Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Presta valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 06:40 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by idrum4u
I have been in the bicycle industry since 1977 and DO NOT like presta valves. I keep having to reach for an adaptor.
???

Lots of people, the vast majority, maybe, in the bicycle industry appear to have no issues with Presta valves.

The problem might not be with Presta valves.
Old 03-23-21, 06:43 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by sacr
some like the schrader because they can use them at gas stations to fill up?
People ride bicycles for exercise but can't use a floor pump.

(You can get a schrader adapter for Presta.)
Old 03-23-21, 07:38 AM
sacr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
People ride bicycles for exercise but can't use a floor pump.

(You can get a schrader adapter for Presta.)

well, strange as it seems years ago bicycles came with Dunlop valves and ridiculous frame hand pumps with rubber hose attachments that quickly leaked and made pumping up tyres a chore. A shop style floor pump wasn’t even available in this country(aus) so people who road bikes for transport would go with the Schraeder tubes so they could easily inflate them at gas stations
Old 03-23-21, 07:54 AM
njkayaker

well, strange as it seems years ago bicycles came with Dunlop valves and ridiculous frame hand pumps with rubber hose attachments that quickly leaked and made pumping up tyres a chore. A shop style floor pump wasn’t even available in this country(aus) so people who road bikes for transport would go with the Schraeder tubes so they could easily inflate them at gas stations
Ancient history?

Most people here are carrying (should be carrying) something to inflate their tires. And they are likey riding for recreation or exercise.

​​​​​​​The "bikes for transport" likely typically had wide tires and were often ridden with under-inflated tires.
Old 03-23-21, 10:25 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Presta is easier to pump to high pressure with a hand pump as there's no valve spring to fight.
The pump head pushes on the little pin, and holds the valve open during inflation.

Because I'm a curious character, I just measured the cracking force of a schrader valve to be about 13 ounces, and the valve seat diameter to be about 0.08 inches. It would take about 160 PSI to blow it open with pressure from the pump. So there's a little nub in the pump head that pushes the pin when you attach the head.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 03-23-21 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-23-21, 11:08 AM
piete

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Same for me i would go for the option of biying instead of drilling but i think i could see myself doing that too😂
Old 03-23-21, 12:04 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The pump head pushes on the little pin, and holds the valve open during inflation.
You're right, of course. I didn't think that through very well. I'll blame it on lack of caffeine.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-23-21, 12:30 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
You're right, of course. I didn't think that through very well. I'll blame it on lack of caffeine.
Lack of caffeine meets lockdown induced boredom.
Old 03-23-21, 01:57 PM
sacr

Ancient history?

Most people here are carrying (should be carrying) something to inflate their tires. And they are likey riding for recreation or exercise.

The "bikes for transport" likely typically had wide tires and were often ridden with under-inflated tires.
Okay, perhaps you have learnt something or not, before you jump in with your criticism next time, look at the big picture of how people use bikes......everywhere. Many people here( it is the www) preferred the schraeder simply because it offers them the convenience of using gas station air( of course we are not talking about serious Tour de France wannabes) but this forum isnt just for those is it?
Old 03-23-21, 03:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
with the warm season here, it'll deflate rather quickly like a snapped off presta pintle.

With a presta valve setup & no pump, you could stow two 12g cartridges that will "blow" past the valve. Should net you 90 psi in the tube.
Old 03-23-21, 03:05 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C

Because I'm a curious character, I just measured the cracking force of a Presta valve to be about 13 ounces, and the valve seat diameter to be about 0.08 inches. It would take about 160 PSI to blow it open with pressure from the pump. So there's a little nub in the pump head that pushes the pin when you attach the head.
If that's the case, why do I often have to "burp" the Presta valve after my first attempt at inflation with a floor pump fails? The gauge shows that air in the hose reached some astronomical pressure, and yet the valve refuses to open, nub or no nub.

Also, I can report that there was a brief fad among the fellow racers in my home town, back in the mid-1960s, of snapping off the exposed portion of the inner core of the Presta valves of their latex-tubed tubular tires. Why, you ask? So that they wouldn't have to keep unscrewing and rescrewing the knurled tip for the daily task of reinflating the tires.

And also, and probably more importantly, come to think of it, they did it to avoid the common spectacle of the handle of a Silca hand pump launching a good 50 or 60 feet in the air after inadvertently nudging the knurled tip of the valve, instantly blasting all the tire pressure into the pump.

That fad lasted until the first time one of them had a flat and the valve core disappeared irretrievably into the tire's innards.

Last edited by Trakhak; 03-23-21 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-23-21, 04:36 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by Trakhak
If that's the case, why do I often have to "burp" the Presta valve after my first attempt at inflation with a floor pump fails? The gauge shows that air in the hose reached some astronomical pressure, and yet the valve refuses to open, nub or no nub.

Also, I can report that there was a brief fad among the fellow racers in my home town, back in the mid-1960s, of snapping off the exposed portion of the inner core of the Presta valves of their latex-tubed tubular tires. Why, you ask? So that they wouldn't have to keep unscrewing and rescrewing the knurled tip for the daily task of reinflating the tires.

And also, and probably more importantly, come to think of it, they did it to avoid the common spectacle of the handle of a Silca hand pump launching a good 50 or 60 feet in the air after inadvertently nudging the knurled tip of the valve, instantly blasting all the tire pressure into the pump.

That fad lasted until the first time one of them had a flat and the valve core disappeared irretrievably into the tire's innards.
Aaak, I meant Schrader. I'll correct it after supper.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 03-23-21, 04:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
After this thread finally expires around December 2021, another thread will be started about: "valve stem caps vs no valve stem caps".
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-23-21, 06:02 PM
Troul 

November 2021 -
- - General --
"Are smooth valve stems unmanly?"
Old 03-24-21, 07:55 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
On a related note, I'm looking for a small pump to carry along that has both a presta and schrader head (like my floor pump) any recommendations?

My tires are all presta, but my airshocks are schrader. Also, it seems bikes around here are about 50/50 and I like to be able to help people if they have flats.
Old 03-24-21, 07:59 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
On a related note, I'm looking for a small pump to carry along that has both a presta and schrader head (like my floor pump) any recommendations?

My tires are all presta, but my airshocks are schrader. Also, it seems bikes around here are about 50/50 and I like to be able to help people if they have flats.
can you fit an adapter on the shocks?
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Schra.../dp/B01M3XXRMM

ACE stocks the SLIME brand.
Old 03-24-21, 08:22 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
If I lived in a city and had a nice fat tired bike I'd want Schrader valves.
Old 03-24-21, 09:59 AM
njkayaker

Okay, perhaps you have learnt something or not, before you jump in with your criticism next time, look at the big picture of how people use bikes......everywhere. Many people here( it is the www) preferred the schraeder simply because it offers them the convenience of using gas station air( of course we are not talking about serious Tour de France wannabes) but this forum isnt just for those is it?
If my mild statement was enough to set you off, you should probably stay off the internet.

How hard or inconvenient is using a pump?
Old 03-24-21, 01:55 PM
sacr

If my mild statement was enough to set you off, you should probably stay off the internet.

Hmm, victim blaming? I see the way you want to fly.

How about reading carefully before you criticise.

Going back to the context of why some may have developed a preference for schraeder valves and using gas station pumps, perhaps you still haven't researched the nasty contraptions provided to try and inflate tyres in countries other than the US from years ago. I mentioned the horrible devices with flexible rubber hoses which would inevitably perish and leak within months and make using a hand pump a unpleasant chore:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-BIKE...D/351059883745
Old 03-24-21, 03:08 PM
njkayaker

Hmm, victim blaming? I see the way you want to fly.

How about reading carefully before you criticise.
??? You aren't making any sense.

Going back to the context of why some may have developed a preference for schraeder valves ...
I don't care what people prefer.

But some people are spewing nonsense about the "difficulty" of presta.

It's not a big deal to use presta. It's not a big deal using schrader.

... perhaps you still haven't researched the nasty contraptions provided to try and inflate tyres in countries other than the US from years ago.
Ancient history.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-24-21 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-24-21, 06:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

Using a pump is a lost art and requires too much elbow grease. That's why 99.9 % of cyclists are using Co2 cartridges.
Old 03-24-21, 07:20 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I remember, as a kid, that using the compressor at the gas station was a sure way to have a tube explode because the volume of air they put out.

At home I use a track pump and on the road I use Co2 since i rather not carry a pump.

Using a gas station is not really an option since most require you to pay for air these days.

BTW... Presta valve adapters are usually in a jar next to the register at the LBS for $1. Toss one in your saddle bag and you can use the compressor at the gas station.

Old 03-29-21, 02:03 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
After this thread finally expires around December 2021, another thread will be started about: "valve stem caps vs no valve stem caps".
I have to admit sometimes these BF threads reach the level of a medieval theological discussion. But I do not do group rides, so maybe it even has shunning...
Old 03-30-21, 02:03 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I carry one similar to this which works for presta and shraeder. Much pumping to fill a tire, but it fits my small seat bag and has held up https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Bike-Pum.../dp/B07G2L39V2
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 03-30-21, 03:11 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,296 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Why wait?
Schrader => yes
Presta => no

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.