Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anybody ride a Trek Checkpoint yet?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 06:08 PM
carlton

Bikes: canondale silk trail--92 schwinn criss cross--sun atlas x type--fugi odessa--2018 trek domane ALR5 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How upright is the riding position? Is it upright like the domane gravel or is it laid out horizontal like the boone crossbikes? Of course the local bike shop doesn't have one to test ride.
Old 04-01-18, 09:57 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I rode a 56 over the weekend, it was the ALR4 though. Apparently, in true Trek fashion, they announced a bike and have some colors and sizes not available for several months down the road.

It definitely felt more Domane than Boone. I've got 2500 miles on a Domane and maybe 500 on a Boone and I only rode the Checkpoint for maybe 10 miles.

It was nice, my first time riding an aluminum Trek in years and my first time ever on Tiagra hydro. Didn't hate either, in fact I might end up with an ALR4.
Old 04-02-18, 01:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../?shop=1682970
interesting, My LBS has no High end Gravel bike customers , so I doubt one will be stocked.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey
@ $2600~$3600, small wonder they don't stock them, there, either. .

Old 04-02-18, 01:35 PM
carlton

Bikes: canondale silk trail--92 schwinn criss cross--sun atlas x type--fugi odessa--2018 trek domane ALR5 disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feed back. Glad to hear it's more domanish than cross bike. I was able to test ride a AL3 domane and I liked the fit. I prefer a more upright rider position than most cross and road bikes provide. I was going to order a ALR5 domane and try to upsize the tires to either 700X38 or 650BX42 compass road tires. Still some doubts as to whether either of those tires will fit. Then the checkpoint was released and tire size would be no problem as well as you can mount a proper rear rack. Local bike shop has no demo checkpoints and doesn't want to order one in my rather large size of 58 or 61 with out it being presold. Really hate to order something I haven't testrode though.
Old 04-02-18, 04:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
My favorite LBS sent out an email about the Checkpoint. They seemed excited about it. It's near a town called Carlton, maybe you can work out a free stay there to go test ride it.
Old 04-02-18, 04:16 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by carlton
Local bike shop has no demo checkpoints and doesn't want to order one in my rather large size of 58 or 61 with out it being presold. Really hate to order something I haven't testrode though.
As someone who use to work at a Trek shop, I empathize. Especially if you legitimately need a 61. In my almost three years there, I think I sold three bikes in your size that weren't special ordered. I completely agree though, it's really hard to purchase a bike that you can't ride.

In looking at the Domane AL geometry and the Checkpoint (both AL and Carbon) geometries they're very close.

Hopefully you can work something out with the dealer!
Old 04-02-18, 05:07 PM
carlton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
My favorite LBS sent out an email about the Checkpoint. They seemed excited about it. It's near a town called Carlton, maybe you can work out a free stay there to go test ride it.
Hey since they named the town after me I guess I should hit them up. Haven't been in your area in a long time. Used to go to Renton to the Kenworth truck manufacturing plant and to boeing aircraft back when I was in the trucking business. Beautiful up there all the lakes and trees. I'm still trying to get Raleigh to give one of the old Raleigh carltons.
Old 04-02-18, 05:31 PM
carlton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
As someone who use to work at a Trek shop, I empathize. Especially if you legitimately need a 61. In my almost three years there, I think I sold three bikes in your size that weren't special ordered. I completely agree though, it's really hard to purchase a bike that you can't ride.

In looking at the Domane AL geometry and the Checkpoint (both AL and Carbon) geometries they're very close.

