Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Pump vs. CO2 cartridges... or both at once!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-05, 11:53 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After I flatted a mile and change from home last week in the cold and dark, it occurred to me that maybe, just maybe I wouldn't enjoy my arm falling off from pumping a tire with a mini pump under those conditions. It was all good in the cool late summer evenings, but not, brrrr, when it's below 40. It's not that I expect a lot of flats (in fact, I've had but three since (re)starting commuting, two of which could have been avoided (spoke and rim tape problems)), but a mini-pump simply takes too long compared to a good frame fit pump (what I use on the road bike, get a good one and it's easy enough) which isn't an option on my folder.

So, this little guy on sale, with the latest 20% coupon and 10% from Team Performance (plus the great cartridge compatibility) seemed too good to pass up. The other motivation in this is that my better half has been lukcy to date in that the only flats she's ever had have been with me or near home. She's not terribly experienced at changing a tube -- we practice it from time to time -- but I'd like to make it easy on her to fill the tire when the inevitable happens. So, if I like this little combo gadget, I'll get her one too.

What do you all use?
Old 10-29-05, 12:05 PM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got an older version of the same thing. Plus Conti Gatorskins. Fast inflation with manual backup - modern convience with reliability.
Old 10-29-05, 01:30 PM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Decathlon ****box.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak Road Morph.

A little bigger than a mini, smaller than a frame pump, almost as good as a floor pump.
Old 10-29-05, 01:40 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
co2 cartridges are sweet. i never used one before, but on a long ride with a few of our finest BF members (wheezl was there), slvoid loaned me a co2 after i flatted. 130psi in about 2 seconds. as opposed to 80psi with a ton of effort on my compact pump. i really gotta keep a co2 with me from now on. i'm a believer.

either that or get a larger pump. the tiny pump that fits in my saddle bag is nice because it's size, but not too great in an emergency.
Old 10-29-05, 02:04 PM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
I guess it depends on how many flats you get and how much money you have.

I'd also hate to inflate with a cartridge after having missed a piece of glass in the tire casing that caused the original flat causing a second flat and wasting the cartidge.

You still have to get off the bike and get dirty to change the tube, so an extra upper body workout to get me home doesn't bother me too much if it only happens once in a blue moon or so (oops, I think I just jinxed myself)
Old 10-29-05, 02:08 PM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also, if you are riding in an urban area, don't forget that a schrader/presta adapter and a stack of quarters works ok too.
Old 10-29-05, 02:33 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I have that same Genuine Innovations pump but I have yet to use it. I bought it for my second road bike which, because of the frame shape, is impossible to mount a frame pump on. That GI pump fits in my medium sized seatbag. Hopefully I never need to use it though. I'm spoiled by the Topeak Road Morph on the other road bike which, because of my Armadillos, hasn't gotten much use aside from other people's bike. To me, that pump is the best option if you have room to fit it. Aside from a mechanical failure of the pump, it won't leave you stranded unlike a few misfires with CO2 could.
Old 10-29-05, 02:44 PM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put my road morph on my right seat stay. Although with my Hardcase tires I have only used it helping others.
Old 10-29-05, 04:53 PM
jimtoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry both. I use the mini to set the bead and to make sure there are no holes in the tube. Once I am sure I am good to go.... I use a schader adapter to ensure that I don't get any wacky misfires.
Old 10-29-05, 05:05 PM
spider-man
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both CO2 and pumps, and I prefer my Zefal frame pump. It gets tyres up to high pressure without too much effort (better than my Crank Bros. mini pump, for certain). I just don't like carrying around cannisters, and I also don't like running the risk of running out of CO2. The pump always works.

That said, if I carried both, I'd probably use the CO2 more often if I carried both. It is fast and convenient.
Old 10-29-05, 05:10 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I leave a Schraeder adapter screwed on to one of my Presta valves. Handy little things if there's a gas station nearby.
Old 10-29-05, 05:16 PM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better than when I used N2O for my inflator... for some reason everytime I needed to use a cartridge it was empty
Old 10-29-05, 05:46 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It may be a great little pump, but how good is the actual pump? Why would you need both systems? As a back up? What if the pump head fails? Then you can't use either!

Ok enough my silly questions. It's probably an OK pump. I just can't rationalize carrying around CO2 carts and have to worry about the trash (although most riders just throw them on the side of the road because I see these things all over the streets!), you also have to make sure to restock your saddle bag with new ones or run to the store to buy more before your next ride. Also CO2 bleeds thru butyl tubes faster then regular air by at least 2 to 1, so when you get home you have to deflate your tube and refill with regular pump air. To me CO2 is a big hassle UNLESS your racing then the faster inflation will cut down your down time fixing a flat.

I ride in remote areas and taking precautions in case of a problem is critical to avoid a long walk. So on my really long rides of over 75 miles I carry 2 pumps in case one breaks. I also always carry a Schrader to Presta converter (brass not plastic-the plastic doesn't work good at all) just in case I need air and the pump failed and I might be able to get to a gas station. I carry quarters to use in the air machine. I carry a spare ultralight racing tire and a ultralight tube, along with 6 glueless patches and a boot patch. I carry other stuff as well but this is about pumps and flats.
Old 10-29-05, 08:56 PM
jz19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to carry only a Crank Bros mini pump until last week when I got a flat riding to work while it was raining. Now I am also carrying CO2. If I am riding home and I am not in a hurry I would not mind using the mini pump but if you need to get to work, the CO2 gives you instant inflation. The mini pump is good and really compact so I like it but it is sort of a pain to use.
Old 10-29-05, 09:07 PM
gudel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After purchasing armadillo, mr tuffy and specialized thorn resistant tubes, I haven't used the CO2 cartridges.
Old 10-29-05, 09:10 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gudel
After purchasing armadillo, mr tuffy and specialized thorn resistant tubes, I haven't used the CO2 cartridges.
Why not ditch the Mr Tuffy and the thorn resistant tubes? You certainly don't need them using Armadillos! And you'll lighten up your rotating mass by at least one pound.
Old 10-29-05, 10:55 PM
MarkS

Bikes: Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by froze
I Also CO2 bleeds thru butyl tubes faster then regular air by at least 2 to 1, so when you get home you have to deflate your tube and refill with regular pump air.
Does anyone have an authoritative source on this? CO2 should be a bigger, heavier molecule than either N2 or O2, so if anything I would expect it to leak slower. Checked Sheldon Brown's page, but he didn't say anything about that particular aspect.
Old 10-29-05, 11:04 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
On short city trips or my commute, I just carry like 3-4 cartridges.
On LOOONG trips, I have a pack anyway, so I have my minipump in there plus food and water.