Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a current, C&V-ish 26" wheelset?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 04:25 PM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

So, the Mavic XC717 / Deore M590 wheelset I've been using on my '85 Cimarron for the last 4 years has started breaking spokes. I think it's due to corrosion / fatigue where the spokes cross, but I'm not sure.

I've been debating rebuilding it with new spokes or just getting a new wheelset, and I've started shopping around to see what's out there.

Anybody have any recommendations for a current 26" wheelset that looks good with vintage bikes?

My main requirements are silver rims / hubs, but additional C&V influences would be nice. 32-36 spokes, heavy or light-touring (but mainly general utility and recreational cycling). 135mm (or 130mm) rear hub.
Old 08-24-16, 05:04 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
If the brake tracks are in good shape, rebuild them. Mavic makes good stuff.

If not, it's hard to go wrong with Sun RhynoLites...I love the damn things. Cheap, light, sturdy as hell, and don't look weird.
Old 08-24-16, 10:16 PM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
If the brake tracks are in good shape, rebuild them. Mavic makes good stuff.

If not, it's hard to go wrong with Sun RhynoLites...I love the damn things. Cheap, light, sturdy as hell, and don't look weird.
Yeah, I may check with some local shops to see how much it would cost for the spokes/nipples and labor to get them rebuilt since the rims aren't too worn and I think the hubs are still in good shape.

Sun Rhynolites look like a good replacement option. Did you get a prebuilt set or did you get the parts and build or get them built up by hand?
Old 08-24-16, 10:26 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by mainstreetexile
Sun Rhynolites look like a good replacement option. Did you get a prebuilt set or did you get the parts and build or get them built up by hand?
Got the parts and had them built. If you hunt around, though, you can find prebuilt RhynoLite wheelsets.

Not sure how representative this is, but the LBS that does my wheels charges $45 per wheel in labor, and about $1.50 per spoke for good DT Swiss spokes, including nipples.
Old 08-24-16, 11:02 PM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Poked around and saw that Nashbar had a deal on prebuilt Rhynolite / M525 Deore disc hub wheelsets, $90 (25% off $119) + $15 shipping.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...0052_200262_-1

Black hubs and rims with silver sidewall braking surfaces, but for that price, it seemed worth snagging a set to try out and have as a backup even if I get my mavic set rebuilt.