Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire Delamination

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire Delamination

Old 10-22-19, 09:01 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Tire Delamination

When I removed this tire from the rim while replacing a spoke, I noticed that there was a spot where the outer tread was separating from the casing. These tires are still in great condition, and I really like them (fortunately, I have a second set that I swapped onto the rims). But I need to fix this delamination. I doubt I can get any help from the Challenge Tire people (although, I'll try), so I think my best bet is to repair the separation. Do any of you have any suggestions for adhesives that will work well? I will keep using this tire until it gives out. I have nearby Home Depot, Harbor Freight, and other industrial supply places. Any ideas?

Old 10-22-19, 09:12 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
That tire is done for. No adhesive that I'm aware of can fix that and is probably a defect which could mean it will continue to come apart. Let us know if you have any luck with Challenge.
Old 10-22-19, 09:32 AM
ddeand 

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
That tire is done for. No adhesive that I'm aware of can fix that and is probably a defect which could mean it will continue to come apart. Let us know if you have any luck with Challenge.
I guess that was my initial reaction, too. I sent off a message to Challenge, so we'll see if I hear from them.
Old 10-22-19, 09:53 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I've never heard of repairing of de-laminated tire, How old is it?
Old 10-22-19, 10:01 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
... the outer tread was separating from the casing. These tires are still in great condition...
Thanks for that =)

BTW that tire was defective from new.
Old 10-22-19, 10:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Tread cap delamination isn't super rare, luckily not too common either. I've seen more with sew ups (decades ago) and flat resistant belted tires (much more current) more then with others. The hand lay up of those sew ups and the belt material (Kevlar frequently) not liking to bond to other materials seem to drive the delamination many times.

I totally agree that this tire should not be trusted, except as a wall hanger/display. It will be interesting how Challenge address this. I don't expect much. Andy
Old 10-22-19, 10:32 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
You can proably get a nice trash can at Home Depot. That's where this tire belongs, 😡

Not delamination, but I had a Continental Gatorskin that developed a series of bubbles on the tire tread contact area all around the tire. It made a "squishy" sound as I rode it, then, feeling the fire circumference, I could feel the bubbles. Probably a sign of pre-delamination, if that's a word. Trash can for it too. Not worth messing with.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 10-22-19 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-22-19, 10:56 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 376 Posts
I've had two Vittoria Rubino Pros do that. But, it was after they were almost completely worn out.
Old 10-22-19, 11:08 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
I bet that contractor's contact cement would cure that. (The stuff for gluing down countertops. The stuff you don't want to breath. I'd mount the tire, inflate it to full pressure, then follow the glue instructions to the "T". If it doesn't work, you still have the rest of the glue can for tire boots in the future. (With dacron sailcloth - real sailcloth from a sailmaker, not "sailcloth" from Joanne's Fabrics - and that glue, the boots outlast the tires. Ask nicely and they might give you a scrap. A square foot will do many tires.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-22-19, 12:11 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If the vulcanized bond didn't hold it is quite unlikely that any adhesive will hold either. Toss it.
Old 10-22-19, 12:19 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
If the vulcanized bond didn't hold it is quite unlikely that any adhesive will hold either. Toss it.
+1
Tire tread and sidewall rubber is blended with wax that continuously seeps to the surface to reduce oxidation. Thus the tire's components must be cured together with heat and pressure, and glue rarely sticks well.
Old 10-22-19, 02:00 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Add another vote to "It's already worn out."

The counter top contact cement idea is intriguing, but I suspect the continual flexing will crack the adhesive rather quickly and you'll be right back where you started. Except a few miles from home and missing a tire...
Old 10-29-19, 09:05 AM
ddeand 

Brief update - I got a response from the Home Office. Makes sense. I’ll try to do the local thing and then glue it myself if I need to.

Dear Dean,

I'm Gianluca from Challenge tires.
Please note all the warranty replacement request need to pass through the vendor who will take care of your request valuing the situation.

For small delamination could be possible to use glue, but for bigger ones, re-gluing is not recommended.

