Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grocery Shopping on the bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grocery Shopping on the bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-20, 10:01 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Plus one for the Wald basket set. They're really solid. I got the smaller one and it fit on my bike perfectly, which is rare as I understand it. They include a package of small hardware to jury-rig the installation, but you may still need to visit a hardware store. Get a little bungee cargo net to go over it.

Likes For rollagain:
Old 03-29-20, 10:05 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

I now also have a pair of the Wald #582 pannier baskets. Unfortunately they included a mutant U-clamp which won't work so, I have to wait for them to send me a replacement.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 03-16-21, 06:57 AM
walkyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Love Vons. Vons Online Grocery Shopping and Delivery/Pickup is unavailable which I use for myself to have groceries. Online prices do not reflect in-store pricing/availability and Vons is a Southern California and Southern Nevada supermarket chain owned by Albertsons.
Old 03-16-21, 09:50 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Consider the physics involved. If you mount things high on the bike, especially on top of the rack, you can affect the handling and stability of your bike. That's why touring bike riders use panniers. I have experience on loading up the panniers at a grocery store and was thankful to have panniers as well as using a recumbent trike where stability is unaffected. If you live where it rains, enclosed panniers protect your groceries far better than plastic grocery bags. I never had a problem with anyone stealing anything off my trike while it was parked at grocery stores but perhaps I live in a better neighborhood than some do. These days I use a different trike and just hang stuff off the rear part of the frame in those reusable fabric bags. I can carry a gallon of milk and a couple other items that way since I don't have a rack on the trike.
You can get an inexpensive set of panniers like these by ordering from China for around $15. A similar but slightly smaller set from a US seller is $18. https://www.ebay.com/itm/313189767368 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/333766183116
Old 03-16-21, 10:12 AM
mbpletcher

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

its only 3 miles-go everyday
Likes For mbpletcher:
Old 03-16-21, 10:57 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
If you plan on picking up eggs, a gallon of milk, chips, & a loaf of bread all at once during a shopping event, you may find it more of a challenge. A more rugged cargo setup with large enough individual compartments might be the way to go.
Old 03-16-21, 11:17 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Backpack is similarly a high load and IME uncomfortable way to carry items with weight on a bike.
Most of the problem with a backpack is getting a sweaty back on a long ride, particularly if it's then going to get cold later on.

But for three or five or even ten miles it's really not an issue.

The milk crate would seem an obvious solution but leaves the load high and susceptible to falling out.
Some experience in how it handles and in packing with care is key.

Something I learned back in college is that shopping with a basket was a good size predictor for the rear rack (replica) milk crate.

More recently in addition to leveraging the backpack I've discovered possibilities like tying a tote back with a couple of frozen pizzas in it to the outside of my backpack, or tying a 6-pack of toilet paper there, or sticking a bottle of cooking oil in a bottle cage (that already had a velcro strap for security)

That said there is a strong counter-argument to cycle-based grocery shopping at the moment though, and that's that in a pandemic it probably makes more sense to go into a few stores once a week and really load up at motor vehicle scale, rather than to make a greater number of smaller trips. Indoor-grade masks are also going to work better when not on a sweaty face; especially single-use ones there's any desire to save for re-use. Masks for riding in are another matter, more of an outbound/courtesy kind of thing than something likely to offer meaningful inbound protection when entering a shared indoor space.
Old 03-16-21, 11:24 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
1. Do your grocery shopping
2. Return to your bike and unpack the cart and decide which items will go in the basket, which will go in the panniers, and which will go in the backpack. Use weight and bulk to help decide.
3. Ride slow-ish on the way home - things can flop out of an open basket, but heavy items like milk and canned goods tend to stay in unless you are riding like a maniac. Use your backpack for lighter things and things you don't want crushed, like bread.
Old 04-07-21, 04:09 PM
NeedARealBike

