Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Got my wife into cycling.

Old 06-22-18, 08:25 PM
Piperflyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Got my wife into cycling.

Well my wife has asthma and COPD and never been on a bike in the last 10 years. Since i started riding earlier this month i got her to get on our city free beach cruisers in Tulsa. We rode 10 miles today had to cut it short since she actually wanted to go more but she had a dentist appointment. She was pretty impressed by not needing her inhaler and actually enjoyed it. Bad thing is, now i have to buy her a bike lol jk. I’m leaning more towards maybe a Liv Alight 3 for her she won’t ride a great deal but i think that would be the better choice for her over getting a heavier beach cruiser single speed which kinda looses the gearing between 8-10 mph. A few hills she couldn’t quite power up on.

i’m glad she is going to be my new cycling buddy though.
Old 06-22-18, 10:47 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Good for both of you. Have you looked at an ebike for her.
Old 06-23-18, 07:14 AM
GZano

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Nothing better than riding with my best friend (my wife). Congratulation and enjoy yourself.
Old 06-23-18, 08:19 AM
ChiefTJS

Bikes: Trek Multitrack, Norco XFR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
That's awesome! Ten miles is certainly nothing to sneeze at for a non rider, good for her. My bicycle buying advice is to let her pick it out and let her also do some research so she knows what she's buying and why. Good luck, I love riding with my wife.
Old 06-24-18, 02:52 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Got to ride 21 miles this afternoon with my wife. Love riding with her. We recently purchased new bikes and she was involved in the purchase, so I knew she would like the bike and enjoy riding. Hope your wife is able to continue riding.
Old 06-24-18, 03:46 PM
tajar66

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My wife and I ride together regularly. Some advice keep your advice to a minimum.
Old 06-24-18, 05:28 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by tajar66
My wife and I ride together regularly. Some advice keep your advice to a minimum.

Yeah, I have a similar wife I guess but everybody is different.

I will tell you one thing MY wife really likes when we're out riding is an intercom. used to be called Cardo, now it's terrano or something. They mount on your helmet - very simple to use.
Old 06-24-18, 09:42 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
This is probably why my wife doesn’t ride with me anymore. Plus hills. Any time the road turns up, her smile turns upside-down.
Old 06-25-18, 02:20 AM
Piperflyer

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiefTJS
That's awesome! Ten miles is certainly nothing to sneeze at for a non rider, good for her. My bicycle buying advice is to let her pick it out and let her also do some research so she knows what she's buying and why. Good luck, I love riding with my wife.
yeah im going to let her do a little test riding this weekend and see what she feels best on. So either this weekend or next she might have something picked out
Old 06-25-18, 08:35 AM
tajar66

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by raceboy

This is probably why my wife doesn’t ride with me anymore. Plus hills. Any time the road turns up, her smile turns upside-down.
LOL
its funny cause I will tell her something and she will ignore my advice, but let someone else tell her the same thing and is the gospel. It's comical. My wife is pretty good at hills we got her a cassette with a really low gear which helped her on the bigger hills.
Old 06-30-18, 11:34 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked an intercom for my motorcycle helmet a while ago. Heed my warning.... don't do it.
Dont mention its existance. Lol

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

Yeah, I have a similar wife I guess but everybody is different.

I will tell you one thing MY wife really likes when we're out riding is an intercom. used to be called Cardo, now it's terrano or something. They mount on your helmet - very simple to use.
Old 07-01-18, 02:26 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Lots of people are anxious in the beginning but if she does too much too soon her enthusiasm could wane as the strain of the workout begins to set in. Always stop even when you feel you could do more. That way, the ride always ends as a positive experience. Stay safe and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by KraneXL; 07-01-18 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-01-18, 07:14 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I can't ride with my wife at all. Turns into a chore more than fun. We ride a couple times a year, but that is only a few miles to a little café for lunch then home. We can't exercise together on bikes. She is a better climber by far than me and I am way faster in the flats so it always turns into a thing! She is as competitive as I am. Then that thing how women don't forget stuff...yep its true. So we both choose to not ride together for work outs anyways.....this is better than a divorce lawyer! lol
Old 07-05-18, 11:27 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by ggoytia1
Picked an intercom for my motorcycle helmet a while ago. Heed my warning.... don't do it.
Dont mention its existance. Lol
With a bike, you can always ride out of range...
Old 07-05-18, 02:14 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I made the mistake of getting mine a jersey from Price Point. Not only was it too big for her, but she hated the god awful pink color that it was.

I have given her advice on things and she dismissed them. It wasn't till a few month's after that, she had an AH-HA moment and realized I might know what I was talking about.

I now have 3 bikes that I have to maintain instead of 2. That can start to get expensive.
Old 07-05-18, 11:30 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will still get an earful. Lol
its a great idea.
this is what the new motorcycle ones are capable of 5 miles...!
Nope.
rather walk 10 miles uphill barefoot in the middle of a blizzard. (Like i did when i went to school back in the day....🤣

***No longer will you have to worry about losing half of your group due to a Bluetooth chain linked connection of the past. With private mode you can invite and communicate with up to 16 riders at a range of up to 2.0 km (1.2 miles), while an endless amount of Guests can join to listen in as well. When riding with 5 or more riders, the Mesh Intercom will intelligently keep the group connected at a range of up to 8 km in ideal riding environments (5 miles).***

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
With a bike, you can always ride out of range...
Old 07-06-18, 11:35 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by ggoytia1
You will still get an earful. Lol
its a great idea.
this is what the new motorcycle ones are capable of 5 miles...!
Nope.
rather walk 10 miles uphill barefoot in the middle of a blizzard. (Like i did when i went to school back in the day....🤣

***No longer will you have to worry about losing half of your group due to a Bluetooth chain linked connection of the past. With private mode you can invite and communicate with up to 16 riders at a range of up to 2.0 km (1.2 miles), while an endless amount of Guests can join to listen in as well. When riding with 5 or more riders, the Mesh Intercom will intelligently keep the group connected at a range of up to 8 km in ideal riding environments (5 miles).***
OK, but the bike version is only 500 meters on a "good" day. Just saying.