Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to ride a bike with ZERO pain and discomfort around the butt region?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is it possible to ride a bike with ZERO pain and discomfort around the butt region?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 08:04 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I have been buying my saddles from Performance Bike and Nashbar (and when they were Bike Warehouse). I usually will buy 2 interesting saddles to test out. But, I usually ride 2 weeks 4-5 days a week, just to break-in my butt, even with a current saddle, after not riding all winter.

Then, when I find one that works, I send back the unfavorable saddle and order 2 more of the saddle I liked, 1 for each bike. As we know, saddle designs change over time.

This of course, assumes the bike is properly fit.
Old 01-11-17, 08:05 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
The design concept is obviously the same with the Rivet as the SA. I like the "sling" idea and the fact that these never ridge. But are you saying that the Rivets are built sturdier than the SA? Selle Anatomica does say in their literature that it's for riders "up to 250 lbs" if I'm not mistaken so that does leave room for bigger guys breaking rails now and then. I'm only about 190 lbs.

I have SA saddles on three of my bikes and they have stopped stretching except for the one I bought at the end of last year.
The Rivet is built more rigid than SA and with "built-in-lacing" connecting the leather beneath the saddle like a Swallow.

The SA is instantly invisible - the Rivet isn't. It takes time to form sit-bone flats. Debra does a loaner thing where you essentially rent a new saddle for 2 months, apply to purchase price or mail it back to her. My daughter could not get one past break-in on her road bike and I sent it back. My daughter finally settled on a Fabric Shallow for her road bike, which has a flexible nylon pan and thin firm padding (and the wrong-shape saddle for our OP).

I ride through saddles, and the SA just didn't last for me. I have many e-friends on google groups who log lots of miles on them, would fight to keep them, and if they last for you, fantastic.

I still say with the 30-day money-back comfort guarantee and current sale price, for our OP to try Selle Anatomica is kind of a no-brainer.

Oh, and I haven't yet ridden through a Select - they last for me, as well as the Rivet.
ps- 6'3", 210 lbs

Last edited by bulldog1935; 01-11-17 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 08:17 AM
MikeinFL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wow there are lots of ergo saddle designs out there. This one looks promising- anyone try the Carbon Comfort saddle? they have 30 day return

RideOutTech.com
Old 01-11-17, 10:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You are asking other people 'If you had My Pelvis , would this saddle be comfortable?'
Old 01-11-17, 10:53 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
As far as butt support, riding a bicycle seems different from every other sort of sitting that one may do. Not only does the saddle need to provide some weight support, but it must allow for free leg movement and exercise of the butt muscles, thigh muscles, hip joints, and all that other stuff around the pelvis -- ligaments and such. I think it must provide the ability to position and re-position with repeatability and stability and it should provide support primarily to the bones on the bottom of the pelvis, the ischial tuberosity, or "sit bones."

Looking at traditionally shaped saddles, the Brooks B17s and other relatively narrow saddles, or something like the old Avocet racing saddles, or thousands of other saddles of similar shape, it appears to me that you can see, in the design of these saddles, thought given to these considerations. Basically, how to support a bicycle rider in a normal bicycle riding posture and still allow all the lower body motions that bicycle riding entails. Support is provided mostly to the "sit bones" with some compliance of the saddle to distribute the load a bit and match differences in individual shape and size.

So, I think it should be expected that someone who is not accustomed to riding a bicycle should feel some discomfort or pain in the butt when riding, and afterward. We're not used to sitting in the position that active cycling requires, we're not used to the constant minor position adjustments that get made, there's just nothing else that we do that's like cycling.

So, what other people have said, when someone experiences pain or discomfort some of it may just be what's going to have to be lived with until the rider gets used to the activity.

Also, what others have said about bike fit and adjustment -- particularly not having the saddle too low, which would prevent someone from supporting as much weight as possible with the legs.

Part of fit and adjustment is adjustment of the saddle for tilt, fore and aft position, and nose angle. Seemingly minor adjustments can make a pretty big difference in how the saddle feels and all these adjustments are probably interdependent. All those adjustments, are also probably quite individual. Some people like their saddles tilted rearward a tad more than other people. I like mine tilted just to the point that I don't have a tendency to slide forward.

There are also differences in basic anatomy involved. People have different sized pelvises and many people can't get sufficient support with a narrower saddle like the standard B17 (or the narrower ones like the B17N, Swift, Swallow, Colt, etc). That's why Brooks, and others, make saddles with somewhat shorter noses and wider rears. I've not experienced it personally, but I'm told that trying to use a saddle that is physically too narrow for the pelvis is very, very unpleasant. That's a function of the pelvis size, which doesn't change as we gain and lose weight. Just because someone has more "padding" than desirable doesn't mean a wider saddle as the saddle shouldn't support the extra "padding," it should support the "sit bones."