Bikes: Cinelli Bootleg Hobo - Railway 2015

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Consider the physics involved. If you mount things high on the bike, especially on top of the rack, you can affect the handling and stability of your bike. That's why touring bike riders use panniers. I have experience on loading up the panniers at a grocery store and was thankful to have panniers as well as using a recumbent trike where stability is unaffected. If you live where it rains, enclosed panniers protect your groceries far better than plastic grocery bags. I never had a problem with anyone stealing anything off my trike while it was parked at grocery stores but perhaps I live in a better neighborhood than some do. These days I use a different trike and just hang stuff off the rear part of the frame in those reusable fabric bags. I can carry a gallon of milk and a couple other items that way since I don't have a rack on the trike.
You can get an inexpensive set of panniers like these by ordering from China for around $15. A similar but slightly smaller set from a US seller is $18. https://www.ebay.com/itm/313189767368 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/333766183116
it’s not really that big of a deal. Specially for short grocery trips. A lot of us poor folk in Orange County do it, besides your big ole butt weighs more than any groceries and sits higher up over the rack, the only real issue to be careful with is when leaning it against something or if you use a kick stand. I also have a Bell branded knockoff of the wald 582 folding basket. Great for tossing my library books and dvds in.
Old 04-07-21, 08:42 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Three miles to the grocery store, as thread starter Juan Foote is looking at, was the distance we had when we were car-free grocery shopping. None of the on-bike solutions of this thread would have worked for us though. I'd be loaded down with 4 or 5 times what the basket will hold. Two DIY canvas pannier bags strapped on the rack , double load of duffels on the rack (the lower duffel had a rigid bottom and would extend a foot or two over the rear), plus backpack for bread and eggs and such. My wife had a smaller load. I'd have gladly used a trailer if I'd had one.

Ease of handling wasn't an issue, because there was no ease of handling - you keep it straight and upright. Get the weight and bungies wrong however, and weight can get to swaying and that's bad news. Tie down with nylon cord instead, heavier loads on the rack.

Last edited by wphamilton; 04-15-21 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-07-21, 09:08 PM
homeless in ca.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
I keep a few grocery bags in my milk crate and some bungee cords. So when I buy too much food I can bag some of it and strap the bags down. Also if you don't want to smoosh the bread put it in a bag and hang it over the side.

I made this little cargo trailer with an old kiddie trailer I found in the trash. I use it to schlep my ladder and tools. There's 19 gallons of water there. 8.33 pounds per gallon.

Old 04-07-21, 11:20 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
this is the "WinCo Wagon", there is a piece of plywood lining the milk container so small stuff does not drop out which also serves as a foundation for the foam liner, which helps absorb the bumps, the plywood also helps when it comes to bolting down the container to the rack.

if we are really going to town, then we also take the back pack, together i can get about 40 lbs or about 56 dollars worth of stuff home safely.

i use a Trader Joes shopping bag for stuff that goes in the container, you can tie the handles together to seal stuff in.This means that you do all yo bagging inside the store where it is warm and bright, so you come out to the bike and just plop that shopping bag in the back and go. This also means that you can keep the bike balanced, because if you load a side pannier while your bike is leaning against a post o on the kick stand, then it will fall over while you pack. so we unlock the bike, throw on the back pack, then load the container with the shopping bag last which means the bike don't tip over.

the back pack is good for hauling dog food (for the crows) because who wants to peddle 12 miles at night just for dog food?

you can rest the bottom of the back pack on the front edge of the milk container so you do not even feel any weight.

make sure the rear stays are on good, had one cut loose which made the load swing back and forth wildly till we got home fo repairs.

popping wheelies with a full load is very easy. and the workout coming up the final grade gets those fast twitch muscles in shape so we can lead out Woot.

Last edited by cjenrick; 04-07-21 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-08-21, 10:31 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I use a pair of cheap panniers and a rack bag. At the moment I'm shopping for us and my mother, and I can get a full week's shopping for mother in one load.

I can get much of our shopping (we're a family of four) on board, although we get our meat, fresh vegetables, and cheese from a local farm shop.

Keeping the bulk of the load low down in the panniers means that the bike's handling isn't affected and fragile items are safe in the rack bag.