Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anything Wrong With You? (Physical Health)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anything Wrong With You? (Physical Health)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 02:35 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Drag
Arterial stent. Back in 2005. Hence why I rediscovered cycling as part of a 'healthier' lifestyle.
Coronary, carotid, throacic, abdominal, peripheral?
Old 05-04-10, 02:39 PM
arok 

Bikes: 2013 Look 675 Ultegra, 2013 Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
minor asthma only effects me sometimes
Old 05-04-10, 02:41 PM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Coronary, carotid, throacic, abdominal, peripheral?
Coronary.

FWIW, I have no family history, am not / was not overweight, and had a cholesterol reading of 176 at the time. It stymied the doctors (they couldn't find it) at first, but stress tests showed something was not right. I'm just happy to be here.
Old 05-04-10, 03:00 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ankylosing spondylitis. (Arthritis in my back)

Biking helps out a lot.
Old 05-04-10, 03:04 PM
pabuck

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chronic lower/mid back pain (sacro up about four vertebrae). Cycling has been the biggest help, actually. I'm stiff when I get done riding, but I'm rarely missing work anymore from the pain.

Allergies, asthma.

Something's up with my left shoulder, but I can't figure out what. Doc gave up, going to see a PT on Thursday.
Old 05-04-10, 03:17 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Drag
Coronary.

FWIW, I have no family history, am not / was not overweight, and had a cholesterol reading of 176 at the time. It stymied the doctors (they couldn't find it) at first, but stress tests showed something was not right. I'm just happy to be here.

sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason. It's unusual but not that rare.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 05-04-10, 03:58 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Hamstring issues over the years. But never to the point of totally keeping me off the bike. It only slows me down when they're angry.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-04-10, 05:00 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"Coronary.

FWIW, I have no family history, am not / was not overweight, and had a cholesterol reading of 176 at the time. It stymied the doctors (they couldn't find it) at first, but stress tests showed something was not right. I'm just happy to be here."

Well, OK, if we can mention stents, I could add my own three in two coronary arteries. But they've put me back into good heart health. My risks were genetic, too much ice cream after a healthy meal, and stress.
Old 05-04-10, 05:27 PM
Felt Z65
Felt Z65

Bikes: 2007 Felt Z65, low-end 2002 Schwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coronary bypass (3) in 1986, balloons in early 90's, balloons with stents in early 00's, then again last September. High blood pressure, high cholesterol levels (controlled with meds), and 70 year old legs. (Actually, the rest of me is 70 years old too.) I ride every day, but only an hour or so. Love it! Been riding since a year or two before I had to quit running, but I sure wish I had started when I was younger.
Old 05-04-10, 05:50 PM
Longfemur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your doctor says it's Ok, then ride and don't worry about it. It can only be good for you. When I was your age, I rode a lot, on a road bike (before they were called road bikes). My only medical problem at the time was severe pollen allergy. At 56, I still have that plus asthma now, I've had a kidney transplant, skin cancer, a heart issue called left ventricular hypertrophy, I have an irregular heartbeat, and I'm probably not in my right mind either, but I still ride every day, weather permitting. I ride moderately fast, and slow down once in a while, but I'm still out there passing the more casual cyclists. and when I go, I'm out for a couple of hours, sometimes longer.

But don't take chances. Ask your cardiologist.
Old 05-04-10, 05:58 PM
waanfiride
I Only Got One Ventricle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Longfemur
If your doctor says it's Ok, then ride and don't worry about it. It can only be good for you. When I was your age, I rode a lot, on a road bike (before they were called road bikes). My only medical problem at the time was severe pollen allergy. At 56, I still have that plus asthma now, I've had a kidney transplant, skin cancer, a heart issue called left ventricular hypertrophy, I have an irregular heartbeat, and I'm probably not in my right mind either, but I still ride every day, weather permitting. I ride moderately fast, and slow down once in a while, but I'm still out there passing the more casual cyclists. and when I go, I'm out for a couple of hours, sometimes longer.

But don't take chances. Ask your cardiologist.

Yeah, that's the plan as of now. Part of my heart is growing way bigger than it should be (it's ~2.5x bigger than a full grown adult males should be- and I'm a tiny guy), and they're kind of waiting to decide if they're going to operate before it ruptures, or see if it will stop growing on its own, or with meds. Nothing is really "known" I've got a compounding of conditions that make my case really, really unique.
Old 05-04-10, 07:03 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by cachehiker
4 of the 5 voices in my head tell me there's nothing wrong with me.

the other tells me I'm out of shape.
^^^Now THIS is funny! I am a Type II diabetic who has had a partial amputation of my left foot back in 2003 (see my sig) and I have had 4 subsequent surgeries, each one removing a bit more. My surgeries have cost me huge portions of the past 3 cycling seasons since I seem to have my issues in the summer or spring. I, likely, have logged only about 1500 miles over the past 3 years due to this foot of mine but I think the docs and I have it right this time. Now if I can only get my bikes up here from New Jersey.

Cheers,

Brian J.

― Bruce Lee
Old 05-04-10, 07:04 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Had the lower lobe of my right lung removed when I was 21. I am 36 now and have psoriatic arthritis that for the past 4 or 5 years has been terrible, but biking seems to help. My right knee is screwed up from a motorcycle accident but biking seems to help it feel better and stronger. Biking is helping me loose my baby fat. Basically, biking is helping me greatly.