Regards

Gianluca Modesti
Old 10-29-19, 09:17 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 376 Posts
Wow, with the litigious world we live in, I'm surprised you received an answer like that.
Old 10-29-19, 11:13 AM
ddeand 

So . . . I learned some interesting stuff this morning about these tires. First, the Challenge company has been bought by Donnelly (who also bought Clement a couple years ago), and they are not honoring the Challenge warrantee. But I talked with a shop manager who said that these tires were designed to be retreaded - that there is actually a machine that heats and strips the outer tread off the casing so a new one can be applied. I guess that’s what they mean when they describe these tires as hand-made. If you look at my original photo, you can see that the outer tread is laminated (not vulcanized) to the casing. According to the shop guy, I can get the appropriate adhesive at Hobby Lobby. I’ll probably try to do a repair and use this tire as a backup - nothing to lose, really. Interesting, though.
Old 10-29-19, 11:19 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I've never heard of retreading a bike tire before. Given the history of automotive (and truck) retreaded tires I would be hesitant to do so. Given the cost to send the tire back to the factory I really doubt that I would do it anyway. Andy
Old 10-29-19, 12:22 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I've never heard of retreading a bike tire before. Given the history of automotive (and truck) retreaded tires I would be hesitant to do so. Given the cost to send the tire back to the factory I really doubt that I would do it anyway. Andy
I can just imagine what would happen if a retreaded bicycle tire lost most of it's tread on a fast descent especially if it were the front tire. It'd most likely be as bad as rolling a tubular tire.

Cheers
Old 10-29-19, 03:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

I do wonder if the retreading reference was a lost in translation thing. Hand laid up tread caps is as old as pneumatic tires are (actually far older is iron banded wagon wheels count ) Having a machine to aid/do this is no big jump. But removal of old tread caps is just beyond my belief, at least for bike tires. The reasons to do it in the dual track vehicles (cars) is one of cost. Back in the day retreaded car tires were about half the cost of new (IIRC). There was an entire industry devoted to this included the local tire shop to facilitate the transportation and distribution. That doesn't really exist in our bike business. I just can't see the LBS being willing to loose their largest seller, rubber, to save their customer what likely would amount to a few dollars and take time. But as the bike retail world is going to non brick and mortar maybe this will be the future... Andy
Old 10-29-19, 04:00 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I do wonder if the retreading reference was a lost in translation thing. Hand laid up tread caps is as old as pneumatic tires are (actually far older is iron banded wagon wheels count ) Having a machine to aid/do this is no big jump. But removal of old tread caps is just beyond my belief, at least for bike tires. The reasons to do it in the dual track vehicles (cars) is one of cost. Back in the day retreaded car tires were about half the cost of new (IIRC). There was an entire industry devoted to this included the local tire shop to facilitate the transportation and distribution. That doesn't really exist in our bike business. I just can't see the LBS being willing to loose their largest seller, rubber, to save their customer what likely would amount to a few dollars and take time. But as the bike retail world is going to non brick and mortar maybe this will be the future... Andy
Probably cost as much if not more for a shop to remove the old tread and put on a new one.

Cheers
Old 10-29-19, 04:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,447 Times in 1,428 Posts
If you do repair the tire, use it only on the rear so you're not injured if it fails.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-29-19, 04:47 PM
ddeand 

Thanks for all the comments, guys. Just to clarify a few things: First, IF I decide to repair the tire, I'll go back to the shop and get more info from the guy who described the retread process (I does sound a little odd). I really don't have much to lose if I screw it up. Second, I have another set of these tires, so I essentially still have a good set and a spare (not counting the delam). Third, if I do the repair, it will become my "last ditch" option if I ever get to the point where I need a spare. And finally,as noglider mentioned, the tire would go on the rear rim - that just makes sense. The irony is that I would still be riding this tire if I hadn't busted the top of a nipple off on one of the front spokes. I found the delam when I replaced the nipple.
Old 10-29-19, 05:34 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by ddeand
Thanks for all the comments, guys. Just to clarify a few things: First, IF I decide to repair the tire, I'll go back to the shop and get more info from the guy who described the retread process (I does sound a little odd). I really don't have much to lose if I screw it up. Second, I have another set of these tires, so I essentially still have a good set and a spare (not counting the delam). Third, if I do the repair, it will become my "last ditch" option if I ever get to the point where I need a spare. And finally,as noglider mentioned, the tire would go on the rear rim - that just makes sense. The irony is that I would still be riding this tire if I hadn't busted the top of a nipple off on one of the front spokes. I found the delam when I replaced the nipple.
Had you not found the delaminating and had kept riding the tire might have failed catastrophically at the worst possible moment such as sprinting through a gap in traffic.
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-30-19, 10:06 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Unless you're packing those "spares" with you, it's probably just as simple to buy new when you wear through what you have now.
Old 10-30-19, 11:06 AM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
The only time I would try to use that tire after gluing it back together would be on the trainer. Either on the front(most likely not to fail) or rear wheel(probably would fail with the heat).

I don't see any reward remotely good enough for the risk involved in using a compromised tire.

Tires, cassettes, chains, and bearings are wear items.
Old 10-30-19, 11:02 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Seems like a ripe opportunity to rationalize a Continental GP4000 purchase: $33 at Merlin
Likes For ctak: