Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1973 Miyata **********?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-23, 08:13 AM
loginhater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1973 Miyata **********?

Anyone want to take a shot at this one? Got it from a family friend who barely used it. Serial number is B48xxxx, which is a 1973 from the Miyata dating convention I found on line. Tape measure sizing came out at 50cm. Only defects I'm seeing is some paint chips on and around the top tube, plus a scratch. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by loginhater; 09-10-23 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-10-23, 08:54 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 969 Posts
Very interesting bike, I have a couple of question on the parts. What model are the cranks, shifters, and the rear derailleur

As a whole bike not a ton of money like $80-120.

If the cranks are Dura-Ace and the rear derailleur is crane, parted out will be worth more. I think the long cage Crane go for $100 or so on the EBay. The DA cranks about $60-80. The High Flange Shimano hubs can be very fast rollers, those can fetch $40-50 maybe a little more as whole wheels. If the front derailleur is DA it's about $30-40, if it's eagle .05 cents

The finger tip shifters, I cannot tell what brand they are, about $30 if Suntour, maybe $50 if they Shimano.

The frame by itself, with headset, about $20.

Looks like it's all Dura Ace but the photo detail is not that good.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 09-10-23 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-10-23, 09:33 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
It breaks my heart that this is the reality a lot of fine vintage steel face. Maybe this is what needs to happen before they are rare enough for people to notice, like when the 356 Porsche where considered dated old cars good only for spare parts.

Ideally the bike will find a stable to belong to but I can understand why they get parted. People prefer to spend $400 on some junky bike at the store but not even half on these.

By the way that handlebar is also desirable to touring and randoneering, it would be an easy $20-$30

Last edited by abdon; 09-10-23 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-10-23, 10:00 AM
loginhater

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. Here's better pics of the rear derailleur, handlebars, cranks, and front hub.

Old 09-10-23, 10:17 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 969 Posts
Thanks for the other pictures. Parts wise the tourney is not of higher value. As a whole bike I'm now lesser at $100 on good day, but should still sell at the lower of $80 if it's working no problems.
Old 09-10-23, 02:13 PM
abdon 

You plan on keeping it or selling it? If you plan on selling your best bet is the spring when folks are beginning to dream about all the cycling they want to do. One thing that brings you the most money is not the bike itself but really good pictures of it.

At that time I would not hesitate to overprice it a bit. I would ask for $200 and discount it from there. The thing is, you could sell that bike today for $50, just about anybody here would snatch it just for the bar end shifters, handlebar, and a few other bits. Top dollar takes time because the people that really want it are far in between. So $200, reduce it by $20 every week.

I would not sell it for under $100 because I'm perfectly capable to part it myself, so I would look for a buyer that obviously wants it complete, which usually means the person willing to pay top dollar.
Old 09-17-23, 08:50 PM
Hvac

Bikes: About 10

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
As an aside, if a bike is functional I’m reluctant to part it out. Service it and give it to someone who will ride. “If it ain’t broke don’t part it out.”
Old 09-17-23, 09:09 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 332 Posts
Price also depends on your market. Fall/winter is when we have bike riding weather, so it's a good time to sell bikes in Phoenix. It's a pretty bike and it's small enough that a lot of ladies could ride it. I'll be selling bikes next weekend at the downtown Phoenix farmers market, and I think I could sell it for $160 to $200 depending on how heavy it is.

If you're in the rust belt, it's a bad time of year to sell a bike and value is likely half for the complete bike.
Old 09-17-23, 10:39 PM
abdon 

Originally Posted by Hvac
As an aside, if a bike is functional I’m reluctant to part it out. Service it and give it to someone who will ride. “If it ain’t broke don’t part it out.”
It is a fine sentiment and one that I share but often it just means that it gets parted by somebody else.

The thing is if a bike is worth half what the parts will bring every time it gets sold there is a better than even chance that it will not stay together. Once sold or given away the decision is no longer yours.
Old 09-18-23, 06:56 AM
Hvac

Bikes: About 10

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Well, I don’t mind if someone else is ignorant. If he/she needs the money then that’s their problem. Sellers regret? Just move on. Karma, pay it forward.
hvac
Old 09-18-23, 09:46 AM
abdon 

Originally Posted by Hvac
Well, I don’t mind if someone else is ignorant. If he/she needs the money then that’s their problem. Sellers regret? Just move on. Karma, pay it forward.
hvac
There is no ignorance involved, just choices. When a bike gets parted it goes into other bikes that need the parts. Being an organ donor to help other bikes live is a honorable end.

The real shame is when they end up in the dumpster, and plenty of high quality vintage bikes have met that fate https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...aved-dump.html
Likes For abdon: