Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Clipless shoes

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 06:28 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Clipless shoes

Does anyone use Five Ten clipless shoes for road or gravel riding ?

I have tendinitis on the top of my right foot. I’m wondering if this shoe would be a good idea. Thanks.
Old 10-26-18, 12:45 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You should consult your physican before takin any bike forums , side effects may include : tire pressure paranoia , weight weenyism , elitearreah , vomitting , anal bleeding , upset ego , steel is real repeatative denile syndrome , derectile dis****ion , chronic headset , energy gel addiction , suicidal thoughts or depression , break leaver depression , loss of traction , HIVIS , low battery please charge , bike path racer disorder , mup denile , hi vis addiction disorder , helmet obsession , over active ejaculation , and nipple chaffing . ,
Old 10-26-18, 05:25 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I’ve only really read reviews about them, but the reviews seem to indicate they’re comfortable. With tendinitis, that would be important. I was tempted to purchase them when I recently went to clips/flat pedals, but ended up purchasing another brand where I could try them on. My opinion (for what it’s worth) is that it wouldn’t really be much of a risk to try them.
Old 10-26-18, 12:41 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by talphie
I’ve only really read reviews about them, but the reviews seem to indicate they’re comfortable. With tendinitis, that would be important. I was tempted to purchase them when I recently went to clips/flat pedals, but ended up purchasing another brand where I could try them on. My opinion (for what it’s worth) is that it wouldn’t really be much of a risk to try them.
thanks for your thoughts

I am going to try this shoe and see how it goes
Old 10-26-18, 01:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Don't get too wedded to any particular shoe until you have tried them on. Like all the contact points with the bicycle, fit rules. A shoe that really fits your foot will be a better shoe for you than a mediocre fit and the best of all the other right features.

For me, the Lake shoes have lasts that really fit my hard to please feet. I found them by trying on shoes at Performance years ago. The cheap house brands passed the fit test better than all the fancier shoes I tried there and elsewhere. After several pairs, I learned these were made by Lake and have been using the branded shoes since. (Still not very expensive.) The 4 Performance and Lake pairs have most of my miles since 2000. The Lakes are still going strong. (Edit: the earlier Performance shoes have been my year 'round commuting shoes, have many thousands of miles and been though many cleats. Lots of rain and wet rides. Officially dead but have served me very well.) Other shoes that I have and work for me are Serfas MTB and $100 Giro shoes. I have a pair of very light Nike shoes that climb like a dream but that I will not wear two days in a row. By contrast, a 500 mile week with 30,000' of climbing with the cheap Lakes = happy feet.

I"m not pushing Lake or downplaying those nice Nikes. Just saying - your feet matter! Let then have the last say. And give them choices. This a is a place where real bike shops rule. At least for your first pair.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-26-18 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-26-18, 02:06 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
You should consult your physican before takin any bike forums , side effects may include : tire pressure paranoia , weight weenyism , elitearreah , vomitting , anal bleeding , upset ego , steel is real repeatative denile syndrome , derectile dis****ion , chronic headset , energy gel addiction , suicidal thoughts or depression , break leaver depression , loss of traction , HIVIS , low battery please charge , bike path racer disorder , mup denile , hi vis addiction disorder , helmet obsession , over active ejaculation , and nipple chaffing . ,
So my excessive "crop dusting" is congenital?
Old 10-26-18, 07:26 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Don't get too wedded to any particular shoe until you have tried them on. Like all the contact points with the bicycle, fit rules. A shoe that really fits your foot will be a better shoe for you than a mediocre fit and the best of all the other right features.

For me, the Lake shoes have lasts that really fit my hard to please feet. I found them by trying on shoes at Performance years ago. The cheap house brands passed the fit test better than all the fancier shoes I tried there and elsewhere. After several pairs, I learned these were made by Lake and have been using the branded shoes since. (Still not very expensive.) The 4 Performance and Lake pairs have most of my miles since 2000. The Lakes are still going strong. (Edit: the earlier Performance shoes have been my year 'round commuting shoes, have many thousands of miles and been though many cleats. Lots of rain and wet rides. Officially dead but have served me very well.) Other shoes that I have and work for me are Serfas MTB and $100 Giro shoes. I have a pair of very light Nike shoes that climb like a dream but that I will not wear two days in a row. By contrast, a 500 mile week with 30,000' of climbing with the cheap Lakes = happy feet.

I"m not pushing Lake or downplaying those nice Nikes. Just saying - your feet matter! Let then have the last say. And give them choices. This a is a place where real bike shops rule. At least for your first pair.

Ben
i will look into the Lake Brand. I agree. Trying them on and using them is the only way to know how my feet will react to each shoe. A lot of the hardcore shoes have the straps on top of the foot. That may not work for me. Won’t know until I try them. I was thinking a shoe that’s more like a sneaker may help with the tendinitis

thanks
Old 10-31-18, 02:58 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Does anyone use Five Ten clipless shoes for road or gravel riding? I have tendinitis on the top of my right foot. I’m wondering if this shoe would be a good idea. Thanks.
I used to use clipless, but had trouble with hotspots and numb feet while riding, that continued despite fittings, different shoes, different pedals, etc.
I switched back to flats and after a few tries found shoes and pedals that made all of that go away and my feet are almost more comfortable on the bike they are when walking.

Many companies make bike shoes, what Five Tens do better than everyone else is keeping grip on pedals with metal pins. They use a special patented kind of rubber that grips metal (and rock) much better than regular rubber.

Five Ten Freeriders I use:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-t...shoe/FT07.html

With clipless the specific pedal you use doesn't matter so much as long as it's the same system. With flats the specific pedal you use has a huge impact on comfort level. I started with some not-cheap pedals from specialized and they were ok. I used some other flats I had and I hotspot again.

I bought some Dmr Vault's to try and they are the most comfortable pedal I've ever used ($125): (I wear size 11.5 shoes larger feet like larger pedals):
https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/P...lt-2/Vault-NEW

I see them on amazon as well but they're $160 (ugh) there:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MN2ESSI/

I feel like there must be cheaper pedals out there that are just as comfortable but I didn't run across them before buying the DMR's so I stayed with these guys. They have a huge platform, a slight concave curve which I found my feet really like, and...well that's it. So that's what I recommend because they've worked so well for me if you can spend more money for more comfort.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 10-31-18 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 08:18 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Great Post Mr Paul

Thanks for your input!! Five Tens with flat pedals may be what I choose (even on the road bike)

Does anyone here do group road rides with a setup like this? I don’t plan on doing this very often but I wonder if the average person on flats can keep up with the average person with clipless?

May not matter since clipless may not work with the tendinitis anyway. I will try several combinations of shoes and pedals (maybe I will find a setup that works)
Old 11-01-18, 12:12 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Great Post Mr Paul

Thanks for your input!! Five Tens with flat pedals may be what I choose (even on the road bike)

Does anyone here do group road rides with a setup like this? I don’t plan on doing this very often but I wonder if the average person on flats can keep up with the average person with clipless?

May not matter since clipless may not work with the tendinitis anyway. I will try several combinations of shoes and pedals (maybe I will find a setup that works)

Thanks!

They've done studies on racers using clipless vs racers using flats and they're the same speed with either one. You can google for specifics.

In racing, just a few seconds can be the difference between where you place. Some people argue that clipless still has some tiny advantages that matter in racing but are hard to test in lab. Arguments are that clipless allows you to expend a little more energy while all out sprinting and sprint a little faster. Some people claim clipless is a little more efficient (I'm personally extremely dubious on this one).

If your feet experience issues that would slow you down in any way with clipless, flats will probably make you faster vs clipless.