Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

first track bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 05:22 PM
jeffkrop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
first track bike

newbe I'm looking at the felt TK3 for my first track bike. I'm looking at this for the price mainly and I also want something I can ride on the street. I am riding a fixie on the streets of Minneapolis that I converted last year and loving it. Now I plan to take the intro classed at the Blane velodrome in may to get a start on the track. But I need a bike!
Any thoughts on the felt TK3? I understand that the crank is not the best but I could upgrade as I go. Also I finding that none of the bikie shop around Minnesota have track bikes in stock Im scared to buy a bike with out trying it. what do you all do and can you tell me anything about picking the right size and the right things to ask?
It took me forever to find this site amd I have so many thing to talk about?
thanks
Jeff Krop
Old 03-17-10, 06:00 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They should still have rentals at Blaine, afaik. I'm not sure if you can race on them, but you can almost certainly get one for taking the class. I'd take the class first and ask around about either used bikes or see if you can try a TK3 of someone elses.

As far as size, measure your current bike (assuming it fits) and check the geometry on the Felt page, and you should be able to figure it out. They tend to run a little small in the cockpit, so you might find yourself looking for a slightly larger size than you thought. You could always come out to LA and take the class at the home depot center-- all the rentals are Felts.
Old 03-17-10, 06:24 PM
jeffkrop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so no to the TK2?

what don't you like about the TK2 Ive also been looking at the Fuji track comp? Id like to get one of these bike for the street as much as the track so I'm not so much up for renting
Old 03-17-10, 06:45 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
TK2 is quite nice (and the TK1 is really nice), but you asked about the TK3...was that a typo?

I'd probably go Felt over Fuji-- IIRC fuji had some problems with crank clearance last year.

And I wouldn't rent for long, but it's a good way to get onto the track and check out bikes without having to rush to buy. And if price is a major driver, I'd see what people at the track are selling. You can still get some decent deals on used bikes, though they tend to go fast now that fixed is popular on the street.

Last edited by bitingduck; 03-17-10 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-19-10, 04:18 PM
jeffkrop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah tk2

im sorry the tk3 is what Im looking at I think Im going to get that one so anyone have one

Last edited by jeffkrop; 03-19-10 at 04:22 PM.