Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Crankset with swapable spindles?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 11:12 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 431 Posts

I've previously posted my difficulty on finding 160-165mm crank arms for my fleet, previously using Square Taper BB's and whatever crankarms were available and/or cutting down larger ones.

I'm moving out of the Square Taper realm, everything is incompatable with each other.

Long story short, I need a system that has a swapable spindle.

I can find 165 length crank sets, I can find spindle lengths I need, in 170 and 175mm.

Most cranksets seem to be 2 piece which in my opinion is absolute horse poop.

I'm looking to upgrade 3 bikes with the same standard, 2 MTB and 1 Fat and maybe one other.

Are there any cranksets with a 24mm or 30mm spindle that can swap the spindle to different lengths for different spacings?

Any corrections on terminology would also be appreciated.
Old 05-17-24, 11:18 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4488 Post(s)
Liked 4,161 Times in 2,784 Posts
If you have a 68mm bottom brackets any crank would work that is 24mm or 30mm you don't really need to swap spindles though I believe ROTOR had more modular cranks if you are trying to deal with different shell widths. With the HT2 style of cranks you don't need different spindles for the same shell width.

Give us some info on what you are dealing with in terms of shell widths and that will help people give you good info!
Old 05-17-24, 11:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6344 Post(s)
Liked 4,943 Times in 3,405 Posts
Most cranksets seem to be 2 piece which in my opinion is absolute horse poop.
Don't poop on the 2 piece cranksets till you try them. They really take a lot of the guessing what works with what out of the process. Essentially all you need to know is what type BB shell is on your bike and the width of that BB shell. Also helps to look at road cranks for road bikes and mountain bike cranks for mountain bikes as there are some minor chain line differences for them at differing number of speeds on the rear that crank is made for.

​​​​​​​However, if you are wanting to do something non-standard for some unique reasons, then cartridge type BB's will give you more flexibility on that.
Old 05-17-24, 11:30 AM
CrimsonEclipse

The BB I'm having trouble with is 100mm fatbike

and I HAVE tried 2 piece.

It's fine for the 90% of people in 68mm BB's and can use 170/175mm spindle lengths.

I'm short. There's no changing that.

So a fat bike with short cranks is a rarity and so far for me, unobtainable.

I'm trying to move away from cartridge bearings, and even with those, only square taper has any variety of crank lengths.
Old 05-17-24, 11:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6344 Post(s)
Liked 4,943 Times in 3,405 Posts
You don't want two piece, you don't want cartridge bearings. What do you want? Sounds like you will be stuck with the old square tapers with spindle and separate loose bearings.

I've got 165mm cranks on my bikes. What's the issue you are having. I've probably read your old thread, but there are so many others about the same subject, you will have to refresh us what exactly are the issues you have. Or link the thread for us.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-17-24 at 11:41 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-17-24, 06:49 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Originally Posted by Iride01
You don't want two piece, you don't want cartridge bearings. What do you want? Sounds like you will be stuck with the old square tapers with spindle and separate loose bearings.

I've got 165mm cranks on my bikes. What's the issue you are having. I've probably read your old thread, but there are so many others about the same subject, you will have to refresh us what exactly are the issues you have. Or link the thread for us.
Read the original post please..

Nevermind everyone, I figured it out....
Old 05-17-24, 07:09 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,103 Times in 1,978 Posts
I get what you are after. I suggest bringing the question to a reputable LBS & if they are unwilling to help figure it out with you, email some of the big named brands.
Old 05-17-24, 07:32 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 740 Posts
Rotor and white industry are the only two I can think of, the rest of the companies are obsessed with having the spindle be a part of one arm, I'm sure to save a minimal amount of weight from the second bolt.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-17-24, 07:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,103 Times in 1,978 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Rotor and white industry are the only two I can think of, the rest of the companies are obsessed with having the spindle be a part of one arm, I'm sure to save a minimal amount of weight from the second bolt.
I would like the bicycle industry to work on making things that have an unnecessary large size & irregular shapes that are prone to catching & harboring debris to being more sleek, slim, & simpler versus just focusing on aero & weight. Not every road rider "races" & would like to benefit from real life benefits.
I'm sure if sleek, slim, & simpler were pioneered that less weight might come as an attribute.
Old 05-18-24, 12:46 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 3,422 Times in 2,071 Posts
https://www.bikesmithdesign.com/Short_Cranks/

​​​​​​https://hostelshoppe.com/products/cj...xoCXMcQAvD_BwE
Old 05-18-24, 02:53 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 320 Posts
Hope. https://www.hopetech.com/products/drivetrain/cranksets/ Now available in carbon fiber and as short as 155 mm!
Old 05-18-24, 03:22 PM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
My question is what’s driving you out of the square taper realm? If it works, no need to change