Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help choosing a winter jacket

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 09:11 PM
zeo_max

Bikes: FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I've never owned a cycling specific winter jacket. I've heard that they work differently, i.e. the technology they have keeps you warm even though they're super thin. This however makes it difficult for me to choose the right one for me. I've been to the LBS and employees tell me that a certain jacket will keep me super warm. Then I look at it and it barely has any fleece lining inside. This makes me wary of dropping $200 on such a jacket. I also know that if I choose one with a huge lining I could burn up inside of it (I saw a Specialized one like that).

When the temperature dips below 30, I probably won't be going out at all. Even anything below 40 would take a lot of willpower from me. I'm not a cold weather person. I'm originally from Puerto Rico, but currently live in Alabama. Make no mistake about it, I still want to ride through winter, even if not everyday.

What should I look for in a jacket to know that I'm getting the correct amount of warmth for my situation ?

Also, any tips on how to save some bucks and still get a good one ?

Thanks
Old 10-30-12, 09:34 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't really need a winter jacket for those temps - just something to keep the wind off. Layer a fleece or wool vest or long sleeve jersey under it for warmth depending on what you prefer. Personally, I like the Gore stuff but tends to be on the pricey side. Performance sometimes has one on sale. The one with zip off sleeves is nice for those cool but not quite cold temps. Got mine on sale at REI.

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...72_-1___400070
Old 10-30-12, 09:53 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like my REI Novarra Headwind jacket. It has windstop/water resist fabric in front, and just a microfiber back. It has always been warm enough, combined with a good base layer. Rarely, I will wear a light vest over it if it is really cold. Reasonably priced - I have the pants that I wear on almost every winter commute, and they have worn well.
Old 10-31-12, 12:36 AM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you live in alabama and dont plan on going out under 40 I wouldnt bother getting a winter specific jacket. Stick with long underwear or underarmor and something to block wind.

That being said look into Shower Pass products.

I have a jacket that served me well into probably the neer 0s with wind chill, winter on lake michigan...
Old 10-31-12, 01:48 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
The shop guys are right - there are some pretty flimsy looking winter jackets that are incredibly warm. I was skeptical myself until I showed up at a small ride bundled up like the Michelin man and one of the other guys (a pro at the time) had just a jacket and a thin baselayer. Since we teased him relentlessly about always bundling up, to the point of wearing long pants in 70 or 80 deg weather (our exact phrase was "it's pro to be warm"), I asked him about the jacket. He told me he's good down to stupid temps in the jacket. Eventually I bought one like it and he was right, the jacket was fine down to stupid temps (for me that's 15 deg or so, although I've ventured out in colder temps if I'm riding on trails, like -10 to 0 deg).

Jackets do three things - they block wind on the (front of the) arms and torso; they provide some insulation; they offer some ventilation in the back. Because you're riding you'll be generating some of your own heat so the insulation needs to be minimal.

To replicate a jacket's function without dropping serious coin you can use some tricks. These work down to about 35-40 deg.

1. Put a plastic bag or newspaper under the front of your outermost jersey/top. If you're getting cold you can do the same on your arms. This provides wind protection. I found plastic bags better than newspaper because the newspaper ink usually runs a bit.

2. Wear layers. A base layer and then insulating ones. Fleece is fine for insulating, whatever holds air. Remember that you'll cover everything with a "kit" outer layer like a LS jersey or SS jersey with arm warmers. Remember the wind protection that goes under that outer layer either using plastic bags or...

3. Wear a windproof jacket over everything, or a vest if it's not too cold (but with a vest you need to make sure your arms are warm enough). I hate those wind jackets because they catch so much wind, the inflate once you get going. However they work if you can't get a jacket just yet. You can even use one of those clear rain jackets, it's windproof but won't breathe.

You'll find that the jacket is not your limiter. It's your hands, feet, head, neck, and groin. Get reasonable gloves (I seem to be okay with the thinnest gloves I can find rated to 25 deg F or so, much thinner than the lobster type gloves), booties (I use Sidetraks, they're very inexpensive and last literally 10 years or more; most zipper type booties will last a couple seasons), some head and neck tube thing, and windproof (key for colder weather, for me that's about 32 deg or colder) tights.

In crazy cold temps my torso is almost always warm with a jacket, 1 long sleeve base, 1 long or short sleeve jersey. It's my legs/groin and face (my chin goes numb first, then my nose) that get cold.
Old 10-31-12, 03:57 AM
Cookiemonsta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going to follow this topic because I am also interested in what people are wearing.

My take is that I wont wear anything that does not breathe, even in winter. What I have done up till now is just wear layers, with a windstopper top layer. Specifically, I wear this as a top layer
https://www.goreapparel.com/GORE-BIKE...artype-jerseys

With some decent layers it is good enough for me up to the freezing point as long as there is no heavy rain.

EDIT: I completely agree with carpediem that once it gets really cold, the midsection of the body is not really the problem. With some layers I have always found it easy to stay warm. The things that get cold to the point of numbness and pain, and that are harder (in my opinion) to keep comfortably warm are the toes, fingers and ears and face (in that order, for me). There is another topic floating around about winter gear that you may want to check out. Generally, good gloves, shoe covers and something to cover my ears are important.

Last edited by Cookiemonsta; 10-31-12 at 04:07 AM.
Old 10-31-12, 09:54 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
The shop guys are right - there are some pretty flimsy looking winter jackets that are incredibly warm.

1. Put a plastic bag or newspaper under the front of your outermost jersey/top. If you're getting cold you can do the same on your arms. This provides wind protection. I found plastic bags better than newspaper because the newspaper ink usually runs a bit.
I know these things will work, but do you actually do them?
Old 10-31-12, 10:01 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
If you really want to save money then find away to deal with it using long underwear and a cheap windbreaker (or what ever you have) for now and buy something in spring. That type of seasonal wear usually get blown out for <50% at the end of winter. Even waiting until after Xmas will help.
Old 10-31-12, 10:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by zeo_max
I've been to the LBS and employees tell me that a certain jacket will keep me super warm. Then I look at it and it barely has any fleece lining inside. This makes me wary of dropping $200 on such a jacket.
You know Polar Fleece is mostly recycled plastic, right? It's not that expensive. It doesn't make or break the value of a jacket, and you can get a fleece to wear under a jacket for more warmth.

That's what you should be doing anyway. You don't want the warmest jacket you can find, those are for standing in line at the ski resort. Wear one while you're moving, and you'll drown in sweat. Why would you spend $200 on a jacket that you can only use in such limited conditions? Get one that isn't insulated - even a wind breaker will do with the temps you're talking about - and wear a wool sweater under it when it's very cold. Take the sweater off when it gets warmer.
Old 10-31-12, 10:40 AM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You don't want the warmest jacket you can find, those are for standing in line at the ski resort. Wear one while you're moving, and you'll drown in sweat. Why would you spend $200 on a jacket that you can only use in such limited conditions? Get one that isn't insulated - even a wind breaker will do with the temps you're talking about - and wear a wool sweater under it when it's very cold. Take the sweater off when it gets warmer.
+1

I found a wool vest on sale and grabbed it for just this purpose. I like the vest option better because the arms can get a bit tight on my jacket. I can always add arm warmers if necessary. I was snowshoeing last winter in single degree temps with just a mid-weight wool base layer and a vest. I had a shell on but it wasn't windy and I was getting too hot. On a bike you want the wind protection.
Old 10-31-12, 10:53 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
So, I've never owned a cycling specific winter jacket. I've heard that they work differently, i.e. the technology they have keeps you warm even though they're super thin. This however makes it difficult for me to choose the right one for me. I've been to the LBS and employees tell me that a certain jacket will keep me super warm. Then I look at it and it barely has any fleece lining inside. This makes me wary of dropping $200 on such a jacket. I also know that if I choose one with a huge lining I could burn up inside of it (I saw a Specialized one like that).

When the temperature dips below 30, I probably won't be going out at all. Even anything below 40 would take a lot of willpower from me. I'm not a cold weather person.
The first thing to know is that more material can make you colder, so don't make the mistake of thinking that just because the jacket is light that it won't be warm. The jacket I wear cycling is awesome for any temp you'd encounter even though it looks/feels like a wind breaker to most people. I wear mine below freezing, in rain in the 30's, or if it's dry in the 50's for that matter. You'll notice that you can get it for a killer price right now.

If you only ride when it's dry, a windbreaker will do just fine. If you ride when it's wet, you'll want something that is very lightweight, waterproof, and breathable such as Gore-Tex Active Shell -- though there are alternatives such as eVent. Even skiers who are out in temps well below freezing typically wear only a shell with a wicking technical layer. Most cyclists wear WAY too much. If you make this mistake, you'll sweat too much at best. But you're also likely to feel cold.

Another thing to know is people look for too many features in jackets that cost more -- for example, pockets reduce breathability. A good cycling jacket is just light and plain.

DISCLAIMER: I am a product tester for Gore-Tex, and I receive consideration for evaluating their products and sharing my views. However, even though I already have a ton of their gear, I actually bought the jacket I recommended on the open market. The only caveat I'd mention with that jacket is that if you wear club fit jerseys, you'll probably find the jacket too tight as it is race cut.
Old 10-31-12, 11:10 AM
pihb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Texas and own a couple Gore Bike Wear Jackets. One is thicker and the other is lighter with removeable sleeves. Both are very sleek and comfortable. Now these are great for being wind resistent and a light sprinkle of water resistent. I will vouce for them. Probably would not wear them in a blizzard or in a rain storm. Great bright colors and light weight.
Old 10-31-12, 11:21 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
I got a nice, bright yellow jacket from Land's End for $50 last winter and it worked great. Reasonably form fitting, uber warm, and comfortable when riding. Not suitable for a pro, but plenty adequate for a recreational rider and a whole lot less money than cycling specific jackets tend to be.

Personally, I think these fine folks who scoff at winter jackets must have different blood in their veins than I do. Living in the Florida Panhandle, I'm in a light jacket at anything under 75 and a winter coat in the 50s. I loathe being cold and get cold very easily. When we have our A/C set at 83 in the summer I'll often get chilly and need to turn it up to 85. I'm guessing you may be a lot like me, in which case yes, you need a winter jacket
Old 10-31-12, 11:30 AM
laserfj
Reasonably Slow...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
The first thing to know is that more material can make you colder, so don't make the mistake of thinking that just because the jacket is light that it won't be warm. The jacket I wear cycling is awesome for any temp you'd encounter even though it looks/feels like a wind breaker to most people. I wear mine below freezing, in rain in the 30's, or if it's dry in the 50's for that matter. You'll notice that you can get it for a killer price right now.

If you only ride when it's dry, a windbreaker will do just fine. If you ride when it's wet, you'll want something that is very lightweight, waterproof, and breathable such as Gore-Tex Active Shell -- though there are alternatives such as eVent. Even skiers who are out in temps well below freezing typically wear only a shell with a wicking technical layer. Most cyclists wear WAY too much. If you make this mistake, you'll sweat too much at best. But you're also likely to feel cold.

Another thing to know is people look for too many features in jackets that cost more -- for example, pockets reduce breathability. A good cycling jacket is just light and plain.

DISCLAIMER: I am a product tester for Gore-Tex, and I receive consideration for evaluating their products and sharing my views. However, even though I already have a ton of their gear, I actually bought the jacket I recommended on the open market. The only caveat I'd mention with that jacket is that if you wear club fit jerseys, you'll probably find the jacket too tight as it is race cut.
Noticed that one doesn't have any pockets. Can you get to your jersey pockets underneath that?
Old 10-31-12, 11:47 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by laserfj
Noticed that one doesn't have any pockets. Can you get to your jersey pockets underneath that?
It's form fitting so access is adequate but not great. Pulling out an energy bar is not a big deal. If you keep lots of junk in your pockets -- i.e. extra layer, arm warmers, leg warmers, pump, etc, you'll feel a bit pinched. Having said that, it's a fantastic jacket for cold fast descents. It's windproof, aero, and it breathes well.

Despite being a product tester and owning I don't even know how many jackets, I've historically recommended against waterproof shells when cycling because they're just too heavy, even PacLite. But Active Shell is good stuff and this is the first commercially available waterproof cycling jacket I've recommended.

I should also stress that this is strictly a cycling jacket. It's cut so to be aerodynamic and while there is plenty of range of motion to stand on climbs and whatnot, you'd feel like your arms were bound if you tried to use it for skiing, kayaking, or even running.
Old 10-31-12, 11:49 AM
pihb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look up the Gore Phantom jacket, it has removeable sleeves and pokcets in the back. I got mine for 1/2 off about a month ago
Old 10-31-12, 12:15 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by pihb
Look up the Gore Phantom jacket, it has removeable sleeves and pokcets in the back. I got mine for 1/2 off about a month ago
This one is popular, but I'm not crazy about it and don't consider it as versatile even though the sleeves are removable. Although the Phantom is water resistant, it is not waterproof which may or may not be an issue to some people. Also, the Phantom is a lot heavier, too heavy IMO.
Old 10-31-12, 12:18 PM
laserfj
Reasonably Slow...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
It's form fitting so access is adequate but not great. Pulling out an energy bar is not a big deal. If you keep lots of junk in your pockets -- i.e. extra layer, arm warmers, leg warmers, pump, etc, you'll feel a bit pinched. Having said that, it's a fantastic jacket for cold fast descents. It's windproof, aero, and it breathes well.

Despite being a product tester and owning I don't even know how many jackets, I've historically recommended against waterproof shells when cycling because they're just too heavy, even PacLite. But Active Shell is good stuff and this is the first commercially available waterproof cycling jacket I've recommended.

I should also stress that this is strictly a cycling jacket. It's cut so to be aerodynamic and while there is plenty of range of motion to stand on climbs and whatnot, you'd feel like your arms were bound if you tried to use it for skiing, kayaking, or even running.
Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to decide between that jacket you linked and a similar one--
https://www.goreapparel.com/GORE-BIKE...XYT_color=3599
https://www.goreapparel.com/GORE-BIKE...XYU_color=0199

It seems the windstopper jacket has the benefit of pockets, but the drawback of not being waterproof. Have you tested any of the windstopper fabric, and if so, is there any difference in breathability between that and the goretex?

I don't plan on riding in the rain, but definitely want something breathable.

Any other differences between those two you think are work considering?
Old 10-31-12, 12:51 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to decide between that jacket you linked and a similar one--
https://www.goreapparel.com/GORE-BIKE...XYT_color=3599
https://www.goreapparel.com/GORE-BIKE...XYU_color=0199

It seems the windstopper jacket has the benefit of pockets, but the drawback of not being waterproof. Have you tested any of the windstopper fabric, and if so, is there any difference in breathability between that and the goretex?

I don't plan on riding in the rain, but definitely want something breathable.

Any other differences between those two you think are work considering?
In all honesty, I don't care for the Windstopper jackets even though I know plenty of people who swear by them. I find it comfortable for lower intensity activities in moderately cool temps but it's too heavy once you crank up the effort and it's not comfortable in as wide a range of temps. I own Windstopper gloves, tights, and a jacket (and I've worn Windstopper stuff I don't own).

The one thing that jumped out at me is that the jacket you're looking mentions "Engineered with GORE-TEX® Active." Maybe their marketing guys are screwing around with the terminology, but I don't know for certain that it's the same as Active Shell. It probably is (the price is right for that and so is the description of the technology), but the previous version of that jacket came with PacLite which I do not recommend. This appears to be a new model, but the Active Shell is the good stuff and I'd want to verify this is the same thing.

If you're getting this at the shop, the tags attached to the jacket should make it clear. But to answer your question directly, even if you don't intend to ride in the rain at all, I'd strongly prefer an Active Shell jacket to Windstopper. It's more comfortable in warmer as well as cooler temps. It packs way lighter (i.e. if this is the right jacket, it should easily stuff in a jersey pocket like a windbreaker)
Old 10-31-12, 01:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by jon c.
Personally, I think these fine folks who scoff at winter jackets must have different blood in their veins than I do. Living in the Florida Panhandle, I'm in a light jacket at anything under 75 and a winter coat in the 50s. I loathe being cold and get cold very easily. When we have our A/C set at 83 in the summer I'll often get chilly and need to turn it up to 85. I'm guessing you may be a lot like me, in which case yes, you need a winter jacket
Today it's 57 F and rainy. I have a short-sleeved wool tee-shirt on. In the mid 70s, when you wear a light jacket, I go swimming in Lake Washington.
Old 10-31-12, 01:22 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,975 Times in 1,828 Posts
I know everyone is different, but I need something that's got some sort of lining in it unless I'm wearing long sleeves underneath. My rain coat is waterproof and wind proof and I've used that on top of several layers in cold weather before and it worked fine, but the sleeves aren't lined and if I wear short sleeves underneath it sticks to my arms and the sleeves become nasty bags of sweat. Even some mesh liner to get the plastic off of the skin makes a world of difference. Just something to consider if you go the windbreaker/layers route.

Old 10-31-12, 01:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Himespau, I tend to have the same problem. I'll wear a goretex jacket directly over a thin, long-sleeve wool tee shirt sometimes. If I work up a sweat, I start to feel clammy. It's a nasty feeling. And you're right, some kind of liner will fix it; your base layer wicks sweat away, but your rain coat won't absorb it, and only "breathes" it out slowly, so the sweat just hangs around, making your sleeves into "nasty bags of wet."

But the lining doesn't have to be part of the coat, or permanently attached. If it is, then you've got a cold weather jacket that isn't very useful in a cool rain. If it isn't, if they're two independent layers, then you get a lot more use out of your stuff, and more bang for your bucks.
Old 10-31-12, 02:10 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,975 Times in 1,828 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Himespau, I tend to have the same problem. I'll wear a goretex jacket directly over a thin, long-sleeve wool tee shirt sometimes. If I work up a sweat, I start to feel clammy. It's a nasty feeling. And you're right, some kind of liner will fix it; your base layer wicks sweat away, but your rain coat won't absorb it, and only "breathes" it out slowly, so the sweat just hangs around, making your sleeves into "nasty bags of wet."

But the lining doesn't have to be part of the coat, or permanently attached. If it is, then you've got a cold weather jacket that isn't very useful in a cool rain. If it isn't, if they're two independent layers, then you get a lot more use out of your stuff, and more bang for your bucks.
My problem is those cool rains. Wearing another layer in between my base layer (if it's just a cool rain that's a very thin under armor type layer, something a bit thicker as it gets colder) makes me too hot and I start sweating. Something like removable mesh liner sleeves that don't add insulation, but give additional surface area for perspiration to go to before the outer layer is able to breathe it off would be nice. As it is, cool rains for me are worse than cold ones. Moderate and warmer rains I just get wet, and cold rains I can throw another layer like a long sleeve jersey in between, but those rains too cold for no protection but too warm for much leave me stumped. When commuting, I've tried rain capes, but those don't fit me well (I'm too tall/have too long of arms) and while the aero penalty is acceptable for the ride home when I have no other choice it's not something I want to put up with in gusty winds on a long ride.

Old 10-31-12, 02:27 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

When the temperature dips below 30, I probably won't be going out at all. Even anything below 40 would take a lot of willpower from me. I'm not a cold weather person. I'm originally from Puerto Rico, but currently live in Alabama. Make no mistake about it, I still want to ride through winter, even if not everyday.

What should I look for in a jacket to know that I'm getting the correct amount of warmth for my situation ?

Also, any tips on how to save some bucks and still get a good one ?

Thanks
The Mavic Cyclone jacket has served me very well. I can wear it between 35-55 degrees, and it's snug so nothing gets flapping around. The construction is high end and well ventilated. You can find good deals on the web for around $100. For me, this jacket is way more versatile than some of the Castelli (both shell and insulated), Gore (Phantom included), and Assos (insulated) jackets I owned over the years.
Old 10-31-12, 02:28 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
The Mavic Cyclone jacket has served me very well. I can wear it between 35-55 degrees, and it's snug so nothing gets flapping around. The construction is high end and well ventilated. You can find good deals on the web for around $100. For me, this jacket is way more versatile than some of the Castelli (both shell and insulated), Gore (Phantom included), and Assos (insulated) jackets I owned over the years.
Oh, BTW, this jacket is not waterproof, but windproof and water-resistant (but I wouldn't consider wearing it if it's raining and you have to be out more than 10 minutes).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.