Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Replacement for Garmin 310xt

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 03-23-21, 05:55 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts

My old reliable 310xt had a concrete incident and is now toast, so I’m in the market for a replacement. Number 1 problem I had with the 310 was no Bluetooth, so that’s the starting point for the new device.

It’s primarily for cycling, but I’d like to be able to wear it on the wrist for running, hiking etc. Day-to-day wearing is not a concern.

The best add-on I got for the 310 was the quick release kit. I’d like something similar for my new watch.

With the 310, I’ve got use to the rectangular screen with 4 fields, I’d like that to be an option, but can be persuaded to other formats.

I’d really like it to come in under $200, and if I can get a HRM in at that price even better.

Any recommendations?
Old 03-23-21, 10:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Are you wanting to stay with a wrist worn device?

And why do you perceive Bluetooth as a benefit? Just because you can maybe connect to a smartphone? Or do you wish to use it with Bluetooth peripherals like chest strap, wheel sensor, etc?

If the latter, the trend for many such peripheral devices lately is that they will do both ant+ or Bluetooth. And they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 03-23-21, 12:07 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Bluetooth for uploading; I have to bring my 310 inside, turn on the laptop (only other ant+ enabled device in the house), wait for it to warm up (it's old), deal with Garmin Connect for Mac issues (its buggy, and constantly asking to update).

Vs a bluetooth device which can upload via my phone before I've locked up the garage.

And I'm not married to the idea of a wrist-worn device, but I'd like the option of wrist-wearing for hiking and jogging, and I might some day do a triathlon again. But you bring up a good question, has anyone ever worn an Edge 130 on a wrist-mount? And are they waterproof enough to swim with?

Last edited by Leinster; 03-23-21 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-23-21, 01:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I've often used my Garmin Edge 500 for walking with my wife. I just put it in a pocket and go. Or better yet, I'd many times put it under my cap so it'd have the most unobstructed view of the satellites. When I got a Specialized helmet with ANGI, I found that the phone app you have to use with that helmet also worked fine for times I am just walking (without the helmet). Time, speed, distance, elevation gain.

As for taking the Edge 130 under water. It's only IPX7 and that really isn't much. X tells you that the manufacturer sets the criteria. 7 tells you that the criteria the manufacturer had to come up with included the device being 1 meter under water. I'd cynically suppose the criteria the mfr might design could be put it in a water proof container before immersion. <grin> But somewhere I think Garmin did state their conditions.

Edge 130 will be a good device for basic stuff on the bike. Though future things you might want like Di2 information and maybe even some power meter stuff it won't ever do, but it does handle most power meter stuff... I think. I'd expect it to work much like my Edge 500 for walking.

I wouldn't guaranty that their listing of BLe and Ant+ meant that you can use Bluetooth HR meters and wheel sensors. It might just be that Bluetooth is for the connection to the phone. Ant+ is a well defined and rigid standard for fitness related information from sensors. Bluetooth being a broader multi purpose standard leaves quite a bit up to the imagination of the manufacturers. So I'd always want ant+ sensors if I had a choice.

If you are going to swim with it for a triathlon, then probably go with the watch type. Maybe a Garmin Swim for a little bit more $
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/665374#specs
Old 03-29-21, 05:10 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
How about a ETrex 25 or something. Runs on AA. I don't know if it'll do BT, it says you can do route planning in BaseCamp, which I think does a USB/Computer connection

Or a Garmin Edge Explore. Can use the Garmin Connect Mobile App to get routes from Connect, RideWithGPS, etc,.... onto this device.

Last edited by Steve B.; 03-29-21 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 09:46 PM
Leinster

Thanks for the ideas. AAs are a definite no! And teh ETrex has no Bluetooth compatibility, so no use for Strava activities etc. Power meter (in particular) and map data aren't really important to me, but appreciate the contributions.

The Edge Explore looks useful, but I don't think it offers extra functionality of value to me over the 130, and I like the compact format of the 130/130+. I have a replacement glass on order for the 310xt (From Soviet Russia, Garmin screen replace you), and if that works out I'll see how much longer I can get out of my existing unit, but I am leaning towards the 130 unless a budget Fenix with a 1/4 turn mount kit comes out in the near future.
Old 04-01-21, 11:17 AM
Leinster

Update;
GPSCity has the Forerunner 35, refurbed, for $69 at the moment, so that just sounded like a deal that was too good to pass up/an affordable price should it turn out to not be the right option. It's due to arrive Monday.