Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Oh...Ive been a BAD Diabetic!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-11, 10:06 PM
Allen55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post

Today was NOT a good day for me. My intentions were to get up, go to the Silver Comet Trail and bust off another 10-15 miles, come home and eat a good dinner and watch LSU beat Alabama (Geaux Tigers!).

What actually happened was, I got up and started watching Gameday on ESPN. Got sucked in to that and then the first game came on. I figured, what the heck and watched it thinking I would go ride after that game. I got hungry about then and figured I would order a pizza so i could have some today and put the rest up for tomorrow.

Well, before I knew it, I had eaten the WHOLE pizza! Now, that in itself would make me a TERRIBLE diabetic, but the day was not over. OH NO!

I proceeded to sit on my butt all day, watching football and ended up going to the store to get a snack. I seriously went to get something healthy. Really, I did! Ended up with a 20oz Coke and three candy bars. And yes, I drank the Coke and ate two of the candy bars before I realized it.

So, instead of going to knock out my miles today, I spent the day with an old love of mine...PIZZA and CANDY! It was like I couldn't stop myself. I craved it. I NEEDED it! I would have done a chocolate IV today, if it was offered to me, I think.

All of my hard work...down the drain.
Old 11-05-11, 10:26 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ouch well theres always tomorrow. Did you check your blood sugar after the pizza etc?
Old 11-05-11, 10:27 PM
Allen55

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
na, didn't check it. Im going to wait and check in the morning when I get up. sigh.
Old 11-05-11, 10:31 PM
mgw189

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.3 FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL not a good day but then again I have also put back on othe 20 lbs that I had lost thanks to sept and not riding at all. Now the weather is getting cold. I just bought a trainer and will be using that inside hopefully
Old 11-06-11, 12:57 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm type 2 with insulin resistance. By being consistant I've went from a Blood Sugar of 230 to 78. A1c 12.3 to 4.8. Still taking 500 mg of Metformin. Not sure why. Your one day messup isn't the end of the world you can get right back on the wagon.What you don't want to do is try to make it all up by fasting tomorrow. Just go back to eating right.

As far as riding: I'm wondering if you had planned on going on a 6 mile ride wouldn't that have been easier to get off the couch and "just do it". When I began "the journey" my goal was and is "Just showing up is a success." Now 27 months later I have to force myself to take a day off.
Old 11-06-11, 01:02 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Allen55
na, didn't check it. Im going to wait and check in the morning when I get up. sigh.
Let me be blunt: that is seriously stupid! Why would you want to live with a blood sugar that could be 3-5X normal for an extra 10 or 20 hours? Does the thought of suffering from blindness, kidney failure, or diabetic neuropathy down the road appeal to you?

As a (Type 1) diabetic myself, I can tell you that we all give in to cravings occasionally. When it happens, the most important thing you can do is check your blood sugar and do whatever is necessary to bring it back into a normal range as quickly as possible. Pizza, in particular, is one of those foods that can be very difficult to manage. Even with an insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor, it still gives me trouble if I eat more than a couple of pieces...
Old 11-06-11, 02:09 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
And you are (or want to be) a truck driver?

Frankly, you should be ashamed of yourself for the lack of discpline now that could put people in danger in the future.
Old 11-06-11, 02:15 AM
Emskirch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan

Frankly, you should be ashamed of yourself for the lack of discpline now that could put people in danger in the future.
Because we all all perfect.

Tomorrow is another day, although I agree you should be testing your BS now, not hours later.

Keep your head up and learn from this.
Old 11-06-11, 03:38 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would question the "healthy" part of going to the store.

You gotta surround yourself with healthy food. If you want pizza.... make it. If you dont want to make it, buy a personal pan sized pizza. Want candy? just get one. JUST ONE. As clydes, we gotta watch what we eat and it is a life thing. Some people will disagree with me and frankly I dont care but at the end of the day you can either control what you eat or not. I cant (like you perhaps??) so I have to take extreme measure. Healthy food in the house, fruits and veggies and healthy snacks. Yup, sometimes it is tough. And for riding, just get out there. Might be good to sell the TV or really limit it. Go out.... have a nice ride. Cut the excuses and go for it.

I say this with love and respect!
Old 11-06-11, 07:47 AM
Arvadaman

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. I know what you mean.

I started Myfitnesspal yesterday and it would have screamed at me and stomped out of the room it it could.

I will get up, dust myself off, and give it another try today.
Old 11-06-11, 08:10 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Rowan

In the OP's defense, he's not driving at the moment, or in the 48 hours following his binge. Other than that, I agree.

Old 11-06-11, 08:38 AM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you looking for empathy? Encouragement? Forgiveness? Sympathy? It seems you're dealing with personal choices. Seriously, why tell us?
Old 11-06-11, 08:56 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by webist
Are you looking for empathy? Encouragement? Forgiveness? Sympathy? It seems you're dealing with personal choices. Seriously, why tell us?
I assume he's telling us because most of us have been there. I was (yesterday).

