Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any of you 'rollers NOT trainer' people doing it on regular rollers (not e-motions?)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any of you 'rollers NOT trainer' people doing it on regular rollers (not e-motions?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 06:50 PM
hhnngg1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Curious - of all you roller-loving indoor training folks out there who find it preferable over a trainer - any of you using non-float regular rollers? Nearly all the thumbs up roller comments I see come from e-motion roller users, so curious of some people are actually doing a lot of quality work on rollers, more than just spins for technique.
Old 01-22-13, 06:51 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I used a set of minouras with a magnet unit for years before I got emotions. I liked those much better than a real wheel trainer.
Old 01-22-13, 07:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Real rollers here. Performance travel-trac model.

Good rollers and only a bit over $100 if you wait for a sale.

I can't do intervals on them though, I must admit. Just spin and work on technique.
Old 01-22-13, 07:07 PM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Regular straight rollers for me. Do one leg drills, sprints and intervals.
Old 01-22-13, 07:46 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Straight Performance Travel Trac with a fluid resistance unit. Bought in 1998, I think. IMO the resistance unit is necessary for a quality workout. Otherwise can't get enough resistance even in 52X12 to force the cadence down for those sorts of workouts. I wish I had two of those resistance units on it. A huge help for my training. I do pedaling drills, intervals, recovery rides, endurance rides, TTs, all that stuff on my rollers.
Old 01-22-13, 08:05 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cycleops rollers with resistance are the bomb.
Old 01-22-13, 08:17 PM
bsektzer

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Kreitler rollers with their Head Wind resistance unit is more than enough to give anyone a good workout
Old 01-22-13, 08:36 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also curious - how much roller time (or days per week) are you guys doing your roller work, and how hard? Just surprised that there are actually some folks who are doing real quality work on the regular rollers without e-motions.
Old 01-22-13, 08:37 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Also curious - how much roller time (or days per week) are you guys doing your roller work, and how hard? Just surprised that there are actually some folks who are doing real quality work on the regular rollers without e-motions.
Why are you surprised?
Old 01-22-13, 08:46 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you do that work on old-school rollers? That's why I'm surprised.
Old 01-22-13, 09:05 PM
FasterNearGirls

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Travel Trac Inertial (with the 3 sets of mag / progressive resistance) but since the resistance was so mild, I got a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine trainer, and exchanged the rollers for the regular alloy Travel Trac. So now I use both, and as you mention, use the rollers only for leg speed, technique, and recovery spins.

So again, in my opinion, the resistance provided by my first set of rollers was lame and nowhere near enough for what I needed to train with structure. I'd spin out my 53x11 and while not generating that many watts.

Very happy with the current combo of KK Road Machine trainer + regular rollers.
Old 01-22-13, 09:43 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a pair of TravelTracs that are about 3 years old (no resistance setting.) It has enough resistance for tough workouts - I just have to spin it up in the largest gear, but it's plenty enough to hurt me if I keep the pace up. That's not the problem though - it's the inevitable bumps forward/back that require some really delicate handling, even after lots of proficiency (I can do lots of roller tricks including one leg,sprinting in the drops, no arms, and no look.) It just takes me too much concentration to keep the bike from not occasionally hopping forward/back on the accels/decels, which detracts from the power of doing dedicated hardcore intervals compared to my trainer.

Less of an issue on true steady state riding, but even with that, it's so much easier to do it on a trainer and go for longer with more TSS than to do it on the rollers for 3 hours, constantly worrying about the fore/aft on accels/decels.
Old 01-22-13, 10:39 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
honest question time: do people actually struggle riding rollers? I don't think they are that hard, hell if u ride them for one hour you've mastered them. I think i did threshold intervals on mine the second day i owned them,
Old 01-22-13, 11:40 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yeah, real quality work on old school rollers. Except that, as I said above, I have a resistance unit. I do everything except sprints. Sprints on a roller or trainer aren't the real thing because you're not accelerating your bike and bod.