What does this all mean to the person riding a bicycle for the first time in 20 years? Probably some thought and consideration to the bike, fit, and adjustment. Evaluation of the current saddle and how it is being ridden, whether the rider is on the saddle in the proper position or too far forward. Where, exactly, is the pain and discomfort on the body. If it's muscle ache and pain, that's a matter of conditioning. If it's located in the vicinity of the "sit bones" that's probably a good sign as it indicates that the rider is being supported by the proper body part. If it's chafing discomfort, it may be saddle fit or it may be adjustment related. If the pain and discomfort is forward of the "sit bones" and towards the center, it's likely something that needs to be addressed and fixed right away -- it's not something that somebody is going to get used to. It's something that shouldn't be happening at all and is probably adjustment related, but also may be a function of anatomy and saddle design.

Obviously, I'm not a big fan of the extra wide, extra short, extra padded saddles as I agree with others who have suggested that the basic, traditional, bicycle seat is pretty well designed for the purpose. When I look at those pictures of the saddles designed to solve problems that, in my opinion shouldn't exist, I see something that will screw up my riding experience. But, other people have different opinions and that's ok -- it's a matter of preference, not right and wrong.
Old 01-11-17, 10:54 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
So I am wondering if it is possible to be pain and discomfort free after riding a bike?
Absolutely, yes. I ride a variety of saddles, like the Brooks Team Pro or the Gyes GS-17A or the Fujita Belt FB-17 with little-to-no awareness of the saddle even being there. I use the GS-17A on my commuter and have nothing but praise for its comfort.

I've used the Brooks B-17, but cannot recommend that saddle due to the generally poorer leather quality of the ones made in the last few years.

I also run very narrow Ritchey and WTB Valcon saddles on my racing-type and mountain bikes, respectively. No issues there, but the saddle comes less into play on those bikes because of how they're ridden.

The answers are: yes, of course, and it may be a long search for you.
Old 01-11-17, 12:48 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I tested one of these.
It did not work out.

That looks.... uncomfortable.
Old 01-11-17, 12:58 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
It might sound silly but Sheepskin, I've always wondered why cyclists never use it? I've used it on my motorcycle, and I've seen cowboys use it on their horses. IMHO it works 100% better then gel seats even though I don't understand why.
Old 01-11-17, 01:50 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
because that defines sitting on a blanket more than even a giant padded saddle.
Old 01-11-17, 02:13 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
This saddle ends up on everybody's invisible list. https://selleanatomica.com/

If there is a problem with them, the saddles stretch and don't last for distance riding. I tried two, and couldn't get them to last past 6 months.
But the people who swear by them wouldn't give them up for anything.

Wow. That looks like a variant of the McClellan.
Old 01-11-17, 02:58 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I've used the Brooks B-17, but cannot recommend that saddle due to the generally poorer leather quality of the ones made in the last few years.
The Brooks Select of today is the Brooks of old. Likewise, the Brooks Pro.
If you check the internet for "how to break in a Brooks saddle" you will find scads of home remedies - soak them in mink oil and stick them in the oven - boil them and let them dry - soak them in water and go for a ride.
All of these of these serve the goal of unnaturally softening the leather and without question shorten the life of the saddle.

I think Brooks made a choice to open themselves to a wider market by delivering softer saddles in their standard grades.

The Gyes saddles come from Taiwan - they're also sold as VO saddles. Yes, they're harder and have a longer life for it.

You and I wouldn't want a 5000 mi saddle. But most casual riders may not ride their bike 5000 mi over their lifetime use of it.

I think it would take our OP a long time to add up 5000 mi, and I'm comfortable recommending a B17 Standard Champion for him.

That said, I still think he should try the Selle Anatomica (especially for 30 days), and believe it will be just what he's asking for.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 01-11-17 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 03:01 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeinFL
wow there are lots of ergo saddle designs out there. This one looks promising- anyone try the Carbon Comfort saddle? they have 30 day return

RideOutTech.com
There are. They've been around in various iterations a very long time:
Attached Images
Old 01-11-17, 03:08 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Eric, split hammock leather saddles accomplish two things - their cooling is out of this world.
Second, each side of the hammock moves independently with your legs, which prevents chaffing on a wider saddle like the SA.

