Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Great gel seat!

Old 09-01-20, 01:38 AM
bradleyheathhay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great gel seat!

So as I've aged the first part of my body to give out riding a bike now is my rear side. I'd like to do a distance record for myself this fall but I don't think I can do it without some extra cushion. Can anyone recommend a good gel seat cover for about $20? I ordered one on Amazon that was one of their best sellers and they refunded my order as they were out of stock.
Old 09-01-20, 02:49 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
You will be much better off with padded shorts than a padded seat.

With a padded seat, you will get much more movement between the seat, clothing, and skin. This will result in chaffing.

As far as a recommendation for padded shorts, I can't help you there. I can go 30 miles (current best) with just synthetic tight fitting boxer briefs.
Old 09-01-20, 06:58 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Everyone I've ever heard from who's used one of those strap-on gel pads said they're not worth it. They invariably tend to slide off or just not stay in place. Better to have a good saddle or padded shorts.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-01-20, 08:45 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I second that you should put the money towards better bibs or saddle.

I stuck one of those Amazon gel seat covers on a stationary bike and it didn't provide any extra comfort; just a numb nether region.
Old 09-01-20, 12:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Better off zip tieing earmuffs to your seat or 2-way taping imitation bra stuffers to you butt cheeks.
Old 09-01-20, 01:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you don't want to bother with padded shorts, try a Lycra over progressive density foam saddle like the Serfas Tailbones. I have a couple of similar saddles for my hybrids. They're handy when I'm wearing casual clothes -- baggy shorts, jeans, etc. Breathable, no swamp butt after a ride. No need to suit up. The saddle itself serves the same function as padded Lycra shorts.

For my road bikes I prefer firmer saddles and padded shorts, but not for casual rides and errands.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-01-20, 09:46 PM
bradleyheathhay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses everybody. I've asked this question on another bike forum and the conclusion was to find the right saddle / pants combination for me. And since I only wear regular shorts to ride I could see how padded shorts could make a big improvement. I used to wear bike shorts long time ago but seeing as how I'd actually prefer to wear regular shorts nowadays that Serfas saddle has my attention. At $25 that's exactly what I was hoping to spend. If you were to buy one or the other, which would it be?...Padded shorts or the Serfas saddle?
Old 09-02-20, 04:59 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
https://www.rei.com/product/168890/w...17890008376181
Not sure $20 can cure anything on a bike but this WTB saddle on sale. Rated pretty well reviews. But your results may vary on anything

Old 09-02-20, 06:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
There's no such thing as a great gel seat.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-02-20, 07:34 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 231 Posts
Many bike shops will have loaner seats, so try a couple until you find one you can tolerate. Then buy good shorts. But neither will be inexpensive.

Years ago Bicycling Magazine had an article on what items to pay a lot for and which ones you can buy cheap. Worth it: seat, shorts, shoes.
Old 09-02-20, 11:20 PM
bradleyheathhay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thankfully I've had a lot of feedback with this little issue. I posted the link for that seat in other bike forums and most everyone said if I had to choose between the two a good pair of bike shorts would be my best option. And like anything the more costlier they are the better the product is. Unfortunately I'm going to have to keep the cost of these down as much as I can. The good news is that since I'm just wearing regular gym shorts, stepping up to any padded bike shorts will be a step up.

I've had Pearl Izumi recommended to me as a manufacturer who makes decent lower end shorts. Any other suggestions please?
Old 09-02-20, 11:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Przewalski and Spotti make excellent affordable shorts. I prefer them over my Pearl Izumi shorts (although I prefer PI jerseys). Check Amazon.
Old 09-03-20, 03:31 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
I like my canari gel liner shorts worn under regular shorts. Got mine at Academy Sports.
Old 03-28-21, 01:43 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
Great gel is an oxymoron. Find a good seat or leather saddle and develop bike seat, your butt's ability to ride.
Old 03-28-21, 06:53 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhay
So as I've aged the first part of my body to give out riding a bike now is my rear side. I'd like to do a distance record for myself this fall but I don't think I can do it without some extra cushion. Can anyone recommend a good gel seat cover for about $20? I ordered one on Amazon that was one of their best sellers and they refunded my order as they were out of stock.
I don't think there is a good gel seat cover available at any price.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-28-21, 08:09 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Stop me if you've heard this before: I'm 66 and ride a Brooks B17. Yes, a hard leather seat combined with padded shorts works wonders. It's ot about the padding, but the contact area. A wider leather seat plus padded shorts means less pressure on the contact point and no friction between the fabric and your skin. The shorts can slide on the leather, not against your skin.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 03-28-21, 08:46 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Stop me if you've heard this before: I'm 66 and ride a Brooks B17. Yes, a hard leather seat combined with padded shorts works wonders. It's ot about the padding, but the contact area. A wider leather seat plus padded shorts means less pressure on the contact point and no friction between the fabric and your skin. The shorts can slide on the leather, not against your skin.
I also ride a Brooks B17, and second the recommendation. That said, there is a break in period of a couple of months. Not terrible, but I would get the saddle at least a few months before setting off on a big ride.
Old 03-28-21, 08:47 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhay
Thankfully I've had a lot of feedback with this little issue. I posted the link for that seat in other bike forums and most everyone said if I had to choose between the two a good pair of bike shorts would be my best option. And like anything the more costlier they are the better the product is. Unfortunately I'm going to have to keep the cost of these down as much as I can. The good news is that since I'm just wearing regular gym shorts, stepping up to any padded bike shorts will be a step up.

