Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vulcan Voyageur S

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-24, 04:06 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vulcan Voyageur S

Hey there I'm new to the forum's so hopefully this is the correct place to post. I have been looking for a vintage Dutch or cruiser style bike with around 7 gears that's in good shape ideally with friction shifters, fenders, chain guard and upright position with handlebars that wrap back more like this one. However I can't find anything about this brand online. Does anyone know anything about the quality of these and what it'd be worth? They're asking $200CAD on marketplace and I wanna go try it out this weekend but wanted to check if that's a decent price or too much first. Thanks!
Old 04-12-24, 04:07 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently I can't post URLs or pictures unless I have 10 posts :/
Old 04-12-24, 04:08 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ww w.facebook. com/share/XDK4pFjvTEEkBQCp/ ?mibextid=kL3p88
Old 04-12-24, 04:08 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just remove the spaces lol, that'll bring you to the ad hopefully 😅
Old 04-13-24, 07:15 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

​​​​​​

appears an asiatic bottom ender as one might encounter at a chainstore

stateside it would be about a forty dollar machine at a yard sale

suggest to wait for something a bit above

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-13-24, 11:51 AM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for going through the work of posting the pics yourself and the heads up. Very much appreciated! And good to know. So at 50-60 Canadian it may not be a terrible deal still but otherwise wait for something else? I haven't found a nice old Dutch style (what I want more than a cruiser) for less than like 4-500 so far.
Old 04-13-24, 02:25 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-13-24, 03:11 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 639 Posts
I would say pass on this one the low end steal wheels are the deal killer for me on this one will likely always be a bit off and close to no braking.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 04-15-24, 11:25 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the advice. Apparently they sold it for asking price later in the day after I'd initially planned to get it so good them I guess haha.

I'm just starting to get into the scene and getting more interested in restoring or building my own custom bikes starting with vintage frames and solid parts. Ideally to start I'd like something I can mostly restore that is a good deal on a cheap bike to see if it's something I want to continue as a hobby. But either way I've been putting off buying a bike for too long cause theft is bad in my city so I don't want to get something that'll be a huge loss if it's stolen, and obviously I've done my research on how to best lock it with multiple locks in the right places as well as not locking it in the same places on a schedule.

But I'm curious what kind of brands I should be looking for in Canada that have a similar Dutch style. Ideally I'd like a bike with internal gears instead of a derailleur but I suspect that won't be too easy to find for cheap so I figured I'd start with something more available like a derailleur. A lot of bikes in seeing in my area that have similar geometry of something I like are some falcon, CCM, Raleigh, supercycle, another Vulcan surprisingly and then most of these aren't step through frames but still a Dutch style and geometry and some more Racey but that I might be able to convert to be more comfortable like some sekine, Eaton, Cannondale, Norco, protour, hiwatha, centurion, and fiori and these are newer and more cruiser style but Schwinn, everyday, new and old retrospect and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Any recommendations or is it important to look at every one separately?

I have been doing research on how to go and check the frame for symmetry and make sure the headpiece and bottom sprocket and things are tight without much or any play. But I know nothing about materials or quality of different brakes or shifters etc. Ideally I'd like to have something light made out of aluminum and there is one new Raleigh step through cruiser but with the vintage 2 tube top with disc brakes that's aluminum that seems decent but it's not exactly the style I want.
Old 04-15-24, 11:26 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And if this isn't the right place to post for that I can move somewhere else I just figured I'd ask here since there'd be some cohesion with my initial post. And trying to get my post count up a bit so can post links to pictures at least 😅
Old 04-16-24, 09:17 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Renaadoeiburamu
I appreciate the advice. Apparently they sold it for asking price later in the day after I'd initially planned to get it so good them I guess haha.

I'm just starting to get into the scene and getting more interested in restoring or building my own custom bikes starting with vintage frames and solid parts. Ideally to start I'd like something I can mostly restore that is a good deal on a cheap bike to see if it's something I want to continue as a hobby. But either way I've been putting off buying a bike for too long cause theft is bad in my city so I don't want to get something that'll be a huge loss if it's stolen, and obviously I've done my research on how to best lock it with multiple locks in the right places as well as not locking it in the same places on a schedule.

But I'm curious what kind of brands I should be looking for in Canada that have a similar Dutch style. Ideally I'd like a bike with internal gears instead of a derailleur but I suspect that won't be too easy to find for cheap so I figured I'd start with something more available like a derailleur. A lot of bikes in seeing in my area that have similar geometry of something I like are some falcon, CCM, Raleigh, supercycle, another Vulcan surprisingly and then most of these aren't step through frames but still a Dutch style and geometry and some more Racey but that I might be able to convert to be more comfortable like some sekine, Eaton, Cannondale, Norco, protour, hiwatha, centurion, and fiori and these are newer and more cruiser style but Schwinn, everyday, new and old retrospect and some others I'm sure I'm forgetting. Any recommendations or is it important to look at every one separately?

I have been doing research on how to go and check the frame for symmetry and make sure the headpiece and bottom sprocket and things are tight without much or any play. But I know nothing about materials or quality of different brakes or shifters etc. Ideally I'd like to have something light made out of aluminum and there is one new Raleigh step through cruiser but with the vintage 2 tube top with disc brakes that's aluminum that seems decent but it's not exactly the style I want.
There should be lots of Raleigh Sports models available. These are fitted with a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed IGH. Good starting point if you don’t have a lot of hills. Also, check out the IGH hubbed Japanese brands. Many of these had 5 speed hubs. Don’t know where you live, but there may be a bike co-op or bike kitchen in your area. These are a great source of information & refurbished bikes.
Cheers,
Van
Old 04-17-24, 08:14 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba. So pretty flat, 3 gears should be good for the most part. I haven't been seeing any Raleigh Sports with the 3 speed IGH. But I found one with d-114 badging and says made in japan on it. The other is an Easton glider. Posted pics on another post I made but I'll post em here as well to see what you think. I have plans to go look at them Friday. $60 for one and $75 for the other. Might be able to talk them down a bit cause they're out of town so it's a bit of a drive to go there.
Old 04-17-24, 08:15 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 04-18-24, 09:13 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Gliders are good solid bikes that were manufactured by Raleigh for Eatons department stores back in the day when such stores sold good quality bikes
I bought one at a garage sale many years ago for $25. it probably didn't have more than 100 km on it. I rode it for many years until it was stolen.
The other bike is lower quality and its has the inferior Shimano 3 speed hub

Last edited by alcjphil; 04-18-24 at 09:51 AM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-18-24, 03:07 PM
Renaadoeiburamu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Gliders are good solid bikes that were manufactured by Raleigh for Eatons department stores back in the day when such stores sold good quality bikes
I bought one at a garage sale many years ago for $25. it probably didn't have more than 100 km on it. I rode it for many years until it was stolen.
The other bike is lower quality and its has the inferior Shimano 3 speed hub
Okay, I think I will buy them both as I got them both down to $60 Canadian which I feel these years isn't a bad price. However I have another question for another bike. This one has the original dynamo supposedly working but needs a new bulb and I've already found a fairly cheap led replacement. The bike has been fully serviced already and I can't get them lower than $160 but it looks to be in good condition otherwise. Is $160 a rip-off or just an average price? It's also a 1957 so I'm not sure if those should be more valuable than closer to 70's era. I've just started researching vintage bikes for a few weeks now so I have much to learn and appreciate all of the friendly and knowledgeable people I've interacted with so far on this forum! 😊🙏🏻