It was the first saddle I tried on my Moser - here's a front view, it's not a bad-looking saddle.

But here's how much it stretched in the first 8 miles - so much that the saddle let go of the stretch bolt and I had to stop in a bike shop to borrow tools and reassemble it. Take along the tool to stretch the bolt on rides as needed - eventually it should stabilize.
But our OP needs something to get him out on the bike, and I think this saddle is it.
If it's not this, it's probably the sprung Brooks B67

Last edited by bulldog1935; 01-11-17 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 04:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
I"m going to assume that the photo is not of you on your bike. If you're riding in jeans and underwear, it is nearly impossible to be comfortable on a bicycle.
Baah!!! I ride in jeans & T-Shirt, including several century+ rides last year.

You don't need fancy padded jammies to ride a bike.

As others have mentioned, it often takes a while to get used to riding after a long break. Or, maybe a new saddle.

So...
  1. Make sure the bike is configured/adjusted well. (Heel on pedal, straight leg (or almost straight) at 5:00/7:00 position. At least for road bikes.
  2. Some good posterior support. You don't need a saddle the size of a lounge chair. But, I do like a little flatter on top. Mild padding, but nothing excessive. Fizik makes some nice flat top road saddles. Unfortunately my Fizik Technogel (Life Rondine?) is discontinued. The old barrel shaped saddles seem somewhat uncomfortable.
  3. Put in a few miles before giving up. 100 miles? 500 miles? A few longer rides?
Lots of things impact saddle choice. So, posting a photo of someone else riding a bike doesn't help much. Age, weight, size, type of bike, etc.

I haven't done any "sit bone" impressions, but some people swear by it.
Old 01-11-17, 04:29 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
So I am wondering if it is possible to be pain and discomfort free after riding a bike?
Yes. I'm comfortable during and after rides past 200 miles.

Maybe with things like a better saddle
You need a not-soft, not-wide saddle which suits your anatomy.

You'll sink into padding until your ischial tuberosities aka sit bones have solid support which squishes soft tissues that don't do well with pressure like your pudendal nerve. Minimal firm padding prevents sinking so nothing presses on vulnerable nerves and other squishy bits.

A saddle that's too wide will rub on your thighs when you're pedaling. Too narrow and your sit bones will miss the saddle.

I like the specialized Toupe, but your anatomy and therefore preferences will be different.

Note that it takes some distance for your butt to toughen.

better bike underwear/shorts
Excess padding in the wrong places will chafe, and padding that's too squishy causes problems whether its in the shorts or saddle.

I like Boure PRO shorts with a flat synthetic leather chamois and Voler shorts using the Comp HP pad with stiff 120 kg/m^3 foam beneath the sit bones.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-12-17 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 05:17 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Baah!!! I ride in jeans & T-Shirt, including several century+ rides last year.

Congratulations.
Old 01-13-17, 12:53 PM
TheChosenOne

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is $107.96 a good deal for the Brooks B67?

https://www.amazon.com/Brooks-Saddle...oks%2BB67&th=1
Old 01-13-17, 01:26 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
I've never ridden around the butt region.
Damn, beat me to it.
Old 01-13-17, 01:46 PM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
No Pain

Yes.
Old 01-13-17, 04:53 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Is $107.96 a good deal for the Brooks B67?

https://www.amazon.com/Brooks-Saddle...oks%2BB67&th=1
Not bad, I'd say. For the best deals these days, you might want to check the German and French sellers online as the strong dollar makes buying Euro priced stuff pretty tempting.
Old 01-13-17, 04:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I haven't ridden a bike in 20 years until recently
anyhow, ride 20 years then get back with that update ..
Old 01-14-17, 01:11 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
I've never ridden around the butt region.
I hear there's a pretty deep valley.
Old 01-14-17, 07:00 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
watch out for the sink hole.
Old 01-14-17, 08:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Butte Montana Has a Big hole That used to be a mine, now its, their Problem.

and paid by for others
It is the largest pit lake in the United States, and is the most costly part of the country's largest Superfund site.
Well except the Hanford nuclear weapons production reactor , that is another perpetual cost.
Old 01-14-17, 09:33 PM
TheChosenOne

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay I am ready to buy a saddle. Which is better for my 2016 Giant Escape 2? Brooks B17 or B67? And what type of allen key would I need? Would a LBS install it for me for free? If not would it cost anything to borrow an allen key for 5 minutes? Does Home Depot have one we can borrow? If the answer is no to the last 3 questions I'll just probably buy an Allen key then return it once I have no use for it. Or maybe I'll keep it, I'll see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.