Allen,
You're hard work is not down the drain due to one day of over-the-top eating. Just don't turn it into a habit. Get back to it and remind yourself what is important (health) and what's not (food cravings).
Old 11-06-11, 08:59 AM
Allen55

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
I guess I'm telling you because I'm trying to hold myself accountable. I screwed up and it was bothering me. If me posting that bothers you, just dont read it.
Old 11-06-11, 09:25 AM
Neil_B

I think the OP is bragging. :-)

Old 11-06-11, 09:26 AM
Allen55

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
definitely not bragging.
Old 11-06-11, 10:48 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess I'm telling you because I'm trying to hold myself accountable.
Bull. Using the Internet to tell people you've never met that you're just been on a 10,000 calorie junk food binge isn't being accountable. Testing your blood sugar after the binge is being accountable. Or avoiding the binge all together. Seriously: how hard is it to make a sandwich (or a salad...) rather than going to the trouble of ordering a pizza?
Old 11-06-11, 10:52 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't worry Allen. The guys here are into "tough love"... at least I hope so.
Old 11-06-11, 11:12 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Quit watching games. If I watch a game, I want nachos, pizza etc. I gave up watching sports for riding on the weekends.

Since I've been riding on weekends, I haven't watched a game in maybe 12 years. That many less nanchos for me.

I don't watch my diet real close and only if I go for an event. But I'm sure a riding Mr. Beanz is better for me than a nacho eating game watching Mr. Beanz.
Old 11-06-11, 11:37 AM
LazinCajun

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Quit watching games. If I watch a game, I want nachos, pizza etc. I gave up watching sports for riding on the weekends.

Since I've been riding on weekends, I haven't watched a game in maybe 12 years. That many less nanchos for me.

I don't watch my diet real close and only if I go for an event. But I'm sure a riding Mr. Beanz is better for me than a nacho eating game watching Mr. Beanz.
If he's a tiger fan, then not watching that game is a fate worse than death.

Geaux Tigers!
Old 11-06-11, 11:41 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Today was NOT a good day for me. My intentions were to get up, go to the Silver Comet Trail and bust off another 10-15 miles, come home and eat a good dinner and watch LSU beat Alabama (Geaux Tigers!).

What actually happened was, I got up and started watching Gameday on ESPN. Got sucked in to that and then the first game came on. I figured, what the heck and watched it thinking I would go ride after that game. I got hungry about then and figured I would order a pizza so i could have some today and put the rest up for tomorrow.

Well, before I knew it, I had eaten the WHOLE pizza! Now, that in itself would make me a TERRIBLE diabetic, but the day was not over. OH NO!

I proceeded to sit on my butt all day, watching football and ended up going to the store to get a snack. I seriously went to get something healthy. Really, I did! Ended up with a 20oz Coke and three candy bars. And yes, I drank the Coke and ate two of the candy bars before I realized it.

So, instead of going to knock out my miles today, I spent the day with an old love of mine...PIZZA and CANDY! It was like I couldn't stop myself. I craved it. I NEEDED it! I would have done a chocolate IV today, if it was offered to me, I think.

All of my hard work...down the drain.
What kind of pizza ?
Old 11-06-11, 11:43 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LazinCajun
If he's a tiger fan, then not watching that game is a fate worse than death.

Geaux Tigers!
Old 11-06-11, 11:47 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Bull. Using the Internet to tell people you've never met that you're just been on a 10,000 calorie junk food binge isn't being accountable. Testing your blood sugar after the binge is being accountable. Or avoiding the binge all together. Seriously: how hard is it to make a sandwich (or a salad...) rather than going to the trouble of ordering a pizza?
I pretty sure he's a recently diagnosed type 2. Unless he's using insulin to treat it, there's not much to do post binge to correct. Even if he is using insulin, does he have the experience to adjust his meds safely? When I started out the big danger was low Blood Sugar Levels. I remember the first time I dropped into the 70's. My body wasn't used to it. It scared the **** out of me. He's got a lot on his plate right now and sharing success and failure is going to help him cope.Let's not become a zero tolerence forum.
Old 11-06-11, 12:06 PM
DaHaMac

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Clubman, 2010 Schwinn LeTour, 2012 Raleigh Sojourn, 2011 Schwinn Voyaguer 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz may be on to something here. I can't watch sports on TV due to all of the commercials. Allen you may have been sucked into the sublime world of commercial advertising to such a degree that it triggered all of your binge cravings! When you see food on TV you will actually begin to salivate in preparation for eating the food you are seeing. Think about the quality of food that the TV shows you during those games!

Do you have DVR or VCR? Record the game while you are out enjoying the bike ride and then fast forward through commercials later. BTW, I quit watching "Man vs Food" because I was always tempted to eat mass quantities of poor quality food after watching that show.
Old 11-06-11, 12:30 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by dcrowell
Don't worry Allen. The guys here are into "tough love"... at least I hope so.
To an extent. But the OP was banned from driving trucks for a while because of his diabetes. Seems we can question his judgement to the extent we could that of, say, a truck driver with photosensitive epilepsy staring at blinking lights for an hour or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.