Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Yoga Mat vs Sleeping Pad

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Yoga Mat vs Sleeping Pad

Old 04-21-19, 06:22 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have backpacked and also kayaked at Isle Royale National Park. They have shelters with wood floors in addition to tent sites. My first trip there, used a fairly thin Thermarest self inflating pad on the wood floors (same one in the photo above from my Grand Canyon backpacking trip), and that was the last Isle Royale trip I did without an air mattress. That hard wood floor was just too hard for a thin self inflating pad, since then only consider an air mattress.
The few times we've camped on tent platforms I've noticed how the wood floor made for a less comfortable night on my older self inflating camparests.
Old 04-21-19, 07:42 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
With the self inflating pad I had, I found a definite need to top the pad up with some air after letting it sit and inflate itself. On it's own inflation, it was more comfortable than no pad, but I could still feel myself laying on the ground. I had to put some air into it for it to support my weight fully off of the ground. Then it was comfortable. An air mattress style pad is sill better, though. Thicker mattress, more insulation/temperature regulation, and packs smaller and weighs less? Yes, please!
Originally Posted by kansascity
After looking at a lot of pads, I think I am going to try the Klymit Static V. Overall it had good reviews and price was in the range that I was comfortable with.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. Mine is the insulated light version and I've been very happy with it. I really think it's the best pad you can get at it's price point.
Old 04-22-19, 05:35 AM
djb

To the original poster
IMPORTANT
Do not leave any inflatable pad like the one you are getting, in the sun or even in a closed tent, when is hot, as the pad will become over inflated and can and will cause damage to the inside sealing points from too much pressure.

Just release a bunch of air or simply open the valve completely to be safe if leaving the tent alone for hours and hours even if your tent is in shade, when the sun moves during the day, the tent will get very very hot inside.

Just a heads up.
Old 04-22-19, 06:56 PM
kansascity 
Honorary Bicycle Rider

Bikes: N+1's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
To the original poster
IMPORTANT
Do not leave any inflatable pad like the one you are getting, in the sun or even in a closed tent, when is hot, as the pad will become over inflated and can and will cause damage to the inside sealing points from too much pressure.

Just release a bunch of air or simply open the valve completely to be safe if leaving the tent alone for hours and hours even if your tent is in shade, when the sun moves during the day, the tent will get very very hot inside.

Just a heads up.
Good thinking. On my next trip, I won't spend more than 1 night at the same location, but I have in the past.
Old 04-22-19, 07:03 PM
djb

Originally Posted by kansascity
Good thinking. On my next trip, I won't spend more than 1 night at the same location, but I have in the past.
well, I hope you find this mat comfortable enough. Im sure it will be fine.
Old 04-23-19, 10:09 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
I have never heard of having a problem with leaving a pad in a hot tent, but then I almost always try to camp in cooler climates. I did a bike trip in Florida Keys in Feb 2017, that is the only hot weather bike trip I have done. But I think that the difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures was a pretty tight range on that trip. I will try to remember to partially deflate my pads during daytime if I do any hot weather trips.

Nobody is saying much here about storage, a friend of mine left his Thermarest self inflating pad tightly rolled up for a year and after that he concluded that it lost some of it's ability to self inflate. That surprised me because they are sold tightly rolled up, but I had no reason to disbelieve him. Thus, at home when not in use I always store my self inflating pads fully inflated, they are standing up behind a door so completely out of the way.
Old 04-23-19, 10:48 AM
djb

I have never heard of having a problem with leaving a pad in a hot tent, but then I almost always try to camp in cooler climates. I did a bike trip in Florida Keys in Feb 2017, that is the only hot weather bike trip I have done. But I think that the difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures was a pretty tight range on that trip. I will try to remember to partially deflate my pads during daytime if I do any hot weather trips.

Nobody is saying much here about storage, a friend of mine left his Thermarest self inflating pad tightly rolled up for a year and after that he concluded that it lost some of it's ability to self inflate. That surprised me because they are sold tightly rolled up, but I had no reason to disbelieve him. Thus, at home when not in use I always store my self inflating pads fully inflated, they are standing up behind a door so completely out of the way.
Ive personally seen thermorests balloon all up from being in a closed tent, in the sun during summer, or people leaving them out in the sun on the grass. On days off during summer trips, Ive noticed fairly quickly how my thermorest (old ones or inflateable ones) can build up pressure from the tent getting really hot, and so have always let some air out, or if going away for a while, simply opening the valve to be safe.
Given how expensive the newer type ones are, I reckon its worth a bit of caution, not to mention of course the impracticality if a real problem happened during a trip.

Ive always kept my self inflating ones stored open, with the valve open, as I too have noticed that ones kept rolled up for ages, self inflate very slowly and not fully, and Im sure its cuz the baffles inside that "spring" up on their own and drawn air into the mat, have lost their "spring".
We were given a mat once and it clearly had spent years rolled up tightly, and doesnt self inflate well--but does work fine when inflated by mouth.

but then I also store my bikes over the winter in the small granny gear and the 11 tooth at the rear, so that the derailleur springs are in the lax position, I figure its a small thing, but taking care of stuff like this does pay off over time, and some people arent concerned about details like this. With derailleurs, my theory is that it helps shifting snappiness over the years, but then who knows, it could be a miniscule difference....hey, it keeps me out of the pool halls .
Old 04-23-19, 11:55 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I lost a self inflated mattress in my van one time because of the heat, unfortunately it was due to the afternoon sun and not for more youthful pursuits.
Old 12-08-20, 11:56 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Since this thread is being resurrected after a year and a half, I will just quickly comment that self adhesive patches for inner tubes can work well on air mattress leaks.

Old 12-09-20, 10:31 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
I have backpacked and also kayaked at Isle Royale National Park. They have shelters with wood floors in addition to tent sites. My first trip there, used a fairly thin Thermarest self inflating pad on the wood floors (same one in the photo above from my Grand Canyon backpacking trip), and that was the last Isle Royale trip I did without an air mattress. That hard wood floor was just too hard for a thin self inflating pad, since then only consider an air mattress.
i worked up there in the late 90s. Most of the time I used a Hennessy hammock, but when I did use a tent in cooler weather a closed cell mattress was the way to go for me.
we were typically on the trail for two weeks, off for a week, repeat as needed. I think there were a few years I spent more time in my hammock or tent than I did at home.
Old 12-11-20, 09:56 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I carry a 2” thick self inflating seeping pad. It’s probably the bulkiest and heaviest item I carry. I’m sure it’s a kg or so heavier than closed cell foam or a yoga mat, but that kg will slow me down much less than getting zero sleep, or waking up with a stiff neck that only turns in one direction.
Old 12-11-20, 11:28 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I carry a 2” thick self inflating seeping pad. It’s probably the bulkiest and heaviest item I carry. I’m sure it’s a kg or so heavier than closed cell foam or a yoga mat, but that kg will slow me down much less than getting zero sleep, or waking up with a stiff neck that only turns in one direction.
in my experience, a seeping pad is indicative of a slow leek...
Likes For saddlesores: