Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 06-01-18, 03:00 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Does anyone know what happened to one of our Forum members, I forget his forum ID.
Bill - lived outside of Pensacola Fl, participated a lot in 50+ and C&V.
I knew he was dealing with Parkinson's or MS or something...... but he seems to have disappeared completely.
Maybe I missed a post from him signing off the Forum.
He was one of those contributors who's always positive.

edit: saw a post: qcpmsame listed as banned.
What happened? Please PM me if it's not appropriate for all to see.
I don't visit "Pills and Ills".
Bill (qcpmsame) asked to be banned. I sent him an email the day after he was banned. He told me, "I don’t mind emails and such, just didn’t need the distraction of any forums now. No issues with anyone there."
You can send him an email if you have it or I can ask him if he'd welcome emails from the "old timers".
He's also kind of active on a cycling FB group. Can't mention it here or I'll be in trouble.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 06-01-18 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 03:57 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
OK, thanks.
Glad he's on a FB cycling group.
I don't need an email.
Old 06-01-18, 06:51 PM
juniorswv

Bikes: schwinn Gateway...schwinn corvette 3 speed..stripped to bare metal..Huffy Cranbrook...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Welcome to the old folks club. I too started when I was 54/55 y/o. I'm now 73 and try to get out 3-4 times a week.
Thank you ...enjoy reading threads....nice to share a interest in cycling....all the best for us semi old timers..
Old 06-02-18, 05:52 AM
RonH
Life is good

I received an email from Bill (qcpmsame) this morning. He'd welcome emails and FB contacts for those who want to get in touch with him. If you want his email address or FB info send me a PM.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-03-18, 04:20 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Just about to turn 70, so this thread is a good one. I get out three or 4 days a week 10-30 mile rides on a 7 year old Raleigh hybrid. I’ve been thinking of investing in a newer, lighter bike that would still work on back roads where I live but would also allow me to go greater distances on pavement. In addition to being boggled by all the choices, there’s a nagging fear that 70 year olds shouldn’t be spending serious money on bikes.
Old 06-03-18, 12:20 PM
juniorswv

Bikes: schwinn Gateway...schwinn corvette 3 speed..stripped to bare metal..Huffy Cranbrook...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome....same here ,I also get out 3 or 4 days..I think if you want a new bike you should get one...we are 70 and enjoy riding...that is not a bad thing...Raleigh are
Old 06-03-18, 02:43 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil
Just about to turn 70, so this thread is a good one. I get out three or 4 days a week 10-30 mile rides on a 7 year old Raleigh hybrid. I’ve been thinking of investing in a newer, lighter bike that would still work on back roads where I live but would also allow me to go greater distances on pavement. In addition to being boggled by all the choices, there’s a nagging fear that 70 year olds shouldn’t be spending serious money on bikes.
Some of our club members are in their mid-70s, and it’s impressive how (and what) they ride. Lots of endurance bikes offer light weight, comfort through improved dynamic shock absorption, and wider tires (32 mm) which work well on rough roads. Sorry, I’m firmly in the club that if you use it, cost should not be a guilt factor in your pursuit of a fine bicycle. There’s lots of choice out there, and you deserve a splurge.
Old 06-03-18, 08:53 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
J...

, there’s a nagging fear that 70 year olds shouldn’t be spending serious money on bikes.

That means I've got about a year before replacing my '15 model... which is good as I definitely want to see what's available in '19 before dropping ~$2K on a replacement . I'm thinking maybe CF next time and probably disk brakes so the frame accommodates at least 28s. I don't mind compact cranks but I would appreciate a lower gear on my next bike.
Old 06-04-18, 06:07 AM
Greenhil

Originally Posted by wthensler

Some of our club members are in their mid-70s, and it’s impressive how (and what) they ride. Lots of endurance bikes offer light weight, comfort through improved dynamic shock absorption, and wider tires (32 mm) which work well on rough roads. Sorry, I’m firmly in the club that if you use it, cost should not be a guilt factor in your pursuit of a fine bicycle. There’s lots of choice out there, and you deserve a splurge.
Thanks for the encouragement. This makes a lot of sense.
Old 06-07-18, 09:37 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
That means I've got about a year before replacing my '15 model... which is good as I definitely want to see what's available in '19 before dropping ~$2K on a replacement . I'm thinking maybe CF next time and probably disk brakes so the frame accommodates at least 28s. I don't mind compact cranks but I would appreciate a lower gear on my next bike.
At 72 that's why I currently have a compact double with a 12/34 cassette and disk brakes with 32's. The bike also has flat bars and a slightly more upright position that the last few that I built. I don't put in the miles that I used to but I still get around and a proper fit for old backs is really nice.
Old 06-07-18, 02:34 PM
RonH
Life is good

Its only money. Buy what feels good to you. I'm 73 and that's what I've done with the last 2 bikes I've bought (2015 and 2018).
Back roads and pavement sounds like you're wanting a cyclocross or gravel bike. You can't take your money with you so buy the bike need or want. Then ride it like you stole it.

Old 06-10-18, 06:10 PM
Greenhil

Its only money. Buy what feels good to you. I'm 73 and that's what I've done with the last 2 bikes I've bought (2015 and 2018).
Back roads and pavement sounds like you're wanting a cyclocross or gravel bike. You can't take your money with you so buy the bike need or want. Then ride it like you stole it.
Thanks for the encouragement. I did (buy the bike) and I will (ride it like I stole it).
Old 06-10-18, 09:56 PM
Suza

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crossroads Sport, 2018 Specialized Women's Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by McBTC
I recently searched for a replacement for my Specialized Crossroads. It served me well with some shorter pavement rides, but mostly trail riding (nothing too technical). My biggest complaint was the rim brakes. With riding gravel, cinder and forest roads the brake pads quickly became ineffective due to grime that accumulated. However, finding a hybrid type bike with disc brakes and upright bars, I was stymied. My LBS came to the rescue and suggested a Rockhopper. While I had been looking at the Ariel, I wasn't impressed with the components, especially the suspension. Never did a Mt bike cross my mind. But, wait a minute . . . . 2.3"/2.1" tires on pavement didn't sound appealing at all. But, I really liked the ride, even with the knobby Ground Control tread.

Finally, I decided I liked the RH and felt it was a better value for $115 more than the Ariel, it has better components (IMO). LBS suggested I ride it with the stock tires, then come back and discuss on road/off road options. I did a 20 mile ride on strictly pavement, but mostly flat and found the tires were no more hard to pedal than my Crossroads 700x45s, but they were terribly noisy. They did, however, give me a lot more confidence off-road with much more control than my hybrid.

Now what to do about longer pavement rides. We plan to participate in several paved 25-40 mi organized rides (Tour d Fronds - Powers, Oregon being one.) LBS again suggested a Gravel King 43mm. I want the ease of pedaling on pavement but also the ability to handle fitness riding on our property's rock/gravel roads. The GK seem to be just right - I rode a 25 mi paved charity ride, with some hills, a few weeks ago and they allow me to ride our rock roads, though not as well as the Ground Control. I have a biking son who says it is not hard to change tires and that I need to learn this if I'm going to be riding far. However, if I find we do more off-road riding, I just might invest in another set of wheels.
Back to the OP: I don't know if you are looking for drop or flat bars, but for less than $2,000 I have a nice gravel bike that will also handle pavement and trails. Yes, it does neither well (unless I use the bigger tires), but it makes me happy

This Saturday I am riding the Tour d Fronds for the first time. My son and DIL have done this ride for several years. One time he rode his singlespeed; another they rode tandem. The last two years they have pulled two children in a trailer. This year the older (4 yrs) is riding a tag along and the 2 year old still in the trailer. 30 miles total ride should be fun. Plan to get an early start because the weather forecast is saying 78 degrees by afternoon.

Tour d Fronds Daphne Grove

2016 Ride with toddler in the trailer and baby riding with Mom, in utero

Last edited by Suza; 06-10-18 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-11-18, 10:03 AM
RonH
Life is good

Thanks for the encouragement. I did (buy the bike) and I will (ride it like I stole it).
Awesome. What bike did you get? Got pics?

