Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rate the commercial, city bus, taxi & emergency vehicle drivers in your area.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-03, 11:27 AM
N_C
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Using a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst rate the drivers of commercial vehicle, taxi's, city buses, emergency vehicles, etc.in your area.

For Sioux City it is:

1. Police, fire & ambulance drivers are the best.
2. Semi drivers.
3. Courier drivers.
4. Courtesy vehicle, limo drivers & car service drivers
5. Other commercial vehicle drivers, such as those for the power company, hospitals, other service vehicle, setc.
6. City employees driving the city vehicles, the ones with the Sioux City logo on the door.
7. Company car drivers, these are the people who borrow a company car occasionaly but do not drive it full time.
8. Those that drive company cars full time.
9. Taxi drivers.
10. The worst by far in sioux City is the city bus drivers I lost count how many times those idiots have almost hit me while I'm riding.

Rate your area.
Old 07-07-03, 07:37 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I would put Other Commercial Vehicles at number 59. I get tired of dodging the bungie cords, paint brushes, wood, metal trim, nails, gloves, tools, etc. that ends up along the roadway. Not to mention that almost every instance of idiots yelling at me comes from a service vehicle.
Old 07-07-03, 09:22 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'd probably have the semi-drivers and emergency vehicles at the top. Bus drivers pretty low down, and taxi drivers as the absolute worst. As far as the others go, they tend to vary a lot, so I don't think I could clarify them accurately.

That is all.
Old 07-07-03, 09:56 PM
KleinMp99
New to bikeforùms.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont think I could rate all that you did, but from how police drive around here I would rate them at the bottom. Dad and I are driving home and we come to a 4 way stop. Police car is also approaching the intersection, we are about to go but the police car shoots over all 3 lines (the 2 crosswalk and the one huge white one after that). Dad flashes his lights and the cop pulls out a pop and proceeds to drink it.
"I am a cop, I am better than you, I can speed around everywhere and greatly abuse this car I am driving, I break all of my own rules"
Old 07-08-03, 04:38 AM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
taxi drivers are the scum of the earth.

Change direction without looking, half of them are asleep and they HATE cyclists.

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 07-08-03, 08:57 AM
N_C
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chris L
I'd probably have the semi-drivers and emergency vehicles at the top. Bus drivers pretty low down, and taxi drivers as the absolute worst. As far as the others go, they tend to vary a lot, so I don't think I could clarify them accurately.
Chris does your "rating" of the semi drivers include those big, massive road trains that travel from one part of Australia to the other through the outback and basically don't stop for anything?

I've heard and read that they don't slow down, stop or move out of the way for very much on the highways they travel on. And that they travel at what ever speed they think they can handle.

Are they really that dangerous or is what I've heard about them false? Or are they only a danger to the wild life, but other vehicle on the road they do move to miss hitting them?

Last edited by N_C; 07-08-03 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-09-03, 03:05 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by N_C
Chris does your "rating" of the semi drivers include those big, massive road trains that travel from one part of Australia to the other through the outback and basically don't stop for anything?
I've yet to venture into the Northern Territory or Western Australia. Nor have I seen the more remote parts of South Australia or Queensland, so I've yet to encounter one of those road trains. However, I've heard that their sheer size can make them quite a menace, simply because of the amount of wind that is generated when one passes. To be honest I can't see why loads of that size can't be sent on real trains (i.e. via rail).

That is all.