Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Progress.

Old 08-26-18, 06:02 PM
Piperflyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Progress.

I started riding around June. Rented an ol’ beach cruiser and rode 8 miles on that first ride. I went back wanting to taste that adventure a little more and wound up going 12 miles, I personally was pretty impressed with this and it gave me the riding bug. After that ride I went to the bike shop and picked up my ride. A brand new Giant Anyroad Comax. When i first got it i was like dang i think I’m outta my league my butt hurts, legs are sore and I barely rode it around the block for a test ride at the dealer (after a 12 mile beach cruiser ride).

Then my goal was heck I need to hit that first 20 mile ride! Well i set out just for that and ended up doing a little extra maybe 23 or so. But boy from mile 15 to the finish it was rough i had to stop I don’t know how many times and when i completed it I was out of energy. Met my family at the park and just felt drained and a little out of it I believe that heat index for the day was 110-115 and i let it get to me.

Now this weekend i did my first group ride for 25 miles avg speed something around 15mph not too shabby and it was lots of fun. This last week i rode 60 miles total, and this upcoming week i plan on pushing that up a little more maybe 70ish range for a few rides I’m working on doing. Sept 8th i will do my first “event” i know i can make the 35 mile one, but coincidering the 55 mile one pending how this weekends 40 mile trip goes for me. Lol

anyways for those maybe that are new comers or discouraged possibly on their performance, just keep riding it does get easier and you see results fairly quick and on the other side of the spectrum i’m Down about 25 pounds.

I’m working on doing my first century is my goal so i still have some work to do to reach what i want, but i know it will happen in due time with just a little more work. I enjoy doing those exploration rides I’ll drive a few hours away just to ride in a new area to check out.
Old 08-26-18, 08:52 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10957 Post(s)
Liked 4,613 Times in 2,118 Posts
Congrats!

Old 08-27-18, 11:49 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Awesome job! That's how I became able to ride longer and longer distances, just kept pushing myself to go a little bit further the next ride. Did my first century last year, got the same event coming up again this Saturday. From my long ride yesterday to prepare for the century, I'm ready for it.
Old 08-27-18, 11:59 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Piperflyer
anyways for those maybe that are new comers or discouraged possibly on their performance, just keep riding it does get easier...
+1, absolutely, just keep at it.
Old 08-27-18, 05:26 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice progress. I’m impressed!
Old 08-28-18, 12:23 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very Nice! Your right, just keep pushing yourself and it gets easier but should never get easy.👍