Old 06-11-18, 11:39 AM
Greenhil

Awesome. What bike did you get? Got pics?
Kona Rove NRB from my LBS (Green Mt. Bikes). It’s about 10 lbs lighter than my hybrid and has 650b tires. After having it one day and riding about 35 miles I like how better suited for pavement it feels and also how it’s more stable on dirt roads.
Old 06-14-18, 06:20 PM
Lenkearney

Bikes: Cannon dale t700 touring bike

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I m 68, recently retired, and trying to extend my rides- both speed and distance. Progress is happening but not very fast. Currently average 13-14 MPH and have upped distance to 30 miles. Guy i ride with is bigger than me - and also accelerates a lot faster than i do. Should I be working on cardio? or strength training? Can i do both at once?

Len
Old 06-16-18, 10:25 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
Len-
We have nearly identical situations and age. And riding in serious hill country IS BOTH cardio and strength training. And I have to have two days to recover from a thirty mile ride.
Old 06-21-18, 10:53 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenkearney
I m 68, recently retired, and trying to extend my rides- both speed and distance. Progress is happening but not very fast. Currently average 13-14 MPH and have upped distance to 30 miles. Guy i ride with is bigger than me - and also accelerates a lot faster than i do. Should I be working on cardio? or strength training? Can i do both at once?

Len
Both at once? Find a gear and a cadence that is comfortable for you - then shift up a gear and keep the cadence the same... Works for me.
Brent
Old 06-22-18, 05:45 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
… let some air out of the guy's tires?
Old 06-27-18, 09:09 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
Setenta y dos

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-27-18, 10:58 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
68 yo here. I ride as much as I can (hope for 150mi/wk in the spring/summer/fall), and additionally hike/backpack a bit. Yard work is my summer cross training, as I have an acre which is bounded by PNW forest. I should get to a gym 2X a week for upper body work.

The rest of my time is spent recreating.
Old 06-29-18, 04:03 PM
canerods

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.9, Fuji Roubaix 1.3, Diamondback Wildwood Trail Bike.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's nice to know, I'm not nuts! I'm glad that at 71 (getting close to 72) that my regained interested in cycling is not that unusual. Where did I read recently that someone wrote: cycling is the new golf? I don't know about that, but I tried tennis last summer and got really bored with it. So, I'm back on a bike after a very long hiatus. I'd forgotten how much fun riding is and adding in the health benefits makes it, even more, a no-brainer if you're in fairly good shape. I've only cycled for a few weeks so I'm taking it easy as I regain long forgotten and dormant skills.
Old 07-01-18, 07:16 PM
Lenkearney

Bikes: Cannon dale t700 touring bike

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
Len-
We have nearly identical situations and age. And riding in serious hill country IS BOTH cardio and strength training. And I have to have two days to recover from a thirty mile ride.
Really glad you shared that last part- I have been concerned that, after a 30+ ride, I am wiped out the next day . I have been doing a spin class to work on endurance and power- I am more willing to put it all out in a controlled environment rather than 20 miles from home... I hate to think I need to accept I am getting older.

Len
Old 07-02-18, 04:05 PM
junemg

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help! finding a bike

Just turned 69 years old yesterday and need help finding a new bike (and probably posting a thread?!) I LOVE riding & want to continue but my needs are changing

Got a Trek Verve 2 ... very heavy bike and need something much lighter to take me into my 70's since I need to lift the bike into my car or down stairs in my house.

Looking for:

Step thru bike

Carbon or VERY light material

Disc brakes

Bike I can ride on both trails and roads

I'm a fairly small woman so will need either a Small or XS -- 5' 2" 135 lbs

Have tried local bike shop but they honestly told me they don't have what I need

Any ideas or suggestions would be very appreciated
Old 07-02-18, 04:29 PM
junemg

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to this but How do I join the 65-85 group? Tried posting a new question but not sure it went through so guessing I missed a step (?)
Thanks for your patience...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.