I've had Pearl Izumi recommended to me as a manufacturer who makes decent lower end shorts. Any other suggestions please?
Pearl Izumi is pretty good. I also like Aerotech Designs shorts. something about the shape of the pad, and the fit agrees with me.
Old 03-28-21, 09:45 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 375 Posts
The trouble is finding the right seat and shorts/bibs. There's too much variation in size and shape for one size to fit everyone, although it could be said that a gel seat will be painful for almost everyone. The success of a seat (saddle) or pair of shorts does not depend on the cost. Success of failure depends on how it fits. Durability may vary with cost, but the highest cost seats are probably too light to be very durable.

IOW, you have to go through some trial and error. If you want to wear regular shorts, Brooks' hard leather saddles are probably most known for not requiring padded shorts, but they go for more than $20. At the low cost end, WTB, Terry, Serfas are brand names with offerings, and there are innumerable offering from small vendors who don;t promote their brands.
Old 03-28-21, 11:14 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I've been told that old racers used to put a piece of steak on the saddle to absorb the bumps.
Old 03-28-21, 11:35 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
The problem with all the seat covers that have been offered, is they are the same hard rubber as what the seat is made of. Totally idiotic.
My last visit to the LBS, I saw a seat with fluid bubbles inside the sit spots. Seems like a good idea to try. There has been air-ride tried in the past also. I guess it was never accepted.

Anyway, in 2015 I was in China on my first tour. I was getting pimples on my sit spots, using a Brooks Flyer. In Nanning I passed a shop and saw some memory foam covers. Luckily I bought one and right away they solved my pains. They do need to be extra tied down with shoelaces. Looks be damned. Later I got 3 in the mail. Takes a month at least. Pick the lowest price on Ali-Baba, they are all about the same. Just like E-bay the prices vary 2 to 5 times, crazy.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 03-30-21 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-28-21, 01:30 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I bought some inexpensive padded liners on Amazon. I wear these under a variety of casual shorts. I second the opinion that gel seat covers are not a good idea, at least for me.
Old 03-28-21, 03:47 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Przewalski and Spotti make excellent affordable shorts. I prefer them over my Pearl Izumi shorts (although I prefer PI jerseys). Check Amazon.
Plus one. These are much better than my lower end PI.
Old 03-28-21, 08:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
If you were to buy something I would get a good pair of bib shorts. Me personally I am quite happy with Primal but have used Gore in the past and may end up getting some more Gore this year.

In terms of saddles it could be the saddle finding a saddle is tough but it also could be your fit on the bike. A saddle that is in the wrong position can cause a lot of issues and can make it feel like it is the wrong saddle and a lot of people fix that with more and more and more padding and gel rather than actually getting to the heart of the issue. A good fitter can help you get the comfort level up quite a bit and they can also help measure you and recommend saddles to work well with you and your ischial tuberosity (sit bones).

Jeff Bezos is not a bike shop if you are shopping there you probably won't get what you really need. He does sell a lot of stuff and a lot of it at really low prices to cut out local business and get himself and the people very close to him lots of money over employees and customers.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-17-21, 07:27 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
You didn't provide enough info in your original post to indicate what kind of bike you ride and current saddle, where you ride or what kind of riding you do. This got you suggestions of everything from Amazon short liners or bibs to a Brooks saddle. As you mentioned keeping costs down, I'm guessing the Brooks saddle is out of the question.

What is the distance goal you are looking at this fall and what kind of bike and saddle do you have now?