Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading LIII

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 11:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Fun time on the GAP a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105349...57711028792093

Saw two bald eagles, an osprey and a couple of GB herons. Weather was really pleasant Saturday and Sunday, although the former featured a strong headwind. Turns out a new hotel along the trail in Connellsville will sell you a shower if you are staying in the Adirondack shelters in the nearby park. For $10 you get a towel, wash cloth, soap and little bottles of shampoo and conditioner.

The third day to Pittsburgh was the longest. About 60 miles. It was pretty warm and somewhat humid. Checked into my room, took a nap then had a great BBQ dinner with an old friend of mine. Tuesday and Wednesday were near 90 degrees. Camped both nights. The place Tuesday night was really nice. The shower with live plants is pictured above. Wednesday was so-so. Thursday's camping location was less than ideal. The hostel and inn portions were down low. The get to the camping area I had to push my bike up a series of steep ramps. I almost did not make it. The next morning I carried the panniers down and then the bike separately. Turned out to be a good idea because I could barely control the bike without the bags attached to it. it had started raining overnight. Got wet and very dirty during the 16 miles back to the car.

There were a lot of people riding the trail. I even saw one organized, supported tour heading south when I was about 25 miles from Pittsburgh. Based on their loads, most of the through riders appeared to be staying indoors. In W. Newton, PA, someone had the foresight to buy up four residences right along the trail, fix them up and turn them into B&Bs. They appeared well occupied the day I camped there.

Headed out on a long weekend on Friday to a local go-to state park in NJ. I'll probably pop into a county zoo on Saturday as it's near the closest real grocery source. Sunday I'll ride to and them up the coast to Atlantic City and catch the train back to town. If the long range forecast holds true, I should be able to get in some more long weekends in October.
Old 09-26-19, 04:30 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
first day of "weather" here in san diego. more like really thick fog with some showers hitting the pavement. Wasn't it just 95* here last weekend?
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-26-19, 05:46 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
down here in peewee there was some kind of small shower overnight (drops on the cars but ground not very wet), and not really foggy in the morning
Old 09-30-19, 08:51 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Well I took my youngest son down to the bike shop with his little BMX bike (he is nine) and got him a mountain bike as kids can be tough on bikes (jumping curbs, and such).

I picked up a Raleigh Talus with the rim brakes, trigger shifters, and 27.5 tires in a small frame (should last him a couple years).

While I was there I gave the bike shop owner a jersey (I had ordered it thinking I ordered a bigger size than the one I had only to find out it was the same size and a bit small for me at that), and my wife and I tried out a couple IZIP e-bikes.

I can see the allure of the e-bike as it definitely is a different ball game when it comes to riding, and I can see how that assist could really help me on hills making riding more fun (I hate hills, and they hate me).