about the mercier, but know more than one person who have cracked (newish) moto frames lately. Maybe for a cheerful jaunt around the village this may not apply...how fat have you gotten?
muscle mass has decreased. weight is more or less the same.

Originally Posted by wanders
Since you mention the roads, I would go with the moto fantom uno because of the tire options available with the canti brakes.
biggest drawback for me in the cantilever brakes. hate 'em.

Last edited by botto; 11-15-12 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-15-12, 09:27 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to hate the cantis on my Redline until I replaced the cables and adjusted them correctly. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. However, if I were going to build up a cheerful around town fixed gear (not a fixie, you're no steekin' hipster), I would build one up from a classic bike frame, one that can handle 25c tires.
Old 11-15-12, 09:53 AM
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just won a PRS Tremonti SE guitar in a Facebook contest. Cool!
Old 11-15-12, 10:13 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by shovelhd
I used to hate the cantis on my Redline until I replaced the cables and adjusted them correctly. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. However, if I were going to build up a cheerful around town fixed gear (not a fixie, you're no steekin' hipster), I would build one up from a classic bike frame, one that can handle 25c tires.
i hear you, but three things stop me from doing that: budget, roads, and crime.
Old 11-15-12, 10:18 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre
It's pretty embarssing when I get up to go to the bathroom at work (usually after sitting an hour or two), get dizzy and can't see anything but black but still walking towards the bathroom anyways. Then of course someone wants to talk to me, but I can't see them and I'm about to pass out and it's really awkward.
Sounds like you need to count to 10 before you start walking.

Sometimes when I wake up I notice my heart skips beats every now & then. If I'm at 60 bpm pace, there can be 3 or 4 "dead air" spots during the minute. beat ... beat ... beat ... "cricket" .... beat ..... beat ..... beat
Seems normal most of the time.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 11-15-12 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-15-12, 10:33 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
What of a Nexus type 3 or 7 speed rear coaster brake bike? Add a front brake and it should be pretty stealth. I'm thinking old beat up hybrid off of Craigslist kind of bike. Add bars/stem/saddle of your choice.
Old 11-15-12, 10:36 AM
ADSW

Bikes: Felt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upgrade or buy a new bike?

Bought a Felt Z95 two years ago on an impulse and havn't used it until now for various reasons (school, work, etc). Now that I have absolutely fallen in live with cycling i'm going to get into racing in 2013.

I've already bought a Easton EA50 wheelset with conti 4000gps tires so that was my first upgrade. It was the easiest and cheapest thing to do thus far. I've looked into the pricing of upgrading to all shimano 105 parts and its going to cost around $700-800 which is about what I paid for the bike in the first place!

I have the money to buy a bike in the range of around $1900-2500 but i'm just wondering if I should keep my frame (Felt Endurance Road Superlight Custom Butted 6061 aluminum, machined threaded BB shell, DT cable routing, forged aluminum dropouts & forged replaceable rear derailleur hanger) and upgrade all the other parts...or obviously buy a racing inspired bike now (cheaper prices since the LBS's are trying to get rid of 2012 stock).

Right now, I can almost not stand the shifting mechanism when i'm in the drops because it is a thumb shifter and i have to move my hand onto the hoods in order for me to reach it (really really not practical).

All feedback would be wonderful and much appreciated!
Old 11-15-12, 10:40 AM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ADSW

Bought a Felt Z95 two years ago on an impulse and havn't used it until now for various reasons (school, work, etc). Now that I have absolutely fallen in live with cycling i'm going to get into racing in 2013.

I've already bought a Easton EA50 wheelset with conti 4000gps tires so that was my first upgrade. It was the easiest and cheapest thing to do thus far. I've looked into the pricing of upgrading to all shimano 105 parts and its going to cost around $700-800 which is about what I paid for the bike in the first place!

I have the money to buy a bike in the range of around $1900-2500 but i'm just wondering if I should keep my frame (Felt Endurance Road Superlight Custom Butted 6061 aluminum, machined threaded BB shell, DT cable routing, forged aluminum dropouts & forged replaceable rear derailleur hanger) and upgrade all the other parts...or obviously buy a racing inspired bike now (cheaper prices since the LBS's are trying to get rid of 2012 stock).

Right now, I can almost not stand the shifting mechanism when i'm in the drops because it is a thumb shifter and i have to move my hand onto the hoods in order for me to reach it (really really not practical).

If I were in your shoes, I'd sell your current setup and funnel that money into something new.

Rule of thumb (unless you have employee pricing hookup):
Bikes are cheap. Parts are expensive.

Also, you're at the point where your current setup will begin to depreciate dramatically - after about 2 years old.
Old 11-15-12, 10:45 AM
ADSW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnybutts
If I were in your shoes, I'd sell your current setup and funnel that money into something new.

Rule of thumb (unless you have employee pricing hookup):
Bikes are cheap. Parts are expensive.

Also, you're at the point where your current setup will begin to depreciate dramatically - after about 2 years old.
Nope, no employee pricing hookup, that would be sweet though. I like you're answer since it's sort of what i'm leaning towards anyways. It really is just the fact of me pulling the trigger and doing it (a lot of money to spend without knowing if i'll be successful in my endeavors come 2013)
Old 11-15-12, 10:54 AM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nope, no employee pricing hookup, that would be sweet though. I like you're answer since it's sort of what i'm leaning towards anyways. It really is just the fact of me pulling the trigger and doing it (a lot of money to spend without knowing if i'll be successful in my endeavors come 2013)

Also, if you do your research, ask your shop buddies to look up specific 2012 clearance models on the manufacture's distribution sites to see what deals can be had there. You aren't limited to just what they have on the floor. The deal though, is to know what you want so you don't send the employee on a wild goose chase - and once you order it, it's yours.
Old 11-15-12, 11:01 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Looks like stopping power and choice of bell/horn are the most important factors.

Old 11-15-12, 11:05 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Sounds like you have Sora ? Is that 9 speed ?
You could buy better quality shifters (used or NOS) since that's the only problem with the bike. Race on it, then see if you really want to stick with it before blowing big bucks on a new bike.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 11-15-12 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-15-12, 11:35 AM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fredelicious 41 question...

thoughts? bd jabs?
My mountain bike is a Moto. I've got no complaints after 3 years. It took about 1/2 an hour to get set up initially.

I would probably go for this. https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/bullseye.htm Put some smooth, wide, tough tires on it and be off. Like you, I hate canti's and long-reach calipers aren't great. The BB5 discs on this would be a lot better.

Good to see you're still in one piece. Hopefully Sandy was not too destructive for your family's place.
Old 11-15-12, 12:05 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Creatre
It's pretty embarssing when I get up to go to the bathroom at work (usually after sitting an hour or two), get dizzy and can't see anything but black but still walking towards the bathroom anyways. Then of course someone wants to talk to me, but I can't see them and I'm about to pass out and it's really awkward.
I've learned how to function when my vision goes black like that. When I feel it coming on I reach out and touch something so I have a reference when I can't see and I'm dizzy. It passes pretty quick.

I try to remember to stand up in stages instead of leaping to my feet but I don't always do it.

Supposedly you can tense your leg muscles momentarily before standing and that will take care of it, but I can't remember that either.
Old 11-15-12, 12:09 PM
shovelhd

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't remember squat.
Old 11-15-12, 12:23 PM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
I've learned how to function when my vision goes black like that. When I feel it coming on I reach out and touch something so I have a reference when I can't see and I'm dizzy. It passes pretty quick.

I try to remember to stand up in stages instead of leaping to my feet but I don't always do it.

Supposedly you can tense your leg muscles momentarily before standing and that will take care of it, but I can't remember that either.
If you bend over and touch your toes, or just act like your touching your toes the blood will rush to your head or whatever and it should pass. My dad is really good at pretending to tie his shoes when this happens. I usually try to act normal and continue walking and probably look drunk.
Old 11-15-12, 12:32 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
What of a Nexus type 3 or 7 speed rear coaster brake bike? Add a front brake and it should be pretty stealth. I'm thinking old beat up hybrid off of Craigslist kind of bike. Add bars/stem/saddle of your choice.

Will want something like that as well. Most likely bring my old trek mountain bike over.

This would be part town bike, part ride bike.
Old 11-15-12, 12:41 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Buy a gun and take up jogging?
Old 11-15-12, 01:52 PM
ADSW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Sounds like you have Sora ? Is that 9 speed ?
You could buy better quality shifters (used or NOS) since that's the only problem with the bike. Race on it, then see if you really want to stick with it before blowing big bucks on a new bike.
Yup they are Sora shifters, 9 speed. I was under the impression that the better shifters are only compatible with 10 speed casettes (Does the crank set matter as well?).
Old 11-15-12, 02:20 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
My mountain bike is a Moto. I've got no complaints after 3 years. It took about 1/2 an hour to get set up initially.

I would probably go for this. https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/bullseye.htm Put some smooth, wide, tough tires on it and be off. Like you, I hate canti's and long-reach calipers aren't great. The BB5 discs on this would be a lot better.
interesting twist. thanks.

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Good to see you're still in one piece. Hopefully Sandy was not too destructive for your family's place.
i was far away from sandy, but yeah. it was a huge relief that the 'compound' survived.

just discovered yesterday that something of mine, that was entrusted to a friend, was stored in a flooded storage space in chelsea. pretty pissed.

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Buy a gun and take up jogging?
the first is tempting, and as far as the second - i'm still in pain from a run walk run 5K on sunday.

Last edited by botto; 11-15-12 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-15-12, 02:45 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
so theyre building a new velodrome just north of Denver. Looks like one more bike I'll need to add to the stable...never ridden on the track but it looks like a real hoot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.