Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Pump For My Bike After Flat

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 08:01 PM
ronbridal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last weeknight group ride for the year tonight and I got a flat 2 blocks in. It gets dark here early now so I told the group to take off, I would take care of things on my own. The flat was a slow leaker, so I figured I could just pump it full and maybe make it back to my apartment a mile away. No such luck. My mini Crank Brothers pump didn't work and I was stuck making some phone calls for a ride. Fortunately a guy stopped by that I trusted and I threw my bike in the back of his pickup and he gave me a ride home. A big thank you to him. Now the dilema. I need a new pump and I am kind of looking for something besides a mini-pump or frame pump. I know that gives me one option: CO2 pump. Any suggestions on a particular brand or pump? Thanks for the help! Ron
Old 10-26-05, 08:11 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
CO2, either the Planet Bike Red Zeppelin or Genuine Inn. Air Chuck SL.. Both are small and work well.. You need to use threaded cartridges but that is no big deal..
Old 10-26-05, 10:22 PM
CycleFreakLS

Bikes: Litespeed, Medici, Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been said here before but ... Topeak Road Morph is a great pump. There isn't a frame pump around that will get you to 120 psi faster (fewer strokes).
Old 10-27-05, 01:25 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by socalrider
CO2, either the Planet Bike Red Zeppelin or Genuine Inn. Air Chuck SL.. Both are small and work well.. You need to use threaded cartridges but that is no big deal..
From my perspective, threaded cartridges ARE a big deal. They're much harder to find, and they cost a whole lot more than the non-threaded ones. I can purchase 12g non-threaded cartridges at Wal-Mart for around 80 cents each. The 16g threaded cartridges tend to run around $3 each.

Non-threaded cartridges are also readily available at local hardware and sporting goods stores. Threaded cartridges, on the other hand, are generally only found at bike shops.

To the OP - go with CO2. You'll get back on the road a whole lot quicker, and you won't have to have an ugly pump strapped to your bike. I recommend the Innovations brand...easy to use, takes threaded or non-threaded, and with the trigger dispenser, filling is not an "all or nothing" affair. It's easy to fit the inflator (with one cartridge in the body), and 2 additional cartridges, in my small seat bag. With this kit, in over 20,000 miles I've never once not been able to get home due to running out of CO2.
Old 10-27-05, 10:02 AM
bvfrompc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleFreakLS
Been said here before but ... Topeak Road Morph is a great pump. There isn't a frame pump around that will get you to 120 psi faster (fewer strokes).
Actually my CO2 takes a lot less strokes and gets me to 120psi much faster and is a lot lighter and why the heck did it take me so long to go CO2 becuase it is like magic and the only place for a pump is a nice floor pump at home.
Old 10-27-05, 10:19 AM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pump doesn't matter if you don't carry a spare tube.
Old 10-27-05, 10:23 AM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak road morph if you stay with a pump.

CO2, shrug, i need reliability at 6:30 in the morning in the pouring rain and pitch black during an hour long commute. If your just recreational rider, then co2 im sure works great. If it fails and your outta cartridges, you can phone home for a ride.
Old 10-27-05, 10:39 AM
shnapper
Speed Junky

Bikes: The nice ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I carry these...........

On left genuine Innovation ultraflate pro, aprox $19.99 and discontinued for a more stupid looking
design.

On right performance bike Hurricane quick shot (same indenticle inflator except for color)
$12.00 and I believe still currently available.

Remember these are the same product most likely made by the same asian factory. Spend
your money wisely, shop around and get more for your hard earned buck.

Old 10-27-05, 12:33 PM
lws

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last week I got a flat for the first time in years. In a cold rain, no less. When I tried to fix it, I discovered that my Topeak frame pump had failed. When I tried to fix the pump, I discovered that it was glued together and can't be fixed -- not permanently, not temporarily, not jury-rigged, not nohow. What's the point of a frame pump if it's not reliable? Might as well use CO2.
Old 10-27-05, 02:17 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jarery
Topeak road morph if you stay with a pump.

CO2, shrug, i need reliability at 6:30 in the morning in the pouring rain and pitch black during an hour long commute. If your just recreational rider, then co2 im sure works great. If it fails and your outta cartridges, you can phone home for a ride.
That why I carry both CO2 and a minipump. I use the pump to set the tube and tire, then the CO2 to quickly finish the job. No wasted CO2, no blown out tires, and, if I ever have mroe flats then cartridges, a back up system to limp home.
Old 10-27-05, 02:31 PM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he said he had a slow leak. if you have co2, it might not be enough to get you back. if your pump fails, then some of the blame has to be on you...you have to be responsible for checking your equipment. sure you can blame the store that sold it to you, or the company that made it, but you're the one that bought it.

I have a full size frame pump on one bike and a mini pump on another. it may not look as cool as co2, but they have yet to fail me. it you're really concerned about the look of the pump...all I have to say to you is: POSER!
Old 10-27-05, 03:08 PM
ronbridal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fogrider
he said he had a slow leak. if you have co2, it might not be enough to get you back. if your pump fails, then some of the blame has to be on you...you have to be responsible for checking your equipment. sure you can blame the store that sold it to you, or the company that made it, but you're the one that bought it.

I have a full size frame pump on one bike and a mini pump on another. it may not look as cool as co2, but they have yet to fail me. it you're really concerned about the look of the pump...all I have to say to you is: POSER!
I never stated I was concerned about the look of the pump. I just stopped by the lbs and will be buying an Innovations CO2 pump. It fits both types of cartridges and appears to be similar to something I have used before for purposes other than filling a tire. And yeah, from another post, I probably would have been better off making sure the pump was still in perfect working order before I embarked on my 2 block journey. . . live and learn. Thanks to all! ROn
Old 10-27-05, 03:15 PM
Jaye
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to be a jerk or anything but why did a flat ONE MILE from home necesitate a calling spree? Should be a pretty easy walk.
Old 10-27-05, 04:55 PM
ronbridal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaye
Not to be a jerk or anything but why did a flat ONE MILE from home necesitate a calling spree? Should be a pretty easy walk.
Simply put . . . I didn't want to walk. I live in a relatively small town so it wouldn't be any trouble for a friend to get me. Besides, walking in shoes with cleats sucks.
Old 10-27-05, 09:55 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jaye
Not in road bike shoes.
Old 10-27-05, 10:37 PM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Decathlon ****box.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleFreakLS

The Road Morph rules. I will never waste time with CO2 again.