From October to April I'm usually on them 3 days/week. It'd be 4 except that I do a spin class instead. I do a group ride one day, hike one day, and take one day off pretty much all year. Rollers get old and lonely. I'm always glad when I can get back on the road again evenings. Although I still do some roller work all summer. I have a lot of miles on these puppies. I don't see how people manage without them. I'd go nuts on a trainer, plus it's not the same.

I like my cheap plastic drum rollers. The rollers are light, hence little rotating mass, which puts more emphasis on the smooth part. Can't get away with anything.
Old 01-23-13, 12:19 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use standard rollers. Not for interval work though. It is my staple base workout when I can't get outside -- 1 hr at moderate power (200-ish watts) is my standard. I save the intervals for outdoor or trainer. I do spin it up regularly and stand to keep things from getting too boring, but my bike never jumps for-aft unless I am particularly violent transitioning from sitting to standing.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 01-23-13 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 01:28 AM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Back when I lived in a place with winter we used to do "Star Trek Intervals". You put on Star Trek and ride tempo during the program so you can pay attention, then when a commercial comes on you hold it at max til the end of the commercial. They tend to get more frequent and last longer as the show progresses. Now that I live in a winterless place we just ride outside. I've used rollers to warm up at the track a lot though- just plain old cheap rollers-- usually the folding version of the Performance travel-trac.
Old 01-23-13, 02:23 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by bsektzer
The Kreitler rollers with their Head Wind resistance unit is more than enough to give anyone a good workout
+1
They're the cat's meow and the dog's bollocks.
Old 01-23-13, 06:35 AM
saratoga

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do 90% of my indoor work on plain jane rollers with no resistance (about 18 hours in Jan so far). About the only thing I can't do on them is big gear stomps because it's too easy to just spin up.

Looking for a better set now because the belt broke on my el cheapo minoura rollers the last time I used them. The bearings were crapping out because the rollers moved side-side when riding.

Are there some people implying they're too hard to ride?
Old 01-23-13, 06:59 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Trutrainer rollers with the weighted flywheel for me. I do Sufferfest videos for an interval workout and try to hit 0.90 IF on the Powertap (which records low for me on rollers to begin with) and long hard sessions for non-interval workouts.
Old 01-23-13, 07:31 AM
wheelzqc

Bikes: Ridley Helium, Trek Crocket, Trek SuperFly, Focus Chrono

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How can a powertap record low on rollers (or trainer or any other place) ?

I use Minoura rollers with the mag unit. I did a threshold hour workout last night while watching the hockey game. First winter with the rollers. I had a KK Road Machine but sold it (I was satisfied, but decided to keep one).
Old 01-23-13, 07:47 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

for a variety of environmental reasons wattages tend to be lower indoors for the same perceived effort
Old 01-23-13, 07:56 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I don't have resistance but still do everything on them. I don't train with power but HR and I can get into all of my zones no issue on rollers.
Old 01-23-13, 09:26 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Emotion and other floating rollers defeat the purpose of rollers. By accomodating your lack of smoothness, they don't force you to correct it. Rollers are all about improving form (and yes, you can get enough resistance with various models to get plenty of a workout).
Old 01-23-13, 09:30 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

sigh. the purpose of any training aid is to improve. the idea that one needs to spend a lot of time getting 'smoother' is erroneous, at best. What emotion do is allow you to train long and hard without being locked into a rigid frame. It's a much more natural way of riding, and as a result in general one can typically ride longer with less mental and physical discomfort. The float allows one to change positions, stand, sprint, etc while riding more naturally.

I've got two sets of them, and have ridden 100s and 100s of hours on them.

And no, I couldn't get enough resistance from regular rollers to do what I just got done doing.
Old 01-23-13, 12:57 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
...the idea that one needs to spend a lot of time getting 'smoother' is erroneous, at best. What emotion do is allow you to train long and hard without being locked into a rigid frame. ...The float allows one to change positions, stand, sprint, etc while riding more naturally. ....
Correct. When you go from sitting to standing, standing to sitting, or otherwise shift your weight forward or back on the bike when riding, the bike moves back or forward beneath you because its so much lighter than you. You certainly see this riding in a paceline if the rider in front of you suddenly stands. E-motion rollers helps to accommodate this natural fore/aft motion of the bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.