Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Help

Old 03-30-21, 05:56 PM
Bblackburn1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Replacing bearing vs whole bracket

Giant TCR C3 2012(possible 2008)
truvativ elita gxp crank
Sleeve says BSA 43-05 (diameter/bearing mm?)
I'm learning how to service and repair my own bikes.
I've got a wobble in my bearing and I removed the seal/covers and the bearings are looking rough. I can either replace the whole sealed bearing or replace the whole bottom bracket.. the problem is I can't find matches for either that I would be positive the would work. I perused the threads and couldn't find anything specific to my issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Bblackburn1; 03-30-21 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Making it more specific
Likes For Bblackburn1:
Old 03-30-21, 06:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
This
Old 03-30-21, 07:10 PM
Bblackburn1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info! I viewed this one on Amazon but it didn't quite "say" that it would fit. So, if it's same brand/model it will still work even if it didn't have the same 43-05?
Old 03-30-21, 07:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
BSA indicates it's screwed in rather than press fit. It seems to come with spacers, fits either 68mm or 73mm bottom bracket shells. Those, AFAIK are the relevant specs. Don't know what those other numbers mean. Hopefully someone else can clarify.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-01-21, 07:56 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
BSA indicates it's screwed in rather than press fit. It seems to come with spacers, fits either 68mm or 73mm bottom bracket shells. Those, AFAIK are the relevant specs. Don't know what those other numbers mean. Hopefully someone else can clarify.
GXP (the spindle interface) and BSA (the threading) are all you need to know. The spacers are for resolving chainline discrepancies, usually on mountain bikes that have a variety of rear axle standards now. Follow the instructions for use of the wavy washer and seals when reinserting the crank spindle.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-02-21, 05:17 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
An English threaded GXP bottom bracket is what you need for that crankset. The 43-05 is not a relevant number in terms of the bottom bracket or the crankset.
Old 04-02-21, 07:46 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
You can press out the old bearing cartridges from the BB shells and find the bearing numbers that you can match up from most bearing suppliers. It is a bit of a PITA and you need some tools that will work for this such as a bearing puller, or some bolt sockets of the right size that can be used to remove and install the bearings or possibly some auto supply stores may loan out the bearing tools. To make it a little easier put the BB in the freezer for at least a couple hours, have your tools and some boiling water ready when you take them out of the freezer and work fast by pouring the hot water over the aluminum shell of the BB trying as much as possible to keep it away from the bearing and start trying to get the bearing out. This helps to make it a little easier to remove the bearing. You may only save half of what a new BB would cost plus the extra time needed searching for the correct cartridge bearings and removal/replace time so something to consider. There is also this place that sells the DIY bearing kit but only a few $ less than a full BB and not sure what the quality of their bearings are. https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...OBKGXPCSB.html

Last edited by Crankycrank; 04-02-21 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-02-21, 08:02 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
All of what Crankycrank has posted is correct but not worth the time or trouble, particularly if you are new to bike repair and don't have experience replacing bearing cartridges. Pay the $32 and buy the complete cartridge shown above. You will need a suitable bottom bracket tool (Park BB-69.2 or similar) in any event. Also, be aware the drive side cup is left-hand threaded so it removes clockwise.
Likes For HillRider: