Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifter cables for Shimano ST-EF29-7

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-16-20, 08:55 PM
prdevoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry - newbie here. I'm trying to replace the front and rear derailleur cables in my Shimano ST-EF-29-7 shifters on a 2003 Giant BoulderSE mountain bike I picked up from Goodwill for recreational riding. I've not been able to determine what Shimano cable is compatible with this old ST-EF29 shifter. The information I pulled from the Shimano website for the shifter doesn't indicate the cable diameter or the size of the cable head. I also don't know what type of cable (stainless, galvanized, coated) would be best to use. I think the cable housings are probably ok, but it looked like the cable and the housings all came together as a kit so buying a kit might be my only option. Could someone advise me on the correct cable to buy? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-16-20, 10:01 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Cable is standard generic shifter cable, of which 98% are the same diameter. Stainless is the best choice as it is
not much more expensive than galvanized and coated cables tend to lose their coatings over time. Since there
have been some advances in housing/cables since 2003 a housing change is a good idea as well. A 17 yr old
housing is likely rusted internally. I would also change the brake pads and strongly consider brake cable and housing
change as well. Brake cables do come in two variants, one with a flat disc on the end (ATB) and the other with
a cylinder transversely molded for road bikes. Should be easy to remove the cable and see which you have.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dzEnXK5DU

Last edited by sch; 11-16-20 at 10:05 PM.
Likes For sch:
Old 11-17-20, 06:42 AM
prdevoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I had actually found and watched that video yesterday but he made no mention of the cable type or head size so I wasn't sure. I was able to find suitable brake cables and I had gotten them replaced, but I will take a look at the brake cable housings and replace them and the pads as well. Much appreciated.​
Old 11-17-20, 07:40 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
no one mentions cable head or diameter because we can assume that nearly all shift cables are the same type. there are a few very obscure exceptions to this, like bikes from the 1970s and earlier and maybe Campagnolo shifters. everything else uses a standard cable. regular stainless would be my choice, and replace the housing and ferrules while you're at it. most bike shops sell housing for $1–2 a foot and cables for $4–5 each, or you can buy a kit that comes with all you need to re-cable the shifting.