Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Redline Monocog: Too heavy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 06:44 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Redline Monocog: Too heavy?

Would a Redline Monocog be too heavy for SSCX (50 year-old legs), if the goal is just to finish and have a good time? At that price point, my options seem to be a formerly high-end used canti SSCX rig I'd never feel comfortable riding off the track at speed in Seattle, or something like this, which i could also ride around the neighborhood, to the store, on trails, etc. But I'm assuming it's as much of a pig as the old rim brake monocogs, which were 30ish pounds, as I recall.

Or should I just wait to find an RXS or some other disc-equipped single-speed come up on CL?
Old 04-14-20, 08:23 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I have a few old monocogs lying around that me and my kids used while they were growing up. One is an old steel 26er, another is an old aluminum Flight Monocog 26er, and the third is a newer 29er monocog. They are nowhere near 30 pounds. Bike weight will subtly effect you average speed, but there is no reasonably good bike that will be too heavy to “finish and have a good time”. A few pounds difference of weight will probably only be noticed when lifting it onto the car rack.

Last edited by mihlbach; 04-14-20 at 08:31 PM.