Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What do you tell people that claim 'you're cheating'?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

What do you tell people that claim 'you're cheating'?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 07:14 AM
drzdave58

Bikes: Ruff custom build..Electra mulholland 3i..vanmoof S3..1947rollfast...felt happy hour..focus planet..Dahon curve d3 41 Schwinn custom..Moulton tsr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Anyone who says your cheating on an ebike I is obviously very ignorant...they are assuming because they only ride for exercise that so must be everyone else..I go to the gym everyday or ride my other regular bike when I want exercise...I ride purely for the enjoyment of riding and enjoying the outdoors...plus I prefer to run errands around town on my ebike rather than a car...some of these people can’t even get on their bikes without dressing up in a sausage suit to ride....I see them racing along the bike trails completely oblivious to their surroundings...they don’t know what their missing...and probably never will cause they can’t think outside the box...
Old 10-12-18, 09:45 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Yep, that's why I have an old 3-speed shopper bike in my fleet - totally upright riding position, slow, and utterly charming. On that I can just enjoy the world.
Old 10-12-18, 10:41 AM
drzdave58

Bikes: Ruff custom build..Electra mulholland 3i..vanmoof S3..1947rollfast...felt happy hour..focus planet..Dahon curve d3 41 Schwinn custom..Moulton tsr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Comfort

[QUOTE=MikeyMK;20612905]Yep, that's why I have an old 3-speed shopper bike in my fleet - totally upright riding position, slow, and utterly charming. On that I can just enjoy the world.[/QUOTE I’m with ya Mikey’s...here’s my comfort ride
Old 10-14-18, 12:41 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Nice. I like the idea of being able to put a foot on the ground whilst still seated, too!
But then, isn't that cheating..?
Old 10-14-18, 07:39 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
MMK, you're definitely cheating having fun according to some individuals who fail to realize that when bicycling is a recreational activity, we're just playing with toys like my kids used to at three or four years old on their plastic three-wheeled "vehicles".
Old 10-14-18, 08:04 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Depends on how it’s asked, my mood at that moment and how much time I’ve got.
ignorance is always an option.
Most of my rides are utility rides, commutes. I’ll do what works and is not particularly worried about form or style.
If I feel criticised I might say ”I don’t care what you think unless you match my mileage” which when I tell them shuts most of them up. Sometimes I have to go to ”match my age and mileage”.
If I feel motivated to actually talk about it I’ll show them the HRM logs from an e-ride compared to a regular ride. According to those, what I ”lose” from going electric is entirely proportional to the reduction of ride time. Peak heart rate etc remains the same.
And with an average Mon-Fri ride time of about 2.5 hours daily I’m not concerned with missing 20 minutes or so.
Old 10-15-18, 04:00 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Nobody has said anything to me about cheating. I'm a gray haired old man.
So am I at 78. I have nothing to prove, having done the hilly stuff years ago. Now it's time, with our etandem, to climb the same hills as I could when I was 18 in the UK!!
Old 10-15-18, 05:00 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
Been cycling all my life, got into it heavily 8 years ago. Live in the Arkansas Ozarks and there are hills everywhere. I can make it OK, but the last few years I seem to be struggling more and more on the hills. I ride as much as I can with work and other duties I have no more time and never seem to get any better. I am not after speed or ultra endurance, I just want to take on hills without it wiping me out. I am getting to the point where I avoid certain wonderful routes because of hills. I have 8 years of GPS data and the average speed is 10 mph - and dropping.

I just ordered an ebike. The shop is next to a hill that on my normal bike I either have to take in 1st gear front and back or stop midway and walk up, followed by another hill I avoid like the plague. On a test ride I climbed right up them both. With my normal bike on a 55 mile ride on Saturday I had to be picked up 4 miles form home due to stress, heat and quad cramps. So, I made the plunge.

Most of the guys are supportive, a few claim I'm 'cheating'. I look at it in that I would probably be sitting at home instead of biking around if it weren't for an ebike. I've also told them that biking 50 mile son an ebike is like biking 35 miles on a regular bike - and most of them never ride THAT far. But the persist and are now avoiding me because I'm a 'cheater'.

Do you just ignore them? What 'arguments' do you use to justify an ebike? I know I should just grow a thicker hide but it bothers me a bit. Any suggestions?
That sucks. I wouldn't have ordered from a shop that isn't supportive of the new technology or it's riders. But, you've already made your decision. If it comes up again I would approach management about it. Why would a shop employ anyone that was hostile to the products being sold in the store?

On the flip side, it is strange seeing not so fit 60-70 year olds flying up hill at 15-20 mph on a throttle or light pedaling.
Old 10-19-18, 10:17 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
On my last ride a guy that passed by was on a traditional road bike and his wife was drafting him on a motorized rockhopper-type bike. A ways back I saw some older folks getting ready or packing up for a ride-- I turned around and was about half a mile into slight rise and a fair bit of headwind when the old folks, sitting upright and seemingly pedaling effortlessly, passed me by like I was sitting still... on motorized tricycles. The trikes were big with narrow tires looked sort'a cool (very road bikeish), The dude looked like he was about 6-1/2 feet tall and not skinny at all -- could have been 250 pounds -- while his shorter wife was on his tail and flying right along despite not looking very athletic.

Last edited by McBTC; 10-19-18 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-21-18, 04:12 PM
rolandk

Bikes: 2017 Giant Quick-E, 2015 Trek Domane 4.0 Disc, 2014 Trek 7.2FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC

The latest fat tire electric bikes sport some rather massive-looking road meats... more like motorcycle tires (not that it's cheating).
I saw a guy on a bike like this a few weeks ago, he was a big grizzly bear of a fellow with packs on front and rear, it was quite a sight!
Old 10-22-18, 06:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don't think you are "cheating" for riding an ebike any more than you are "cheating" by riding a motorcycle.

If you are just using it to get around and/or have fun, what is there even to "cheat" at?

OTOH, I will admit that it would rub me the wrong way if someone who was not disabled or 90 years old showed of for a group road ride on an eBike. . And if you show up to an MTB ride with one... don't even get me started.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-22-18 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 07:04 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by McBTC
Seems like ebiking could be the basis for it's own group. You don't expect a wine tasting at a AA meeting. There may be a different mindset -- not just the ride but a lifestyle leading up to a ride -- that make it less natural and augers against bikers and ebikers riding together but, if you're talking about friends who've known each other for years using bikes as an excuse to get together to have a good time, it probably wouldn't matter if you showed up on a horse. I heard of a group that got together annually for a horseback ride and one of the riders was no longer in shape for it and struck out ahead of the group in a jeep to help organize things at the destination.
This^^^
Old 10-22-18, 09:14 AM
2old

My friend, who's considerably older than the group he rides off road trails with, uses an ebike and nobody gives a crap. Who cares since they're not racing?
Old 10-22-18, 01:07 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I wouldn't care if someone with an ebike joined a group ride I was on if they didn't cause issues. OTOH, I can see it easily getting out of hand. People I ride with are often weak-minded if someone takes off -- they will give chase. But that's true of strong riders as well. People have to know their group rides and try to fit in, no matter what kind of bike they are riding.

I was riding with someone and we passed someone noodling along on an ebike, pedaling. I mentioned the ebike to the person I was riding with, and said I expected to get passed eventually. Sure enough, 5 minutes later, the ebiker went blasting past us.
Old 10-22-18, 02:58 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I welcome people on eBikes on group rides if they are willing to ride sweep.....

....or ride ahead and make us lunch.
Old 10-22-18, 04:01 PM
2old

Probably OK; my friend doesn't mind sweeping for narrow-minded haters.
Old 10-22-18, 04:41 PM
radroad

If you've never ridden an ebike, you don't realize how much power they generate. I can ride up moderate grades at 15-20 mph with modest effort on a 65 lbs ebike. Most lower cost ebikes are equipped with a 20 mph throttle. Probably half of ebikes have a top speed of 28 mph with a limiter and most could go up to 35 mph without.

Get on a Bosch equipped ebike and you will be very puzzled by the speeds you reach considering the level of effort you put in. Riding solo on flats requires a lot of effort to keep up with an ebike on throttle, basically impossible if they have a class 3 (28 mph). Don't even think about keeping up with an ebike uphill.

Last edited by radroad; 10-23-18 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 10:03 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Yes but they're illegal modifications.

E-bikes are restricted to 20mph in the USA and 15.5mph in the EU (assisted speed). Over that and it's all muscle. Or off-road use only.
Old 10-22-18, 10:35 PM
2old

MMK, FYI, CA and states that have adopted the "Class 1,2,3 System" allow 28 mph - PAS only for ebikes in bike lanes contiguous with a roadway. Otherwise only the calorie police care who is riding what. Of interest (to me) is that, while I've encountered many eMTB's on trails in socal, all have been OEM, and unless modified 20 mph PAS only bikes.
Old 10-22-18, 11:20 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
You just need to ride on the tail end & sprint by them on the last climb.
Cross the line with your hands up, shouting
“number 1”.
When they complain , call you a cheater ,
say “ I know , but that was great fun & it still feels good” with a big “Victory grin”

If they were really good , they wouldn’t be crying they lost to a near 60 year old guy , on an E-bike. They’d be kicking your ass , spite your battery boost.
Old 10-23-18, 12:29 AM
radroad

Originally Posted by MikeyMK

E-bikes are restricted to 20mph in the USA and 15.5mph in the EU (assisted speed). Over that and it's all muscle. Or off-road use only.
Not true. 28 mph in some states.
Old 10-23-18, 01:30 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK

Originally Posted by radroad
Not true. 28 mph in some states.
28 mph
Now I’m interested,
​​​​​​​thats nears top down hill speed for me
Old 10-23-18, 08:56 AM
2old

Check the People for Bikes web site to see which states (at least CA, UT, NC and TN last time I looked) have adopted this program.
Old 10-23-18, 09:58 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by 2old
Probably OK; my friend doesn't mind sweeping for narrow-minded haters.
Or carrying our stuff ahead and making lunch will work..... we try to be flexible.
Old 10-23-18, 10:01 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Well if blind old grannies on drugs are bombing around your MUPs at 28mph I can see why there's a problem, we can only do half that with assistance.

Only manual bikes do 28mph on our MUPs...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.