Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Why I Believe Getting a Pro-Fit > Internet Advice from this Sub

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Why I Believe Getting a Pro-Fit > Internet Advice from this Sub

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 03:43 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
@calamarichris

Can you share Nate's contact information?
calamarichris has been banned from Bike Forums.
Old 04-23-24, 01:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Originally Posted by canuto
I should probably get a fitter. I have leg-length discrepancy. Where do folks go to research good fitters in their area?
Do you have an issue riding your bike? If no issues then you don't need a fit. Don't imagine issues. Find out if you actually have an issue.

Shims, spacers and running different crank lengths aren't something you should just automatically assume you need.

If when sitting in the saddle you still have that length discrepancy, then set your saddle to the shortest leg. Sometimes leg length difference is how you hold your pelvis due to things other than your legs. Sometimes that is what needs to be corrected. But only really necessary if you are having pain or other issues while actually on the bike and might include performance if you are entering competitions.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-28-24, 04:19 PM
canuto

Bikes: Raleigh Int'l, Bridgestone RB-1, Motobecane Grand Record, Centurion Elite RS, Fuji S-12-S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Do you have an issue riding your bike? If no issues then you don't need a fit. Don't imagine issues. Find out if you actually have an issue.
Good question and comment. Truth is, leg length is the least of my issues. I usually get more discomfort from bars that feel too low or distant from the saddle.
Old 04-29-24, 03:48 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
It seems to me that there are more than one fit, for the same person.

Generally now an open hip angle is recommended.

1980s riders used the bunched up at the back very closed hip angle fit. Even in sprints Eddy Merx would be way way bunched up at the back with a very closed hip angle.. This fit allows for a quad (and even abs) push forwards, followed by a glute catapult.

Since the 1990s, however, permanently (to a degree) superman sprinting in "aero position", using quads became faster in people using drugs, and radios to facilitate a tight formation sprint relay. Most folks became too fat to use the bunched up at the back closed hip style anyway. This is a shame at least because as you get older, using your glutes is very important. Classic road bike fit was almost forgotten.

There is more than one fit.
Old 04-29-24, 08:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Originally Posted by canuto
Good question and comment. Truth is, leg length is the least of my issues. I usually get more discomfort from bars that feel too low or distant from the saddle.
If you have a question about what to do for your discomfort with your bars, you should start a new thread asking about that.

Continuing a side discussion in a hijacked thread started by a member that has since been banned isn't a great idea. It'll get hard to tell whether later comments are for you or for older posts about the original subject.