Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

what do you do about abusive motorists

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-05, 08:39 PM
Miniklobb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

today a car full of kids buzzed me and honked causeing me to almost go down. They stop at the stop sign up ahead so i as i go buy i yell "you want to **** with me punks! i'll **** you up!" as loud as i could.they were a little shocked but laughed and drove away. So how do you goes handle these people? i mean i can handle the ocational insult or angered motorist for being in the way but this was down right dangerous.
Old 08-28-05, 08:48 PM
joehizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, when I ride my motorcycle, I keep bolts in my jacket pocket so if a car messes with me, he gets a cracked windshield...
Old 08-28-05, 08:54 PM
timwat

Bikes: Giant TCR CF, Raleigh Fixie, Bridgestone Radac, Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pray for them.
Old 08-28-05, 08:54 PM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why reply at all? most of the time I don't acknowledge them if all they do is yell something as they drive by. if they do something that might endanger me, I would take out a cell phone and call 911. Most of the time they high tail it out of there if they see me pull out the cell phone. One time a kid yelled for me to get off the road as I was riding on the shoulder of the road and they stopped at a red light, I pulled up and asked if that was his sister driving him around...he almost wet his pants! I then asked if he knew how to drive...and that he should learn to keep his mouth shut when he learned to drive!
Old 08-28-05, 08:55 PM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joehizzle
well, when I ride my motorcycle, I keep bolts in my jacket pocket so if a car messes with me, he gets a cracked windshield...
I spend a LOT of time riding in traffic - so I don't suggest anyone actually follow this advice.

If somebody did that to me? And then stopped at a red ahead?

I would dismount, puncture the sidewalls of both tires on one side of the vehicle with a pocketknife, and ride away.

Bye!
Old 08-28-05, 08:56 PM
Miniklobb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yey i don't respond to the normal mouthing off but this was plain dangerous. yey i forgot my knife this one time or i would have shattered the windshield
Old 08-28-05, 08:59 PM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when riding in a group, remember that what any one person does can endanger the group. better to take the high road.
Old 08-28-05, 09:00 PM
ed073

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hope the green light ahead changes.
Old 08-28-05, 09:00 PM
Ferniefreeheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple years back I was biking with a bud. A jacked up 4X4 with a couple of drunk rednecks drove by slow. A fat beer bellied slob was leaning out the passengers window spouting off about spandex and ****'s etc. I promtly gave em the finger. They pulled over and this fat pig got out. We stopped and Gary and I got off our bikes. Gary kicked off his shoes and proceeded to beat this fat slob like a rented mule. The best part about it was the driver laughed his ass off, telling his fat friend he should of kept his pie hole shut and not fu** with guys in spandex.
Old 08-28-05, 09:03 PM
STEVO820
i am eddy.

Bikes: TREK 1000, Lemond Sarthe, Formaggio T.I.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joehizzle
funny you say that my buddy told me people do that. his dumb ass brings head studs to throw that mofo will kill someone with that

back to the kids in the car. if you yell at them and ride away they wont care. i had an incident like that and i caught them at the light and i told them to get out of the car. that scared em cause i was pissed.
Old 08-28-05, 09:04 PM
joehizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also, if you don't mind the extra weight, a holster with a Desert Eagle will keep people's mouths shut...permantly
Old 08-28-05, 09:05 PM
Jakey
Feed me your soul!

Bikes: Torelli 20th Anniversary, Trek 2000, Kona NuNu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a backpack full of hand grenades.
Old 08-28-05, 09:09 PM
sweetfracture3

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I look at them and shake my head.
Old 08-28-05, 09:10 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear an MP3 so I probably miss a few, but I tend to run my mouth with the usual MF's and F bombs. With me it's always people that see me coming from a side street and then start to pull out in front of me but then stop as I go by.
Old 08-28-05, 09:10 PM
Miniklobb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry only 16 gotta be 21 to get my carry permit which i do want to do
Old 08-28-05, 09:13 PM
spunky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferniefreeheels
A couple years back I was biking with a bud. A jacked up 4X4 with a couple of drunk rednecks drove by slow. A fat beer bellied slob was leaning out the passengers window spouting off about spandex and ****'s etc. I promtly gave em the finger. They pulled over and this fat pig got out. We stopped and Gary and I got off our bikes. Gary kicked off his shoes and proceeded to beat this fat slob like a rented mule. The best part about it was the driver laughed his ass off, telling his fat friend he should of kept his pie hole shut and not fu** with guys in spandex.
That's absolutely hilarious!
Old 08-28-05, 09:15 PM
mag112
mag112

Bikes: Fuji League; Fuji XC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a truck driver run me off of the road the first time that I ever biked, thank God for our State Troopers, who I just so happen to be married too!!!
Old 08-28-05, 09:22 PM
Michigan

Bikes: Trek 5200, Pedal Force Carbon Project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miniklobb
today a car full of kids buzzed me and honked causeing me to almost go down. They stop at the stop sign up ahead so i as i go buy i yell "you want to **** with me punks! i'll **** you up!" as loud as i could.they were a little shocked but laughed and drove away. So how do you goes handle these people? i mean i can handle the ocational insult or angered motorist for being in the way but this was down right dangerous.
Ignore them unless they run you off the road or toss anything in your direction, in which case you take the license number and make a complaint. Yelling back is useless, and stupid.
Old 08-28-05, 09:24 PM
Urban Shooter

Bikes: 2006 Gary Fisher Opie, 1980's Fuji Grand SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am just curious, if a motorist does spout off to you and you were to actually do something to their vehicle, such as shatter a window, knife a tire or something along those lines, would law enforcement in your area side with you? And I'm not talking about a situation where the motorist does something physical. Just curious, I hear all the replies talking about kicking ass or doing something to their car and I know in Oregon you'd probably be arrested for taking action like that if all the driver did was yell something at you.
Old 08-28-05, 09:28 PM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Urban Shooter
and I know in Oregon you'd probably be arrested for taking action like that if all the driver did was yell something at you.
they'd have to catch me first!
Old 08-28-05, 09:28 PM
Jakey
Feed me your soul!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urban Shooter
I am just curious, if a motorist does spout off to you and you were to actually do something to their vehicle, such as shatter a window, knife a tire or something along those lines, would law enforcement in your area side with you? And I'm not talking about a situation where the motorist does something physical. Just curious, I hear all the replies talking about kicking ass or doing something to their car and I know in Oregon you'd probably be arrested for taking action like that if all the driver did was yell something at you.

Without a witness.... your best to just keep riding and let them go. Cops generally aren't going to side with you, unless the driver is just a total ass. Plus...someone yelling at you is stupid, but I don't think its illegal.
Old 08-28-05, 09:29 PM
deedummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what action you take will depend on if you think you can take them on toe 2 toe... on a more serious note though, prolly best to ignore especially if they're just kids... my last encounter was with a big ole suv and the honking business... felt like retaliating by hanging on the rear windshield wiper... opted not to do so as the road was a bit narrow and i would've easily received the shaft... many times, better to just let things go and cool off...
Old 08-28-05, 09:31 PM
Jakey
Feed me your soul!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is always the paint to match sawed off shotgun under the toptube option. Although it takes some practice to be able to fire while on the bike, and stay upright...
Old 08-28-05, 09:34 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A thought: I have all the local police non-emergency numbers programmed into my cell phone. Get a plate and description, and report "erratic driving", which might at least result in a litte inconvenience. Or get the plate number and track them down a couple of days later and flatten their tires.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 08-28-05, 09:57 PM
sweetfracture3

Bikes: '06 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've pretty much killed anyone thats even blinked wrong near me - but that's just how I roll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.