Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I Blame the State DMV's...

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 10-18-19, 03:06 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts

... for giving licenses to gasholes.... Today's dumb basses included a truck driver, in the morning, that blew through the MUP crossing light then wanted to curse at my sounding the airzound at him.... Hopefully he retains the soil (inside/out) that could have been avoided by concious driving

This afternoon parade was highlighted by a charter school mom who "passed" within such a short distance to the stop/intersection, that she stopped in the wrong lane with 40+mph traffic making regular turns there....
Bad witch got lucky no one of the many vehicles needed to turn this time.... May the gawds that aren't grant her children the sense NOT to learn from their parents' inhumanity....

Pity the DMV will never apply a psych test to would be vehicle operators and deny licences to aggressive bad brained bone heads....
Old 10-18-19, 03:43 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
AirZound FTW!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-18-19, 07:42 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Last time I had to renew my driver's license, I didn't even have to take the test. Every time I've had to take it, it was open book. Take that for what it's worth.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-18-19, 08:54 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
No one but another tedious ranter cares who a ranter "blames" for anything.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-18-19, 08:58 PM
ab_antiquo
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
I blame the teachers. Specifically your English teachers.

Apostrophe abuse is a national calamity.

Likes For ab_antiquo:
Old 10-19-19, 06:04 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
No one but another tedious ranter cares who a ranter "blames" for anything.
Ever just need to get it off your chest in a forum of supportive friendlies...? Namaste....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 10-19-19, 06:09 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Is there a "no ranting" clause buried deep in the forum rules, or the "I Accept" adhesion contract we all agreed to as forum members? I don't recall seeing one.
Old 10-19-19, 06:30 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Greengrocer punctuation. One can easily imagine another rant on that subject.

How 'bout a rant on Airzound users? It's my opinion that cyclists that use this device are likely to be aggressive enough to attract the situations that they rant about.
Old 10-19-19, 06:38 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

It look's like I learned a new word today. Thank's!

The Greengrocer's Apostrophe
Old 10-19-19, 07:40 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by moe zhoost
...airzound users? It's my opinion that cyclists that use this device are likely to be aggressive enough to attract the situations that they rant about.
...must...not...respond...c-'can't restrain myself much l-l-longer...
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-19-19, 08:30 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
There are actual style guides that still recommend apostrophe-s for plurals of acronyms when the letters are not pronounced as a word.

So there are fricken lasers and obsolete CRT’s.

Other style guides reserve the plural apostrophe-s for single lowercase spoken letters or single digit numbers.

So they got all 6’s and 7’s crossing their i’s and dotting their t’s

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-19-19 at 08:34 AM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 10-19-19, 08:31 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
............ Pity the DMV will never apply a psych test to would be vehicle operators and deny licences to aggressive bad brained bone heads....
BREAKING NEWS !!!! A vehicle can be started and driven WITHOUT possessing a driver's license.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 10-19-19, 08:42 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

"The only difference between a weed and a flower, is a judgement." Anon.

And, yes, I include myself.... So, outside the parliamentery procedures responses (and responses to responses), the threads in the threads of the judgements (both in car and on the bike and forums) are a confusing (or merely confounding) opinion of the colonizer paradigm (remembering that peds and cars were already established) that the invaded/colonized should be held to a higher standard of morality, law and pacifism. Despite the catastrophic potential of one form of "transportation" over the other. That catastrophic form also pollutes heavily from creation to end of use. It causes so much devastation. But the colonized are supposed to accept this....

No one is above anyone else. To choose actions in disregard of others, and earth, drives us all to ruin....

(As a related aside: Why do motorized operators "drive" their vehicles, while bicycle operators "ride"? Quite the opposite, since the ICE actually takes them for a ride while we provide the drive to our drive trains! Curiouser and curiouser, Alice....)
Old 10-19-19, 08:49 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

"The Wildwood Flower grew wild on the farm, and we never knowed what it was called." -Stafford, J.

But I digress. Addressing my main point:

No one is above anyone else.
You are not the boss of me.
Old 10-19-19, 08:50 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
It should be easy to see
The crux of the biscuit
Is the Apostrophe(')
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 10-19-19, 09:44 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
It should be easy to see
The crux of the biscuit
Is the Apostrophe(')
Ok, going from a rant about car drivers to Frank Zappa. Didja see how that transition happened?

Well done, FBOATSB. You are awarded the Order of the Legion of Mud Shark, 1st Class.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 10-19-19, 11:24 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
OK then! I passed my first and only driver's test in 1972. It was pretty easy. However, I had to pass a full blown psych evaluation in 2009 that included an online video interview with some anonymous shrink somewhere, for a job I really needed at that time. I was sweating bullets for a few days. I don't recall any questions about musical taste though.
Old 10-19-19, 11:42 AM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
You are going to cause yourself health problems with all that rage. People are terrible as drivers, cyclist and pedestrians. Don't assume that they are singling you out. They are more likely just jerks.

Some good advice from the Roman philosopher, Seneca.

Old 10-19-19, 12:07 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
There are actual style guides that still recommend apostrophe-s for plurals of acronyms when the letters are not pronounced as a word.

Other style guides reserve the plural apostrophe-s for single lowercase spoken letters or single digit numbers.

-mr. bill
But not 67's and it's as in many of "it"? I rebel against misuse of apostrophes but, as with inconsiderate drivers, I don't let it annoy me.

BTW, is this "normalization" of transposing hyphens and apostrophes? We're not getting political here are we?
Old 10-19-19, 12:25 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
The only real trouble I've had with other vehicles on the road whilst I was riding a bicycle was with other BICYCLISTS. I Hamilton Ontario (Canada) I crashed into a bicycle that came zooming out of a one way street (the bicyclist was riding the wrong direction) onto a bust main street King Street. What made it so bad and unavoidable was that the street the wrong direction riding bicyclist came out od had a blind corner and he was not visible to traffic. The other instance was a crash at night when a bicyclist in dark clothing on a dark colour bicycle was riding on a sidewalk that was in a poorly lit area and he decided to suddenly cross the road but did so without looking and from under a large tree in full leaf that rendered him invisible.

There are idiot bicyclists just as there are idiot E-bike riders just like there are idiot automobile drivers.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-19-19, 12:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 4,486 Times in 3,336 Posts
I don't think it is the DMV to blame. It is hard to truly judge a person from a short written exam and a few minutes in an in-car exam.

They could do better, for example having certain criteria for automatic retesting including a certain number of traffic citations, or age. Perhaps even give licenses at 16 and retest at 20, and also retest every 5 years after age 70.

And the retest should be 10x as hard as the initial test.

I had an annoying incident a couple of days ago.

T-interchange that I had to cross from the top of the T.

100% of the traffic turns, and the turning traffic and crosswalk are given a signal at the same time.

Anyway, I started crossing when given a crosswalk signal.

Car coming constant speed. I yelled, and the car slowed enough to not hit me.

Ok, mistakes happen, and nobody was hit.

The second vehicle had stopped, and didn't enter the interchange until I had cleared the road (which is what the first one legally should have done).

About 3 more cars back, the driver yelled at me for crossing on a RED???

It wasn't the car that just about hit me that bothered me... mistakes happen. Rather the driver that thought it was his place to announce that a person in a crosswalk with a "walk" crossing light would be to blame if they got hit.

Mistakes happen, and hopefully can be recovered from without serious injury. Many ways to minimize accidents, but...

The HOTHEADS (cyclists and drivers) are part of the problem. And, that isn't as much of a DMV problem, as perhaps an issue with the individuals, or their upbringing (very hard to legislate).

But, another issue is just basic infrastructure design.

One should never give a green turn only light at the same time that a button activated crosswalk signal is on.

Some areas have improved the issue by adding a delay... just about enough time for a pedestrian to get into the middle of the lane before the cars are given a green.

Another option would be to NOT give a green. But, rather activate a flashing yellow for the entire duration of the crosswalk signal (in this case in a dedicated turn lane).

One of the problems with a flashing yellow, of course, is that it is hard to differentiate from a solid yellow, but perhaps end a flashing yellow with a yellow/red flash, or yellow/red solid.
Old 10-19-19, 03:45 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I'm curious. Which ones?
Old 10-19-19, 03:58 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SactoDoug
...Some good advice from the Roman philosopher, Seneca...
Interesting video. Thanks, for posting it.
Old 10-19-19, 06:47 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts

-mr. bill
If I had written the post, it would be

apostrophes
CRTs
6s and 7s

crossing their Is and Ts

There are two thoughts to language and usage: 1) scholars of the language dictate its proper usage. That's why there are the official dialects, local dialects and proper spelling; 2) language and culture and their evolution are the products of the people on the street using them.

When I was going to school during the '70s and '80s, we were taught to use the Oxford Dictionary because it was the dictionary of the English Language. Webster is American. As the internet culture grew, Oxford started adding words what were commonly used by the texting communities.

In another thread, I commented to the OP that he had written "are a" in one sentence and in the second sentence "is a" to reference the same thing in the same paragraph. I wasn't kindly received but he did edit his posting afterwards.

Examples: The Beatles are a rock band. The Beatles is a rock band. The RCMP are a police force. The RCMP is a police force. Canada are a country. Canada is a country.

Here's a couple of news reports:

"...the RCMP are..."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcm...aign-1.5305905

"The RCMP is..."
https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/the-...ional-culture/

Last edited by Daniel4; 10-19-19 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-19-19, 06:57 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I don't think it is the DMV to blame. It is hard to truly judge a person from a short written exam and a few minutes in an in-car exam.

They could do better, for example having certain criteria for automatic retesting including a certain number of traffic citations, or age. Perhaps even give licenses at 16 and retest at 20, and also retest every 5 years after age 70.

And the retest should be 10x as hard as the initial test.....
As much as I agree with you on this, you realize it would be a highly charged political issue. Any administration implementing this would be quickly removed after the next election by politicians campaigning against such measures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.