Hopefully you can work something out with the dealer!
My local trek dealer has always treated me right. And I do understand their fear of being stuck with an odd size bike that they would have a hard time selling if it didn't suite me. I talked to trek earlier today and they said the fit is between endurance road (domane) and cross (boone & crockett). They fill the its closer to cross than endurance road. After you told me your thoughts that it was closer to domane I was hoping they would say the same. Decisions decisions. They are on sale for $200 off until 4/8 so I need to make a decision or lose out on the sale.
Old 04-02-18, 05:49 PM
maddogue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How upright is the riding position? Is it upright like the domane gravel or is it laid out horizontal like the boone crossbikes? Of course the local bike shop doesn't have one to test ride.
Picked up the SL6 a few weeks back and have had it out on my local 18 mile gravel loop a couple of times, and on a 55 mile gravel race (Cascadia Super G) this last weekend. Stock, it is a little more stretched out and lower than my Domane. I was having some neck pain on the first few rides.

I swapped out the stem with the 90mm 17 degree version of the stock stem (stock is 7 degree and 100 mm) before this weekend's race, and it's very comfortable now. I also swapped out the cassette with a SRAM PG 1170 11-36T. A slight B-screw adjustment and the shifting's good (not as sharp as the stock Shimano cassette but smooth none-the-less). This made all the difference on some long, and often steep, climbs. I noticed quite few guys with without the big rear cassette were cooked after the first climb. I also put on a new set of bars that are a little more comfortable for me.

Overall, it's a very fun and versatile bike. Every time I ride it, I get that feeling I used to have as a kid ripping around the hills with my friends. Hard to say what contributes most to this. It's comfortable, fast, and most of all, very stable. Great power transfer and handles well on tight turns too. Pretty happy overall and am looking forward to some new riding options with it. However, I do think a front IsoSpeed would take this bike from good to great.
Old 04-02-18, 06:16 PM
carlton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. You kind of touched on the main reason I'm a bit worried about the fit. I have a degenerative disc in my lower neck that makes life miserable if I get to low and stretched out for very long. My local shop just called me minutes ago and wants me to come in for a fitting. he wants to see if he can replicate the stock fit, then show me what he can do with different stems etc such as you have done. Is your domane aluminum or carbon? If you were going on a paved road ride with the emphasis on comfort slightly more than speed would you take the domane or checkpoint? And welcome to the forum. I'm honored your first post went to my thread.

Last edited by carlton; 04-02-18 at 06:24 PM. Reason: add the honores
Old 04-02-18, 08:12 PM
footpower

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was at the local Trek store this weekend. I tried a Crossrip 2 and looked at the Checkpoints. The Crossrip 2 has a very comfortable upright position verus the more racing position of the Checkpoint.
Old 04-02-18, 08:27 PM
maddogue

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. You kind of touched on the main reason I'm a bit worried about the fit. I have a degenerative disc in my lower neck that makes life miserable if I get to low and stretched out for very long. My local shop just called me minutes ago and wants me to come in for a fitting. he wants to see if he can replicate the stock fit, then show me what he can do with different stems etc such as you have done. Is your domane aluminum or carbon? If you were going on a paved road ride with the emphasis on comfort slightly more than speed would you take the domane or checkpoint? And welcome to the forum. I'm honored your first post went to my thread.
On paved roads with speed; definitely the Domane. I have a 2015 carbon Domane 5.9 Dura Ace - by far the most comfortable bike I've owned over 20 years of cycling, even without the front IsoSpeed. It made a world of difference in terms of the speed and distance I can ride. If you pick up a disc version of the Domane, you'll be able to get fairly wide tires as well. I've taken my Domane on quite a few long (80+ mile) mixed gravel and pavement rides/fondos and it's done quite well.

I have some gravel rides planned for the summer that are fairly rough and would probably be too much for the Domane, but if you're wanting a great all around bike, and you only want one, I'd go with it over the Checkpoint.
Old 04-03-18, 01:30 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Felt like a truck to me, although surprisingly agile (due to the non slack head tube I imagine). Felt like something I could ride all day.

Look at the stack of your bike now vs the stack of the Checkpoint. Maybe a little less reach to help get you more upright.

Or like Maddog - if its "close" you can shorten and raise the stem to give you more effective stack and shorter reach.
Old 04-03-18, 11:46 PM
carlton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys I really appreciate all the feedback. If I buy the checkpoint I was going to upgrade the tires to 700X44 compass tires. That would increase the standover height a little. Add that to a somewhat tight standover already on the factory tires Made me decide a 61 frame will be just a tad to large. The 58 frame would require a lot more stem work to get it near the stack and reach of a domane 60 which I can easily fit. Pretty sure I can fit a 62 domane with nothing more than a shorter stem. But those big tires and rear rack on the checkpoint look so inviting. I have another thread going on on upsizing tires on the domane. Got zero replies. If any body on this thread has a aluminum frame disc brake ALR5 domane or ALR5 disc brake gravel domane and could measure your tire clearance below the fork crown and measure the width between the fork legs about 1/2 inch below the widest point of your tire sidewall you would be my new hero. Would really need to be accurate measurements though. If I could fit 700X38 compass tires or 650BX42 compass tires I would go Domane rather than checkpoint because its much easier to get the fit I want. Thanks to everybody again.
Old 04-04-18, 04:45 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Carlton,

The 60 Domane is 632mm stack / 383mm reach.

A couple of gravel bikes with similar fit:-

1. Diamondback Haanjo range (59/XL): 628mm stack / 376mm reach. Fits those Compass tyres. Has front and rear rack mounts.

2. Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross Disk (L): 629mm stack / 382mm reach. Steel frame. Fits those tyres. Mounting points.

3. REI Co-op ADV (XL): 630mm stack / 376mm reach. Fits 42mm tyres. More a touring bike style though.

4. Specialized Diverge (58) carbon: 639mm stack / 385mm reach. Fits 700x42, or 650b x 47.

5. Salsa Journeyman alu: 639mm stack / 394mm reach. Fits 700x50, or 650b x 2.2. Mounts galore.

6. Blue Prosecco EX carbon (XL): 628mm stack / 389mm reach. Only fits 700x38/40. Can't see mounting points. Chainstay pics: not 650b suitable.

Best to start with the correct frame geo in my opinion.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 04-04-18 at 11:36 PM. Reason: txt
Old 04-04-18, 02:57 PM
carlton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^I completely agree on the starting with the correct frame geo to begin with. I looked at the diverge comp 5 aluminum frame. but the shop only has a 56. Was under the impression it took only a 700X38. Even on the 56 I was loving the tall stack, short reach, and super low bottom bracket. The one thing that holds s me back on the diverge is the future shock. I'm a bit concerned about long term reliability due to the way its sealed and the headset is set. Probably be fine in the short term. I haven't looked at the other bikes you mentioned, but I will. Only have 2 bike shops locally. Cannondale/specialized and Trek/Giant.
Old 04-04-18, 04:10 PM
tangerineowl

^^^^I completely agree on the starting with the correct frame geo to begin with. I looked at the diverge comp 5 aluminum frame. but the shop only has a 56. Was under the impression it took only a 700X38. Even on the 56 I was loving the tall stack, short reach, and super low bottom bracket. The one thing that holds s me back on the diverge is the future shock. I'm a bit concerned about long term reliability due to the way its sealed and the headset is set. Probably be fine in the short term. I haven't looked at the other bikes you mentioned, but I will. Only have 2 bike shops locally. Cannondale/specialized and Trek/Giant.
My apologies, Carlton. You are correct; only the carbon Diverge frame fits those two largest tyres sizes.
I have edited my previous post.
Old 04-04-18, 09:37 PM
carlton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ No apologies needed. I thought I had got it wrong. Went back and looked myself. Trying to keep it Aluminum for budget and durability concerns.
Old 04-04-18, 11:24 PM
tangerineowl

^^^ No apologies needed. I thought I had got it wrong. Went back and looked myself. Trying to keep it Aluminum for budget and durability concerns.
Gotcha. I've added the Salsa Journeyman alu frame bike.
10mm longer than the alu Diverge (stem switch if required).
Note: the Sora build (700 or 650b option) has the carbon fork.

Prices are right up your alley, I think. Nice colours.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 04-04-18 at 11:33 PM. Reason: txt