Last edited by RJM; 05-04-10 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-04-10, 07:05 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by AMFJ
fat thus I'm slow
Ummmmmmm.....this too.

― Bruce Lee
Old 05-04-10, 07:17 PM
crash66
Lucky 47

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.

Nothing like numbness, pain, tingling, muscular irritation and fatigue, along with constant twitching of every muscle in my upper body on a rotating basis.

Happy happy, joy joy.
Old 05-04-10, 07:45 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Thank ankle looks very painful.

Not any more.

A college sports injury from 1974 finally caught up to me. The arthritis was so bad the best fix was fusing the ankle. For the first time in 12 years I can hammer while standing on the pedals and even walk a few miles with my wife. Almost every day I rediscover that I can do things pain free that I had endured with for years.
Old 05-04-10, 08:06 PM
smith-great

Bikes: What is a bicycle?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ex-runner. One foot supinates and the other over-pronates. To run, I had to get custom shoes. Got sick of having to get$200-$300 shoes every six months (or less).

Switched to Cycling because it was CHEAPER than Running.
Old 05-04-10, 08:09 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by cachehiker
4 of the 5 voices in my head tell me there's nothing wrong with me.

the other tells me I'm out of shape.
I really like this one because, if you look at the sig, there are four bikes. Obviously the voice that says cachehiker is out of shape doesn't get a bike.

I have a few things, but nothing major.

First, something in my heart beats wrong/opposite what it's supposed to. It reverses itself at 112-114 bpm (I learned this after a LOT of various tests involving IVs, treadmills, radioactive blood dyes, sonograms, and other things). I carry around an EKG printout, laminated, with doctor's notes on it. This is so that if I'm knocked unconscious people don't try to defib me. The only way it manifests itself is when my heart races in neutral - typically 240 bpm, with not much blood moving around. I feel like I've been holding my breath for a minute or so (but it feels that way in about 2 seconds). It happened a lot as a kid, less so now. Lasts 10-15 seconds to a while, maybe 5 minutes. As a kid maybe longer, 15-20 minutes. Back then I just lay down and prayed it'd be okay. Now I just stop whatever I'm doing and pray it'd be okay.

Second, apparently I have "a bunch of ruptured and bulging disks" in my back. That's what the doc told me after I collapsed on the deck a couple years ago. He says it's not a problem as long as I don't feel pain. I do get a bit skewed when I do long rides but I think that's kind of normal.

That's about it. I have to wear glasses and I have normal pollen allergies. I am lactose intolerant but crave milk sometimes.

My weight fluctuates a bit. I broke 160 around Y2K (2000 for those that weren't grown up yet ). By 2003 I was at about 215 lbs (5'7"). Stayed at 185-200 or so (tried to stay under that 200 mark, which, due to a bad scale, I thought was actually 190) for the next 6 years. Decided to diet for the first time in my life when I learned my scale was 10 lbs optimistic and I was really 183, not 173. Now at 158 or so for the last few months.

Overall though I feel like I'm fortunate.

cdr
Old 05-04-10, 08:23 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
After reading all that some have to endure, I feel very fortunate to be my age and in good health. I have a thyroid issue that put me down for the last three months till I got somewhat balanced out. Just now getting back to cycling again and does it feel great.
Old 05-04-10, 09:33 PM
Lykolate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I have a broken right wrist bone (scaphoid bone, a/k/a navicular) from a fall 8 years ago. Two failed surgeries and it still is broken. Of course I am right handed.

It always hurts a little but luckily biking doesn't bother it much. No bowling or raquet sports though.
aka the navicular no more the navicular has taken over for one of your tarsal bones, and the scaphoid is just the scaphoid bone. Helps to prevent confusion in the scientific and medical communities now
Old 05-04-10, 09:35 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I have two fused discs in my neck, that interferes with my ability to lift my neck back when riding in the drops. I have some arthritis in my lower back, but the doc says the cure for it is to "ride a bike"
I wonder if I can get a script for a new Madone and have the insurance pay for it?
Old 05-04-10, 09:58 PM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Type 2 and, 4 slipped disc's
Old 05-04-10, 10:05 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Beside the fact that I started racing at age 55 three years ago and that on December 1st my ankle now has a new look. Everything is fine.
Holy Tallywacker!
That metal work looks like the same wako artist that did the sculpture at Hopkins airport.
Old 05-04-10, 10:08 PM
Sincitycycler

Bikes: 2005 Scott CR1 Pro - 1992 Panasonix Fixed Conversion 60tx20t

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got this huge crack in my arse
Old 05-04-10, 10:39 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
In 2002 I was diagnosed with Male Breast cancer. After 6 months of chemo that almost killed me, I had a bilateral mastectomy. Got peripheral neuropathy in my hands and fee from the chemo. My hands are pretty normal, but my feet hurt all the time, 24/7. Been cancer free since sometime in '02.

My wife and I got hybrid bikes back in late '02 as I wanted to try to get fit. I remember taking a 5 mi bike ride while still on chemo and having to stop after 3 miles and take a nap. Would have called the wife to come get me but she was at work.

Got into road biking last March. Did my first century on 12.6.09 Averaged 19.0 mph ride time. Ride 100- 120 mi a week, and have done 2 more centuries and numerous metrics.

Never been much of an athlete, but really enjoy cycling. Wish I had started earlier.

Try to make the most of every day. You never know when....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.