Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Opinions on similar small USB rechargeable lights

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 07:41 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts

I'm keen to hear of any experiences folks might have with a couple of lights (or any others that are similar).

Currently I'm running a AAA powered Cateye on my road bike (https://www.rei.com/product/793804/ca...ont-bike-light) that is a nice size and I think has just enough power for a 'be seen' light, but I'd like a little more. The physical size and features (hi, lo, flash) are fine.

I was thinking that something like these would be ideal:
https://www.rei.com/product/808465/ni...ess-bike-light
https://www.rei.com/product/808632/cy...usb-bike-light

- More power than existing.
- Seem to be a similar size.
- One piece (ie no cords to separate battery)
- USB rechargeable (I don't want to have a separate charger or deal with individual rechargeable cells).
- simple mounts (similar enough to the Cateye, slip off and in pocket).
- Suitable modes.

Has anyone used or tested either?
Old 08-17-11, 09:53 PM
kanaddem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't speak for either one of these in particular, but I just picked up a Serfas TL-250 at my LBS a few days ago. I upgraded from a Cateye after a minor wreck (it could have been bad however) because I just didn't see the road hazard at night. The light is fantastic. I have it mounted on my helmet, which weighs it down a bit more than the Cateye, but the light emitted is incredible and seems to be a fairly natural white. The over drive setting is 250 lumens and will light the ground 5 feet in front of me in broad daylight and gives me 2 hours of run time. The low setting is brighter than my brightest LED light and gives me 15 hours of run time. Flash mode gets 7 hours of light.

This one uses a standard USB mini charger. I actually have mixed feelings about that. The EU has accepted the newer USB micro connector as their standard cell phone charger and my family's phones reflect that, but I also have a dozen USB mini chargers sitting around. The mini chargers seem to be ubiquitous and can be found for less than a buck any day at any given thrift store. It still would be nice to have the same charger plug for my phone and headlight on tour.

The included bike mount looks like it would cinch down like a vice, yet be quickly removable to change from bike to bike. It's on a 360 degree swivel, which means you could mount it on a fork or head tube, if you are that sort of guy/gal. Also, the quick release is good. Easy to disengage and engages with a good positive 'click'. It seems like it would stand up to quite a bit of use/abuse.

I haven't had it long enough to put it through the ringers, but my only real complaint is that the power/mode button blends right in with the rest of the light when you are feeling around for it on top of your head. Unless it's just pitch black out, you'll have no trouble finding it if it were handlebar mounted. As a side complaint, it would be nice if it would "remember" what mode I had it in last.
Old 08-17-11, 10:01 PM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I have the Cygolite ExpiliOn 250. If you're riding strictly around town(streetlights), the lights you're looking at will be fine. If you're on dark roads, you'll need something brighter depending on your speed. My 250 seems to be enough for up to 15-16, marginal but doable to 20 mph.
Old 08-18-11, 01:19 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by kanaddem
I can't speak for either one of these in particular, but I just picked up a Serfas TL-250 at my LBS a few days ago.
Thanks - I'll add that one to the list to further investigate.

Originally Posted by runner pat
I have the Cygolite ExpiliOn 250. If you're riding strictly around town(streetlights), the lights you're looking at will be fine. If you're on dark roads, you'll need something brighter depending on your speed. My 250 seems to be enough for up to 15-16, marginal but doable to 20 mph.
Not really needed to be a light for pitch black, just more than the Cateye I've got. There are usually plenty of streetlights here. Sounds OK for my needs. The Cygolite 180 model looks to be old (being phased out, old stock?), so I might be looking at this one anyway.